Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very promicing performance...

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
On a lighter note, I also hate his sorts and baseball cap look, someone have a word, he is a fat forty odd year old in the public eye -for gods sake wear a suit!).

Not lighter, very serious point. As a fat, bald, fucker in my forties I offer this advise to Mr Slade (and about four hundred other blokes at Withdean) - STOP DRESSING LIKE A TEENAGER. A forty year old man in a baseball lacks all gravitas. Dress for success Mr Slade.

Well as there's bugger all football chat today I thought I would refresh this.

It was a promising performance, particulalrly after the good second half at Millwall.

There are so many so called experts who have so little patience or understanding and who are blinkered one way or another.

Slade is developing a nice squad and one that has so much more promise than last year. There is a lot more football being played and by better players.

Dickinson, Bennett, Crofts, Tunny, Davies are all much better quality players than we have had and Dicker carried on from where he left off.

If people can get real and stop being so sodding negative and give the team and manager a chance this could be a good season.

If we're in the bottom 4 at Christmas then moan away, if however we are stable mid table, then stop moaning :albion2::albion2::albion2:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Slade is developing a nice squad and one that has so much more promise than last year. There is a lot more football being played and by better players.

Dickinson, Bennett, Crofts, Tunny, Davies are all much better quality players than we have had and Dicker carried on from where he left off.

If people can get real and stop being so sodding negative and give the team and manager a chance this could be a good season.

If we're in the bottom 4 at Christmas then moan away, if however we are stable mid table, then stop moaning :albion2::albion2::albion2:[/QUOTE]

Our position in the league would suggest that they are not better players, or if they are, they are not performing. The players mentioned look ok, and may well be a slight improvement on last season, but, with the exception of Dicker, they are not in the same class as the players who got us promotion over under Adams and Taylor and surely that is what TB is aiming for? I can't see that any off the new signings will contribute much to a promotion season over the next couple of years. For a start, to be in the top 6 you probably need to score 60 or so goals, and I just can't see this squad has enough goals in it.

Slade seems to have been signing players just for the sake of it, there is no plan as to where or how they will play. There doesn't sem to have been a tactical plan to fill in the obvious gaps in the team, the signings have been about getting bodies into the squad in the hope something will work out.

Tactically we are playing naive football with 2 out and out wingers, they give the full backs very little protection and as we have seen, you end up with the 2 central midfielders playing defensively and too far away from the strikers. It's rare for successful teams to play with 2 wingers, so did we really need to sign Davies on loan, when we already have Bennett, Cox, McLeod and even OGH?

I was good to win on Saturday, but beating Wycombe, a team that even their own manager said would struggle thiis season, is not what I would call a promising performance! We showed we were not quite as bad as them, that is all!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
It was my first game of the season on Saturday and I was struck by the amount of football we played opposed the hoofin we did last season . I thought the midfield of Dicker and Crofts looked good - and far more got played through them. They were also tenacious when we lost it.

The back four all had quality games, especially Virgs and El Abd while Dickinson looks like a quality signing. I actually thought Forster had a poor game and his first touch really let him down a few times but he has that great knack of being in the right place at the right time when it comes to goals.

All-in-all I think we are a far better team than last season although it was hard to judge against such negative opponents and one of the worst ref perfornances I have ever seen.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
My first game too and I was bored stiff the first half. Certainly there was football across the back four - but then it was hoofed either down the middle or down the line. Wycombe had come to spoil and we played into their hands. Only once was a ball dinked through the back line for us to run onto - Davies I think - and that was good. Second half finally came alive in the 70th minute and yes of course we deserved the win but we are a long way short of a good footballing team. But they are my team and I shall wait and hope and believe, as I have for 30 plus years....

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I love Withdean. In the first half the crowd got on the back Adam El Abd, a right footed centre half playing at left back. He laid it off to Tunnicliffe and kept possession, but the baying masses seemed to want him to lump it or go on some kind of mazy run - you know, the kind of mazy run that right footed centre halves playing at left back are known for.

A pass later the ball came to Adam Virgo who hit it forty yards onto the head of Michael Duberry, who duly cleared it (again). No booing for Adam though. Well done that man!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here