Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very OT - Selling a watch

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I have several quality timepieces and believe me there is a difference between a timepiece and a fashionable watch. It would be worth you finding out who makes the imprtant bit inside as it may help you to fetch a better price. I suspect the insides are made by someone like sekonda or tag and then branded with the fashion label. i would not however expect it to be tat considering where it came from.

Yes, I see all the watches they sell are quality makes like DKNY, Armani and Burberry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, I see all the watches they sell are quality makes like DKNY, Armani and Burberry.

I assume that this post was meant to be sarcastic...

Its a weird area, fashion brands. Armani for example - expensive and decent Swiss Watches, whereas other similar brands are very much not.

Take Calvin Klein as a particularly confusing case in point. In the past 'cK' branded watches have been given away with £40 bottles of aftershave. The current cK watches are made by the biggest Swiss watchmaker (the same stable as Omega, Rado, Tissot, Longines, Glashute, Breguet...) and retail at £1000+. Confusing.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I assume that this post was meant to be sarcastic...

Its a weird area, fashion brands. Armani for example - expensive and decent Swiss Watches, whereas other similar brands are very much not.

Take Calvin Klein as a particularly confusing case in point. In the past 'cK' branded watches have been given away with £40 bottles of aftershave. The current cK watches are made by the biggest Swiss watchmaker (the same stable as Omega, Rado, Tissot, Longines, Glashute, Breguet...) and retail at £1000+. Confusing.

Yes....just wish I could afford a real high quality classic watch, I just guess that the fashion models are not for me, oh well.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I went to buy a watch I said, "I would like to buy a watch please" the man said "analogue" I said "No, just a watch please"
Boom Boom tish!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
As I've explained above, Gc is made by Timex, for Guess? clothing.

It is a quality Swiss-made Watch, just not a traditional brand.

It depends what you mean by 'quality' - as the value is enhanced by the 32 diamonds and it is undoubtedly a quartz movement I would respectfully suggest that it is NOT of particularly decent quality as well as its MAJOR problem - that is being f***ing ugly to look at!!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Yes....just wish I could afford a real high quality classic watch, I just guess that the fashion models are not for me, oh well.

I have 3 watches that I would say are quality timepieces and not fashion watches. One was passed down to me and I bought the others with this in mind. I am a sucker for a nice watch but look at it as something to pass down to my children, they are collectable and looked after will remain so. The down side is that keeping them in tip top condition requires regular serviceing which over the years will probably overtake the cost of the watch. But who know's.

With watches like this I do not think you get what you pay for, as a reasonably priced watch will last for years and will be just as accurate etc. The other downside is that I get bored with watches after a time but can't afford to replace them for something more fashionable.

My advice is that unless you are a mug like me stick to something functional and fashionable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It depends what you mean by 'quality' - as the value is enhanced by the 32 diamonds and it is undoubtedly a quartz movement I would respectfully suggest that it is NOT of particularly decent quality as well as its MAJOR problem - that is being f***ing ugly to look at!!

'Quality' as in 'made by a repected Swiss watchmaker'.

Way too much snobbery in watches. Nothing at all wrong with a quartz movement. I have a few Omega watches. Three of them have automatic movements, which you would presumably value more highly than a quartz. All keep absolutely shit time. Which is fine - you accept that when you choose an automatic, and wear the watch for its looks and its heritage - but I can see why others would not.

Last edited:

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

Way too much snobbery in watches. Nothing at all wrong with a quartz movement at all. I have a few Omega watches. Three of them have automatic movements, which you would presumably value more highly than a quartz. All keep absolutely shit time. Which is fine - you accept that when you choose an automaitc, and wear the watch for its looks and its heritage - but I can see why others would not.

This is my point, 2 of my watches are automatic and I could of had a quartz version. I chose the auto as it had a little more bling (big mistake). The bling has cost me a fortune in annual serviceing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is my point, 2 of my watches are automatic and I could of had a quartz version. I chose the auto as it had a little more bling (big mistake). The bling has cost me a fortune in annual serviceing.

Ah. The trick here is to work for a subsiduary of said major Swiss watchmaker. That way you build up a nice collection of Omega watches at cost or less, and have access to free servicing :whistle:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Way too much snobbery in watches. Nothing at all wrong with a quartz movement. I have a few Omega watches. Three of them have automatic movements, which you would presumably value more highly than a quartz. All keep absolutely shit time. Which is fine - you accept that when you choose an automatic, and wear the watch for its looks and its heritage - but I can see why others would not.

COSC timepieces keep decent time and, if you're wearing an Automatic in rotation with a few other pieces you'll need to set it most times you wear it anyway. And is a few seconds a day really an issue to anybody in the real world?

There is certainly snobbery in the watch world and you're right automatics and manual winds do tend to be valued more highly than quartz, and rightly so - in our age of modern electronic gadgetry the movement in a mechanical watch is an amazing, amazing thing. There's a lot to be said for the pick-up-and-go-ability of a Quartz though and not all Quartz watches are created equally - the modern Superquartz Breitlings are a class above most others for example.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have 3 watches that I would say are quality timepieces and not fashion watches. One was passed down to me and I bought the others with this in mind. I am a sucker for a nice watch but look at it as something to pass down to my children, they are collectable and looked after will remain so. The down side is that keeping them in tip top condition requires regular serviceing which over the years will probably overtake the cost of the watch. But who know's.

With watches like this I do not think you get what you pay for, as a reasonably priced watch will last for years and will be just as accurate etc. The other downside is that I get bored with watches after a time but can't afford to replace them for something more fashionable.

With the way the major Swiss houses have been bumping up prices over the past few years, largely driven by demand from the Far East, if you bought wisely you might be in good shape. For example most Rolex stainless steel sports pieces will be worth more 2nd hand now than they were bought for new.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And is a few seconds a day really an issue to anybody in the real world?

There is certainly snobbery in the watch world and you're right automatics and manual winds do tend to be valued more highly than quartz, and rightly so - in our age of modern electronic gadgetry the movement in a mechanical watch is an amazing, amazing thing. .

Indeed. I wasn't complaining about the timekeeping - as you say - its really no big deal. Its all about the intricate ARTISTRY. The company are justifiably very proud of their turbillion and other movements. Most of the big advances in watchmaking were driven by companies within our group. I have a sales and marketing conference to attend in Loch Lomond in three weeks time, when I'll be hearing ALL about it, for the 16th time...

, largely driven by demand from the Far East, .

Not wrong there either. Omega can barely keep up with demand, for the Chinese market.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th

Don't actually disagree with any of that - especially as my Cartier Santos (currently retailing at around £1,800-) has a quartz movement!! :facepalm:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Just purchased an Omega Planet Ocean co-axial chronometer model 2210.50.00 and I am pleased as punch with it. Stunning watch.

Your right about the middle eastern Market though, I got mine from the prestige boutique in Qatar and they are literally flying off the shelves over there.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Whats wrong with one of these bad boys?

5006022167f.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just purchased an Omega Planet Ocean co-axial chronometer model 2210.50.00 and I am pleased as punch with it. Stunning watch.

Your right about the middle eastern Market though, I got mine from the prestige boutique in Qatar and they are literally flying off the shelves over there.

Lovely watch. I'm wearing a Speedmaster Chrono today, but have a couple of different Seamasters. For me it is THE watch.

yhst-37010654304929_2190_621159280

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here