Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Van Nistelrooy charged

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
FA acts after Old Trafford battle

Manchester United's Ruud Van Nistelrooy has been charged with serious foul play by the Football Association for a tackle on Arsenal's Ashley Cole.

And Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has been asked to explain his comments about Van Nistelrooy and referee Mike Riley.

Van Nistelrooy has been given until Tuesday to "deny or admit" the charge which will be heard on Thursday.

The FA is also investigating an alleged incident in the tunnel following United's fiery 2-0 win at Old Trafford.

According to reports, an Arsenal player is believed to have thrown food at United boss Sir Alex Ferguson in the aftermath of Sunday's game.

With the baggage that goes with this game it is almost becoming an impossible match to referee

United have refused to say anything about the allegations with chief executive David Gill telling BBC Radio Five Live: "I have no comment to make."

But the Daily Telegraph says tomato soup was thrown at Ferguson while the Daily Mirror reported that it was food and pea soup hurled by an unnamed Arsenal player.

Arsenal left the field incensed by the refereeing decision which gave United the lead from the penalty spot after Sol Campbell was adjudged to have brought down Wayne Rooney.

Campbell refused to shake Rooney's hand at the final whistle before the players headed into the tunnel where tempers appear to have boiled over.

The 73rd minute penalty was converted by Van Nistelrooy, who came in for criticism from Wenger for his ugly-looking tackle on left-back Cole.

Former referee Jeff Winter was scathing of the events that have taken place in the wake of the match and believes the match officials have become the unfair victims of the game between these two rivals.

"It's more about winning than fair play now and if you get the decision then it's all part and parcel of the game, but if you don't, the attitude is 'let's complain' and usually the referee is the easy target," he said.

"But that game, with the baggage that goes with it, is almost becoming an impossible match to referee, and I speak from personal experience.

Arsenal are no more sinned against than sinners - Wenger seems to have lost this round of the mind games

"When fair play goes out of sport, I don't think we have sport any more."

The corresponding fixture between the two teams last season ended in controversy when players rounded on Van Nistelrooy after he missed a last-minute penalty in the goalless draw.

Arsenal had four players banned and were handed fines totalling £275,000 by the FA.

Wenger's comments about Riley, who has awarded eight penalties in his last eight matches at Old Trafford, will now see him hauled before the FA.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
good. that was a disgusting tackle by van horselrooy. it was funny when i first saw it on the original angle because i shouted 'for once i dont think arsenal deserved a freekick'..then i saw the changed angle in slow motion and was so annoyed. disgraceful. i dont see why wenger will get into torouble though. all he said was basically van nistlerooy stamped on cole....which is true. am i wrong?

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
At the end of the day , managers need to watch their comments but so many forget. Kevin Keegan last night for instance, and now Wenger.

refereeing is a difficult job to do let alone the "mind games" and crappy news shit reports that go on before a high tempo game such as united vs. arsenal.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That is absolutely ridiculous. You could go to any match in the country every week and see a challenge like Van Nistelrooy's, it wasn't that bad and everyone knows Cole makes the most of those anyway.

Wenger, however, has all but called Riley a cheat and deserves everything he gets.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Tooting Gull said:
That is absolutely ridiculous. You could go to any match in the country every week and see a challenge like Van Nistelrooy's, it wasn't that bad and everyone knows Cole makes the most of those anyway.

Wenger, however, has all but called Riley a cheat and deserves everything he gets.

i dont normally say this but your are talking absolute shit-sorry

you never see that EVERY week. and even if you did does that mean he shouldnt get banned for STAMPING on another players shin with no intent to get the ball?

wenger did not call the ref a cheat. he called horse man a cheat....which is true. now yes pires has cheated in the pass but i have never seen a wenger player diliberately try and injure another player like ruud did. sure vieira used to lash out in his early career but nothing ever like that. disgusting and van nis deserves everything he gets from this.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Tooting Gull said:

I think that I would be a rich man if I was given a pound for every match that you have supported Spurs. I can say this with every confidence and I don't even know you. I have never heard such biased crap.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Safeway said:
Van Nistelrooy's challenge was no worse than Sami Hypia's on a Norwich player recently, or Jamie Redknapp's on Tim Cahill.

I'm not following your logic, Safeway.

Are you saying that, because there have been two f***ing disgraceful pieces of assault in previous matches, another one doesn't matter?

Waterhall Wizard said:
I'm not following your logic, Safeway.

Are you saying that, because there have been two f***ing disgraceful pieces of assault in previous matches, another one doesn't matter?

Not at all. I'm just wondering why one challenge, no worse than the two that preceded it, receives SO much more publicity than the others.

Is it just because people love to have a pop at Man United at every given opportunity?

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think Hyppia and Redknapp should be done as well. The excuse of Redknapp not being that sort of player is crap.

Van Nistelrooy should also get the book thrown at him.

They are all tossers.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Safeway said:
Not at all. I'm just wondering why one challenge, no worse than the two that preceded it, receives SO much more publicity than the others.

Is it just because people love to have a pop at Man United at every given opportunity?

That is more biased crap. The other two received a ton of adverse pulicity, and f***ing right too.

Keith B Wetherill

Oct 6, 2003
Helsinki,Finland
Wenger

:bounce: I watched the game on Sunday and I think Wenger remarks are a digrace ! He's acting like a spoilt BRAT..
Firstly the penalty was the result of what the ref thought he saw, my question to the Arsenal thugs is 'why did an international defender like Campbell stick his foot out anyway,in no way was he trying to get the ball,he had been out manoevered by Rooney,so in reality the penalty may have been unjust but resulted from Campbells own petulance'
Of course on reflection Van Nistelroys tackle on Cole was a bit over the top and rightly there will be an inquiry but to call the referee a cheat shows Wenger up for what he is... Spoilt by his own success.
On Sunday the BEST team won.enough said :p

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Re: Wenger

Keith B Wetherill said:

On Sunday the BEST team won.enough said :p
no arsenal lost :dunce:

personally i dont think redknapp meant that dirty tackle a few weeks back on cahill. he was looking at the ball and i could see what he was trying to do, he over-ran the pace of the ball and whack! whereas horse man just was being a DIRTY BASTARD!

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Safeway said:

I think it's cos there is so many bad losers (Arsenal) ranting on... I think that all three challenges are disgusting and harder rules should be in place to deter people from launching career ending challenges!!! :angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fact is that Van Nistelrooy made a disgusting challenege in a very high profile game which is why our shitty FA is taking such action. It wouldn't have been picked up in hundreds of games played up and down the country in the lower leagues, he's been caught and should face action but the FA need to look after the game as a WHOLE and not just the theatre like game that is played in the Premiership.

It's time the Football Association bucked their ideas up.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
brighton rock said:
10 game ban should do the trick as he never went for the ball and only wanted to hurt the player:nono:

That's a bit rich, Palace Cock.

I can remember some seasons, whereby if that were the normal punishment, Palace wouldn't have been able to field eleven men for most of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here