Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Claiming 'human error' simply isn't good enough, not when VAR has time to review replays over and over.

People need to be held to account for things like this. I'm not suggesting in any way we have the goal reinstated but this is clearly unsatisfactory performance that needs addressing

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I'm not convinced it is onside. While it looks like the second defender is ahead of the blue line, I'm not sure he is also ahead of the red line. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another image with the line drawn to the other player showing there's a pixel differnece between the red and blue lines
Where were you at 3pm this afternoon ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Difficult to think of another line of work were such incompetence wouldn't cost you your job, that is of course unless you're a member of His Majesty's Government.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Difficult to think of another line of work were such incompetence wouldn't cost you your job, that is of course unless you're a member of His Majesty's Government.
I’m sure Sanchez will keep his job as well

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Clear offside. That is actually what VAR is meant to correct.

Sort of defies the 'big six bias' narrative though!
The Brentford goal was offside twice!

Supposedly got it wrong in the Chelsea game too, not intervening on an obvious handball (tee-hee).

The whole point in VAR was to remove human error. What's the point if it's just a different source of error?

For us or against us, it really needs benefit of the doubt to the attacker. The looking for a reason to call offside is nonsense. An elbow offside gives you no advantage. Whatever happened to the clear daylight idea?

Nothing wrong with VAR, except the clowns using it. I'd ditch it until they can sort their collective shit out.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It might be 50 frames a second but I saw some examples a few years back where you couldn’t work out the exact frame when ball contact was made. If VAR is used in this scenario then it is guesswork
i think it’s been improved since then. Wasn’t 50 fps initially.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
For us or against us, it really needs benefit of the doubt to the attacker. The looking for a reason to call offside is nonsense. An elbow offside gives you no advantage. Whatever happened to the clear daylight idea?

Nothing wrong with VAR, except the clowns using it. I'd ditch it until they can sort their collective shit out.
That Leicester goal that was ruled out didn't look particularly offside either.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Right from the start the PGMOL ballsed it up by the use of 'Clear and obvious' onstead of clear and obvious error. They've (more or less) got it right with penalty decisions - ooh, that could have been a pen.....I might have given it.............. but the on-line ref decided it wasn't. Marginally, possibly an error - but clear and obvious? No. Ref's decision stands.
So with off-side - he may or may not be an inch (about 2.4 cms. for younger readers) off-side. Yes, that might be clear and obvious in slow-,mo, or on a freeze-frame, but was it a clear and obvious error buy the on-field team? No, it wasn't - and who cares about a toe-nail either way anyway? That's not what the off-side rule was invented for anyway; it was to cut out goal-hanging - and it has! Job done - advanced finger-nail not relevant.
Clear and obvious doesn’t apply to offsides.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The whole point of VAR is to eliminate 'human error'. Absolutely pathetic.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't buy the calibration. The cameras change each match, and they all have mega zooms. Impossible to know who's on what in an instant.
Best take it up with Hawkeye. They can’t be that bad considering the number of sports that use their technology.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Anything to benefit the established big 6/7.
It's becoming every ****ing match.
Maybe we should just say we'll start a goal behind every game if it can be adjudicated fairly.
Anything to keep us out of Europe.
****ing scummy cheating *****.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Anything to benefit the established big 6/7.
It's becoming every ****ing match.
Maybe we should just say we'll start a goal behind every game if it can be adjudicated fairly.
Anything to keep us out of Europe.
****ing scummy cheating *****.
Doesn’t really tally with the two offsides that should have gone against Brentford for their equaliser at Arse, or the non-penalty for Chelsea. Apart from that though..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here