Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Venice

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Been many times, my favourite city in the world, and I've been to a few.

When you arrive, go to the tourist counter at the airport (presuming you're arriving at Marco Polo) and get a multi day travelcard, I believe they're called 'hellovenezia' card, this will cost 33 Euros for 72 hours or 50 euros for a week.

With this card, you can travel on all the actv vaporetto services around the Islands Murano, Burano, Torcello ect as well as up and down the Grand Canal. It is also valid for the number 5 bus that goes from the airport to Piazzale Roma where you pick up a vaporetto.

re accomodation. I always stay on the Lido, 10 minutes from St Marks Square, much quieter and better value.

Do visit the fish and vegetable market by the Rialto Bridge.

Enjoy yourself, it's all very romantic

This. The Lido is a great place to stay. Better restaurants and great value. If you want to eat in the centre, the lunch prices and much cheaper than the dinner prices for the same thing. Loved Murano. Doge's palace is a good visit as well.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Venice - Full of history and Italians and falling down. I took the wife there a couple of years ago and got TOTALLY pissed off by the residents who were only happy when they were taking money from you as many times as possible. Pay to go into a building and then pay to go into any interesting part of that building! The art work COULD be outstanding but the Italians are too greedy to use the vast amounts of money on anything but themselves so most of the artwork is black and featureless.

If you are thinking about bringing home presents wait until you get back to the airport. Even the airport prices are cheap in comparison to greedy Venician prices.

I told my wife that I would go back when they have finished building it.

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
Venice is wonderful, I have been several times. Spent last New Years Eve there and although it was cold, it was amazing. March should be a good time to go.

Expect crowds anytime of year!

Depending who you are flying with will depend where you land. Ryan Air fly to Trevisio and BA and Easy Jet fly to Marco Polo.

If you are landing at Marco Polo you literally walk out of the station to the water bus/taxi area. Taxis are great but expect to pay £50+ for a ticket. Water buses are cheaper but more crowded.

If you land at Trevisio Ryanair do a bus for about £18 return between the airport and the train station. Hop off the bus and you will see the water buses in front of you.

Do yourself a favour and book a hotel somewhere near the Grand Canal as it will be a mission taking your luggage around the place when you don’t really know where you are going (although a water taxi would solve that problem)

Expect to get lost…..all signs will either lead you to St Marks Square, the Rialto Bridge or the train station, after that you are pretty much on your own! But IMHO getting lost in Venice is great and you cant stroll too far until you find yourself back and the grand canal somewhere!

The price of coffee etc changed by the hour in my experience, there is a great café next to the Rialto Bridge that is amazing. Try not to eat in any restaurants that look too touristy as you wont experience the true Italian cooking. There is a McDonalds and Burger King, but I wont tell you where they are as its just not right lol

Don’t try and do everything in one visit, you will love it so much you will want an excuse to go back again!!

Enjoy!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Many thanks good people of NSC, booked the trip last night staying at the Ruzzini Palace in campo Santa Maria Formosa. Looking forward to it.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I'm going there in September as part of my honeymoon (Sicily for the remainder) I've been once before while 'training it' round Italy, amazing place. I absolutely loved it. Enjoy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
venice

Agree with all the positive stuff. Only been there once brierfly but want to go back. When we were there we made a conscious decision to sit in one of the cafes in St Mark's Square for a coffee, having checked the prices and so knowing how much it would cost.

Beautiful day - in August admittedly - in the shade, classy jazz trio playing quite close to us and sitting immediately opposite the Doge's Palace, one of the most iconic buildings in the world. Stunning - and the coffee was nice, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here