Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

van Nistelrooy

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Pavilionaire said:
Van Nistelrooij did foul Vieira and was booked, Vieira rightly collected a second yellow for lashing out and RVN was fouled by Keown for the penalty. 3 out of 3 for the referee, well done

It was Forlan involved in the penalty challenge, so Arsenal can't even accuse Ruud of that one. The guy did nothing wrong, and as you say, 3/3 for the ref.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
:shootself

Oops, got my long-haired johnny foreigners mixed up. Point is Keown has no reason to complain and looked like a complete twat, although Keown probably blames RVN for the Forlan incident as well...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Keown's face said it all when the penalty was given. Not a single reaction, just accepted it. It was a penalty, no doubt about it.

To be honest, the sending off can surely be forgotten about. As many people have said, neither Vieira or Van Nistelrooy were in the right, so they both got booked, Vieira simply happened to have already had one, so had to walk. Would there be this much fuss if it was his first yellow? I doubt it.

It's Keown, Parlour & Lauren that need to be punished for the actions at the end of the game. Give Vieira the standard 1 match ban for 2 yellows, and let him get on with it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, but it's all the rubbish afterwards, the 1 hour post-match Sky inquest, Wenger moaning he was hard done by, Ferguson moaning about Arsenal's poor discipline, the back pages of every tabloid and Parry / Brazil bleating on Talksport.

The fact is that aggro has been going on between these clubs for nigh on 15 years and the FA have done nothing.

All Keown has done is perpetuate this situation a year or so before he retires, thus ensuring the Ashley Coles and Laurens of this world continue the spat for another generation.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
RVN is a cheat and deserves what he gets. But what's worse is that young Ronaldo, he makes RVN look like a saint in comparison with the number of dives he takes. I was appalled by the cheating little **** and wished an Arsenal player would deck him.

Still, it was class of RVN to miss that penalty and stop the tense match from really boiling over!:lolol: :clap: :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
perth seagull said:
But what's worse is that young Ronaldo, he makes RVN look like a saint

You're having a laugh aren't you? Presumably that is based mainly on the Charlton game - which featured the most brutal coordinated attempt to kick one player out of the game I've ever seen. He was virtually broken in half about three times. One of the sad by-products of the high-profile diving debate is that violent defenders foul people and then try and create some sort of smokescreen by immediately accusing their victim of diving - while he lies on the floor wondering how his leg is still in one piece.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
true Tooting.

Every time a player goes down he is accused of diving. Leon Knight against Swindon was scythed down twice. Both times accused of diving, for one of them he was booked. If the ref sees it was a foul I'd like them to book the accusing defender for unsporting behaviour.

Brighton Brat

Sep 21, 2003
Haywards Heath
this is my first post.van nistelrooy was a disgrace but the reaction of the aresnal players was even worse.On Sky Sports today Kenny Sansom predicted that aresnal will be docked points and that wenger should have condemed his players behaviour at the final whistle. :nono:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If arsenal are docked points then its a total joke! It was nothing other than a shove, all handbags for christ sake and the only reason we are talking about it is because the tv and papaers have hyped it.

RVN is a total twat and I was delighted he spooned the Pen.

Arsenal went over the top but it wasnt serious, just over excitement.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm sure all those who loathe Man U were delighted to see RVN miss that penalty, I certainly was! It was out of order for him to be "set upon" by Arsenal players after the final whistle, however, it was his foul that caused the retaliation by Vieira and I can understand their anger towards him. I accept Vieira shouldn't have retaliated, but what's the betting RVN, knowing how volatile Vieira can be and how he was already wound up, knew full well what would be likely to happen. Man U don't suffer not winning gladly! After all, to reduce the opposing team to ten men might increase their chances, mightn't it?! Man U were not entirely blameless, either. Although I understand the Arsenal players' anger, as professionals, they should be able to control it. I don't condone their actions, but must confess it made or "entertaining" viewing! Not a good example to set though!

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I'm quite suprised at the reactions of so many people who have condemned Arsenal and their actions. I think it was a natural outcome of what was a hugely tense game, and I'd wonder if they were human if the Arsenal players had walked away without saying anything after RVN's miss. Fair enough, it would be different if it had been the entire gunners team, but it wasn't and never would have been, a few of the gave back loads to someone they were convinced had screwed them over big time.

This is football, not golf, and I want to watch a game were the players are that involved and that hyped and passionate that sometimes those passions do spill over. That's one of the reasons I love the game. I have no beef with Arsenal, which a lot of people seem to, maybe if it had been Southampton players (for example) giving RVN the treatment we wouldn't mind so much... Yes, I enjoyed it all the more becuase it was Man Utd on the sharp end of it, but that was just good luck on my part. if it had occured in any other game - christ - even if it Knight getting loads of grief for missing a sitter or a penalty, I would be pissed off, but I wouldn't start talking about points being docked.

If the FA should do anything they should probably show Keown and his mates a red card for unsportmanlike behaviour. And that's not my judgement - I'm going by their rules.

I find it a shame that we should get so upset about something which, in my eyes, was a total non-event. The players may be professionals, but by the same token, the want to win more than anyone else in the ground. I think without this sort of thing coming to the fore every now and again, the game would be sterile.

Anyway - to cut a long story short; that's soccer for you!

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
The question thst needs to be asked is if the the teams situation were switched and Man Ure had been reduced to 10 men, with Arsenal missing the pen would the Man U players have done the same? ???

I wonder ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here