Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
So here's an idea. This morning there are 2 instances of admission that VAR officials had somehow messed up 2 decisions that were so obvious it beggars belief. Someone has obviously reviewed those decisions in order to make those admissions. Why aren't they looking after VAR during a match???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And thats the crux of it. Yes we've all moaned and

Brooks should be the one making the apology along with the PGMOL, with an explanation of what he "thought" he saw, and the process by which he arrived at that decision. Only then can we fully piece it together and have some kind of reassurance that they will LEARN from it. As it is, we just get a mealy-mouthed apology and everyone is supposed to crack on. Pathetic.
personally I’d rather we don’t give any officials airtime or ‘personalities’ they shouldn’t really be in the limelight at all. Let the club sort it with Howard Webb and co.

Same way if you make a mistake at work you presumably aren’t made to livestream sone video apology or publicly called out on it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it's just fans' disappointment with the result, no? Mac is usually very reliable with his chances, that's all.
True I just find it odd that blame is deflected from Sanchez to Mac :shrug:

Keepers make mistakes that cost games, seldom do outfield players get the blame at other clubs when it happens though.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
True I just find it odd that blame is deflected from Sanchez to Mac :shrug:

Keepers make mistakes, seldom do outfield players get the blame at other clubs
Yeah...I think it may just be the (highly disputable...) " Sanchez made one mistake, but AliMac missed 5 chances" thingy. Personally, I'm still in dreamland that all of our squad is of such high quality - but we're not going to be perfect nor win every game 👍. We take the point and move on.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As expected, lots of Arsenal fans calling for Lee Mason to be sacked.

Problem is they speak to the club's but how about speaking to us?

Be interesting to see who we start to get officiating our games, if they will actually get some of the best to do it.

Sometimes I wish our club was a little more outspoken themselves. if I was CEO I wouldn't have accepted any apology. You apologise for mistakes not f***ing incompetence

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Problem is they speak to the club's but how about speaking to us?

Be interesting to see who we start to get officiating our games, if they will actually get some of the best to do it.

Sometimes I wish our club was a little more outspoken themselves. if I was CEO I wouldn't have accepted any apology. You apologise for mistakes not f***ing incompetence
All I got when I searched swivelled eyed loon was David Cameron, Farij, BJ and this fruitcake
1676213356152.gif

you have to wade through a lot to find Marty

Attachments

• 2782C414-3185-4424-8371-5B0BB1A30A3C.jpeg
    2782C414-3185-4424-8371-5B0BB1A30A3C.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 47

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Here's an idea, let's just drop VAR and go back to how it use to be.
As we witnessed yesterday both players and officials make mistakes it's part of the game.
VAR is looking far to deep into the rules and finding the smallest if margins.
I've often been a fan of hockey, with a referee or umpire in each half but able to make decisions across the pitch.
Drop VAR, it's simply not working and ruining everyone's entertainment.

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
As if it doesn't already take long enough for VAR to come up with a decision, you want an appeals process built in as well ? My god, the game would never bloody end. And you can guarantee whichever team concedes a goal, especially a late one, would be straight onto the "appeals" button. Then you've got to decide who rules on the appeal. Do you go and get Howard Webb on the blower ?

Terrible idea which would just open up ANOTHER pandora's box of shite on top of what we're already stuck with. Always knew VAR would end up causing far more problems, aggravation and controversy that it solves, and so it has come to pass.
Nope, not during the match as that would be a daft idea. But clubs are allowed to appeal an unfair dismissal so why not a clear and obvious mistake by VAR?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope, not during the match as that would be a daft idea. But clubs are allowed to appeal an unfair dismissal so why not a clear and obvious mistake by VAR?
To what end ? To retrospectively alter the result - you'd advocate that ?

That would certainly lead to a few asterisks on the League table. Thats an even dafter idea.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
An appeal against a red card, or a retrospectively given red card doesn't change the outcome of a game though. The result still stands.

You cannot go down the road of appealing results based on errors by officials. If we appealed to get the Pervis goal given, Palace could easily counter with an argument that their tactics change having conceded in the first half. The only plausible outcome would be to replay the game from that moment, which is just never going to work.

The result at full time has to stand no matter who is happy/unhappy with the result. The idea of football or any sport being played out in a court room style appeals process would kill the game. The only changes should be for blatant rule breaking, FFP, corruption, ineligible players. You can't get a result overturned as the ref made a decision in error.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
No just incompetent

It’s completely ruined my enjoyment of football
I no longer believe it's incompetence. There is no way Brooks couldn't see the other defender and there's no way Mason could forget to put the lines on in the Arsenal match. It has to be deliberate, corrupt decision-making, possibly under instruction from Asian betting syndicates.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here