Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Varsity match...next tuesday

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...anyone going?

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: .....................:sick: :sick: :sick: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

and then

:drunk: :drunk:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I went a few yrs back. Great game and great day.

Went with the Old Ship Hotel. Curry in twickenham car park, then steak and kidney pie in the evening with some songs and jokes.

Great fun. Sadly changed hands now :down:

Thinking about going this yr

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
withdeanwombat said:
Who's playing what.....against whom?

Rugby

Oxford against Cambridge

Scumbag College Cambridge...rah rah rah

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I went for several years as my company used to take clients; I can't say that I enjoyed the experience though.

Much as I like rugby, the idea of spending an afternoon in a town whose inhabitants make the burghers of Lewes look like free-thinking intellectuals and surrounded by thousands of braying, public-school in-breds lost its appeal years ago.

And when you consider that it takes about half an hour to get a drink in any of the Twickenham watering holes, there's little prospect of getting really pissed to dull the pain...not unless you start the drinking at 11.00.

Glad I don't have to do it any more.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've just bought my mum and stepdad a couple of tickets, they'll like it. I will not be accompanying them - not really my bag.

My inside hospitality source tells me they're expecting about 35,000 this time but a load of corporates, it being a weekday n all.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Gwylan said:

And when you consider that it takes about half an hour to get a drink in any of the Twickenham watering holes, there's little prospect of getting really pissed to dull the pain...not unless you start the drinking at 11.00.

The smart rugby-goer disembarks at Richmond, in order to sup a leisurely ale, venturing to Twickenham no earlier than 30 minutes before kick off.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Grendel said:
The smart rugby-goer disembarks at Richmond, in order to sup a leisurely ale, venturing to Twickenham no earlier than 30 minutes before kick off.

Yeah, that's what I do when I go for internationals but part of the corporate deal was to meet in a Twickenham pub. The reason being that the traffic would make it difficult to get a taxi between Richmond and Twickenham on match day...and it's obviously impossible for such senior people to walk. Wankers.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
I would rather go for the army v navy game. Much more fun and its almost guaranteed to have a punch up every 5 minutes and a fair few streakers too! :lolol: And those guys know how to drink! :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I'm going - doing the corporate thing, but my guests have been carefull selected on the basis of drinking credentials... Last time I went out with them on a jolly, I was getting panicky phonecalls the next day from the wife of one because he hadnt come home... turns out, after spanking all his credit card at stringfellows, he lost his mobile in a fight over a cab. Got home so late he slept in the front garden so as not to wake his missus... stayed there until she took the kids to school, ducked inside, got changed and ran off to work....

Classy guy!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Coopers Right Arm said:
My mate thinks that Brighton Poly have a good chance in this years boat race.

Anyone else agree?

It would certainly be something if they got through to the final. I'm rather hoping Preston Poly will overcome the odds and get through this year.

Exactly, travelling via the Red Cow, Old Ship, Star and the Orange Tree in Richmond. Moving on to the Prince Albert and the 'Blucher' on Twickenham Green then either off to the ground or up past Twickenham station to the Albany and the Anchor if you're thirsty. Maybe a couple of pints of Guinness in the ground, followed by the same itinerary on the way back and then off for an Indian if you haven't died somewhere en-route between Twickenham and Richmond. Ladies permitted, fines for anyone using a taxi, bus journeys permitted but without looking up timetables or routes.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I used to go back in the 80s when there was the annual school trip there for all the boys who had been selected for the school rugby.

It has to be the Dark Blues of Oxford - my alma mater.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
it was a good game to be fair - technically shite but close all the way.

not one posh totty streaker though - very dissapointing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No one from Oxbridge came to watch me play for my University, so f*** em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here