Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Very Flattering Piece in the Telegraph today about our Mr Potter

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Strikes me that GP is very much his own man and has his career mapped out in his head. If he has a six year project with a required/desired outcome I think he will see it through. Where he goes then will depend upon where Albion are in the PL pecking order and it’s associated European potential, and where that fits in with his ambition. Who knows? - he might have plans to work overseas. I always think that International management should be something taken on later in a coach’s career when they have a much rounded understanding of international tactics and world football in general.
The ride he is taking us on is the best we’ve had. Let’s enjoy it while we have him and wish him well if and when he goes.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Also known as "too good for Manchester United".

GP was interviewed in Swedish media last week and when asked about interest from bigger clubs he just said "I've completed two years of a six year project".

There will be talk anytime a big club sack their manager or in this case even before (personally I think Ole will manage United for the rest of the season) but that really doesnt mean it will happen.

Now, people are going to say "in the end they are all the same, looking for fat pay and glory", but if you look closer you should realise that GP is not your average manager and not your average individual.

I really think 3,5 more years at Brighton is the most likely outcome.

You say that but didn’t take a lot to prize him away from Swansea after a year. If he goes I would be gutted. But I understand. You never know if you will get that chance again. When the stocks high sometimes you need to back yourself. Look at someone like Howe who was a media darling been out of work since he left Bournemouth.

Jul 20, 2003
I thought he should have been sacked when we only won a couple of home games in 12 months .. or whatever it was ...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You say that but didn’t take a lot to prize him away from Swansea after a year. If he goes I would be gutted. But I understand. You never know if you will get that chance again. When the stocks high sometimes you need to back yourself. Look at someone like Howe who was a media darling been out of work since he left Bournemouth.

As he said about Swansea: if he knew what state the club was in, he would never have accepted the job. The strains between on one side GP and CEO Jenkins and on the other side the owners was very apparent from very early on in Swansea. Its a different story in Brighton.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I was wondering about this very subject this morning as I walked the dog. Logic would say that GP certainly has the potential to build a dynasty at a struggling big club.

Two questions

1) Would he be given time? He was being slagged off and ready for the sack from about 1/3rd of NSCers of L’il Ole Brighton late last year and we are generally pretty patient in comparison to the fans of big clubs

2) Would your Ronaldos and other superstars accept being dropped and told to reign in the individual showboating and be part of a team. He has no decent history as a player or manager, yet.

Put the two together and it would be a massive gamble, do big clubs take gambles? I don’t think they do :shrug:

Or should I say, I bloody hope they don’t!!

Can’t see Ronny getting involved in the Xmas panto

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pretty much on the button :clap2:

You wouldn't have posted that, or anything remotely like it, if the third goal had been allowed to stand as a direct result of needless dicking around at the back. If it had, the NSC echo chamber would 'of' imploded [emoji38]

Fair play to the bloke for riding his luck and gaining a superb point tho. It was what it was [emoji106]

I am astonished that you can't appreciate an excellent coach when the evidence is right in front of you. It's not all about the results (as last season demonstrated), we clearly belonged nowhere near a relegation fight and this season is proving that. Why do you call it "needless dicking around at the back"? It was nothing of the sort, it was an attempt to retain possession in the face of a world class pressing opponent. It went wrong, but how many times in three years has that happened? Twice? Thrice? Yet on the other hand, we end up controlling games we have no business controlling because this is the way our team is coached.
And how many times has he made the right changes after half time? Loads I'd say.
And perhaps the biggest thing about play under Potter is the fact that in a game we could have been three down in - at Anfield - the philosophy didn't change, but the personnel did, and in the last 12 or 13 minutes it looked to me that one team looked far FAR more likely to win than the other, and it wasn't title chasing Liverpool.
We've spent £75m on that squad, about the same as the Bournemouth squad that kicked off in the Championship last night.

I do wonder what you'll have to say about "the gormless Benny" if we somehow fluke convincing wins in our next three games and find ourselves in the top 6 or maybe top 4 as a consequence.

I know you're entitled to an opinion but this one is just weird.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon, but I don’t share the complete confidence in us having a replacement. Of course we’ll have a shortlist, but if you need evidence that, despite good planning, it isn’t always easy to land what you want, you only have to look at our efforts to sign a striker…

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Also known as "too good for Manchester United".

GP was interviewed in Swedish media last week and when asked about interest from bigger clubs he just said "I've completed two years of a six year project".

There will be talk anytime a big club sack their manager or in this case even before (personally I think Ole will manage United for the rest of the season) but that really doesnt mean it will happen.

Now, people are going to say "in the end they are all the same, looking for fat pay and glory", but if you look closer you should realise that GP is not your average manager and not your average individual.

I really think 3,5 more years at Brighton is the most likely outcome.
Yes, I think and hope he’ll stay. He’s obviously ambitious, but the attraction of moving to a bigger club has to be balanced against greater job security ( lower expectations) with us, a long and well remunerated contract and a young family settled in the local community.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am astonished that you can't appreciate an excellent coach when the evidence is right in front of you. It's not all about the results (as last season demonstrated), we clearly belonged nowhere near a relegation fight and this season is proving that. Why do you call it "needless dicking around at the back"? It was nothing of the sort, it was an attempt to retain possession in the face of a world class pressing opponent. It went wrong, but how many times in three years has that happened? Twice? Thrice? Yet on the other hand, we end up controlling games we have no business controlling because this is the way our team is coached.
And how many times has he made the right changes after half time? Loads I'd say.
And perhaps the biggest thing about play under Potter is the fact that in a game we could have been three down in - at Anfield - the philosophy didn't change, but the personnel did, and in the last 12 or 13 minutes it looked to me that one team looked far FAR more likely to win than the other, and it wasn't title chasing Liverpool.
We've spent £75m on that squad, about the same as the Bournemouth squad that kicked off in the Championship last night.

I do wonder what you'll have to say about "the gormless Benny" if we somehow fluke convincing wins in our next three games and find ourselves in the top 6 or maybe top 4 as a consequence.

I know you're entitled to an opinion but this one is just weird.

I’m not sure however logical your arguments are you’re going to remotely impact a change of mind.

At least most of the ‘outers’ have acknowledged they got it wrong, or fall back on the ‘something’s changed’ to justify where they stood. To still have the blinkers on ploughing a lone furrow of us having a poor clueless manager - well, that’s what some would call a special kind of special.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Telegraph is a quality read on most things, sport at its best. Even though I think it has a political blind spot.

That may well have been true in the past but these days it's a shadow of its former self. Plummeting figures suggest their traditional readership aren't fans of misinformation on Covid and climate change, paid for propaganda for the Chinese and Russian governments, advertisers influencing content, slavish support of Boris, and experienced journalists being replaced by search engine optimisers.

No wonder the Barclays can't flog it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Two things occur to me here:

1. Man United have only ever had two managers win them the league. Outside of them they are a huge unerachieving basket case.

2. Mr Potter hasn't actually achieved anything with us yet.

He has got us playing good football and has racked up a number of impressive results. Last year was all about the potential we could see in our playing style, XG and managerial ability. Ultimately though we still ended up just abut where we have been. This year has started really well but we still have a misadventures streak in our arsenal, gifting goals and having mistakes punished. As much as it was wise not to get too frustrated last season we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves now.

in short, the big clubs will obviously be monitoring what is going on here but when compared to the other managers on their shortlists our Graham will still be seen as a gamble, for a while at least. Man U will not have enough patience for someone like Potter. Newcastle, Arsenal and Spurs would be wise to pursue him and give him time for their projects. However, Newcastle will want to make more of a statement to the football world (that statement being 'we have loads of money' rather than 'we know what we are doing'). Spurs will need a bigger name to appease their fans and fill their stadium (even though Potter would be perfect for what they are trying to do (on a budget) . . . See also Arsenal - although they now seem to be happy)

I don't think he'll be going anywhere for a while. Plenty of time to really achieve something.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Two things occur to me here:

1. Man United have only ever had two managers win them the league. Outside of them they are a huge unerachieving basket case.

They were managed over a 51 year period by just 2 managers who won 18 league titles, both of whom won them with a large number of local lads. That's over 40% of their existence managed by just 2 men. In the last 20 years Watford have had more managers than ManUtd have had since 1902!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I don't claim any kind of rights at all, just the right to say say my piece. Same as anybody else really :shrug:

Yep, same as everybody else. Including Swansman, whether you love or loath him. He's got just as much right (until Bozza says otherwise) to share his opinions here as you do. As long as both of you avoid making your arguments personal, I'll happily continue reading both of your opinions. And continue agreeing or disagreeing with them, on a case-by-case basis (I've disagreed, and agreed, with points made by both of you at various points of time).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yep, same as everybody else. Including Swansman, whether you love or loath him. He's got just as much right (until Bozza says otherwise) to share his opinions here as you do. As long as both of you avoid making your arguments personal, I'll happily continue reading both of your opinions. And continue agreeing or disagreeing with them, on a case-by-case basis (I've disagreed, and agreed, with points made by both of you at various points of time).

Fair enough, would make for a pretty dull board if all of us agreed all of the time :thumbsup:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Fair enough, would make for a pretty dull board if all of us agreed all of the time :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

With regards Potter, my personal take is that he's the best manager I've seen at Brighton. But for context, that only covers Poyet onwards. It hasn't shown in the results yet (although it could well do so this year), but IMO he's steadily unlocking potential for us to be a strong top-10 side and if he stays with us long term, we'll be very secure in the Prem for a while to come (and in a better position to attract the right replacement when he does go). I can see why other clubs would be knocking on his door when they have openings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here