Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vaughan stands down as England captain!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
it does worry you when you realise Pietersen is currently our best batsmen with Cook 2nd and BROAD of all people 3rd! his runs of late have been quality but he should not be 3rd by a long way!

This series Vaughan had an average of EIGHT, the only worse average in the whole team was Monty - now that was a worry if Vaughan had to lead people and tell them what to do, when he had that average to back him up.

I still think he may improve without the pressure of captaincy, but it could open the way for Prior to come in as a batsmen instead of keeper/batsmen

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Please dont let it be Strauss, otherwise we will be going through it all again at the end of the next series.
Strauss is hanging on in there by the skin of his teeth as a batsman. He has cut down on all his shots and is a shadow of the man he was a few years ago.
What chance the tubby boy from Kent ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
This series Vaughan had an average of EIGHT, the only worse average in the whole team was Monty - now that was a worry if Vaughan had to lead people and tell them what to do, when he had that average to back him up.

I still think he may improve without the pressure of captaincy, but it could open the way for Prior to come in as a batsmen instead of keeper/batsmen

thats the thing, his recent averages and only two scores of over 50 in the last 17innings suggest he's blatantly droppable from the side. Chuck him back in County and see what he does is what I would do.

Stumpy Tim

I lived with Mike's cousin for 5 years, and have met him a few times. I remember talking to him about Chris Adams just before he was made captain - and he said his average at international cricket just wasn't good enough. Maybe now he's thinking the same thing about himself. If so, resigning is an honourable thing to do.

However, I will say that though he's undoubtedly a good captain he has also been extremely lucky to captain under Duncan Fletcher - who I believe is one of the best coaches around. I knew we would regret the day he left us.

There are more replacements than we think. I would go with Strauss personally. Maybe now Solanki or Shah might get a chance finally

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
"I have had some good balls and a little bit of bad luck," he said.

Why wont he just admit he is SHIT:censored:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
taking a break aswell so wont play at the Oval

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Seriously? Now that is a shock! He hasn't even been doing the job very long.

Clearing the way for one captain for both forms I guess? That would seem to rule out Strauss.

Yeah, just been announced, I said before in this thread theat Pietersen would get both jobs, I only say that as he, apart from Freddie is the only guaranteed starter in both forms of the game. Ive been mocked, but I still think it will happen, though maybe not the best decision.

Captain to be announced tomorrow

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, just been announced, I said before in this thread theat Pietersen would get both jobs, I only say that as he, apart from Freddie is the only guaranteed starter in both forms of the game. Ive been mocked, but I still think it will happen, though maybe not the best decision

Everything seems to suggest that will be the case. Would be a real shame though, since his batting will undoubtedly suffer, and do we really want to compromise the run scoring ability of our best batsman? Hopefully he would be more of a Ponting/Smith than a Vaughan in that respect.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The team needs a good clear out. Bring some youngsters in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here