Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Value for money?

Albion Rob

FFS Morris, you really do make a rod for your own back sometimes.

Yes, the 'price per home win' was pretty high last season, but then again, what about 2001/02 when we won about 17 home games? that came to about £27 per home win, should we have put prices up so that people weren't getting away with seeing all those wins on the cheap?

The point is, you support your team and that's that. If we had a 35,000 seat stadium which we were struggling to fill for mediocre games but could afford to make a loss on the ticket and coach prices because these lot MIGHT come back if we snare them then that would be great.

However, we have a small ground and need every penny we can get to chuck down the Falmer black jole and to spend on players we don't intend playing. The club tries to encourage youngsters as some on here will I'm sure testify by offering good prices to groups but to be honest, we might be best off keeping them away until we ditch Withdean - nothing would have them heading to North West Kent quicker.

Feel free to head on down to Charlton though Rich, I'll bring my bird to all the home games to make up for the revenue the club loses on your non attendance.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Richie Morris said:
You can catch a coach from Eastbourne, Hastings, East Grinstead or Haywards Heath (I believe) to the Valley and back AND get a ticket for their first league game against Bolton for £20.

I would rather remove my own testicles. With a rusty spade

Richie Morris said:
No. The point I was making is that our season ticket prices are RUBBISH value for money because last season we forked out £110 for every home win we saw.

The Charlton comment was a mere aside.

Charlton own their ground and get 20 million quid a year from TV rights.
We do not. We have huge debts to service, the Falmer bollocks and smaller gates. WE LOSE MONEY every week. To break even, the ticket prices should be higher. If you want to watch the Albion then you have to help subsidise them via your high ticket price. That is life as an Albion fan. If you don't like then the answer is in your earlier post.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Might make it a bit easier to swallow if we had a decent manager though.

The club do not want to spend the money to sack McGhee but they don't mind us forking to watch the rubbish he sends out every week.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Richie Morris said:
No. The point I was making is that our season ticket prices are RUBBISH value for money because last season we forked out £110 for every home win we saw.

The Charlton comment was a mere aside.

That is superb logic Richie. So in other words unless we win 100% of our home games we are never going to get value for money?
Genius.

Richie Morris said:

The club do not want to spend the money to sack McGhee but they don't mind us forking to watch the rubbish he sends out every week.

Well lets assume the reason McGhee is still in charge is because we don't want to pay him off. Paying him off would cost, and I'm guessing here but something like 125k. 125,000 divided by 23 home games is 5,435 per game, about the same as our average attendance next season I'd guess. So I would guess that every person at every home league game would need to be charged an extra pound to afford McGhees payoff. Would that make you happier?

Albion Rob

Richie Morris said:

That's a tough one but the bottom line is that the manager, the players and even the board are not the club, we are.

Like in 1993-1997, we decide whether it lives or dies. We've shown before that we won't lay down and die - no matter how shit they are on the pitch we still support them.

I'm not endorsing the manager as I would like it if he went but at the same time I'm not about to bemoan my misfirtune that I'm not going to see Charlton each week for £20.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was not saying it would BETTER to watch Charlton. I was just saying it seems poor value for money to watch the pitiful displays we grew used to last season when for much less you could watch Premiership football week in week out.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I really don't understand: if football and your football club is nothing more but a question of allocating your leisure spending money and if it's so much better "value" to go and see Charlton, erm, why don't you just do that? It's simple isn't it? In fact, isn't a non-league season ticket somewhere probably even cheaper? I don't know because, above anything else, I'm a Brighton fan so I've not looked into it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Of course I will continue to pay to watch the club because I, like most people on here, love the club.

I have my season ticket as per normal.

The point is if the fans are happy to keep shelling out over the odds money like this surely they should expect a little back in return like a decent manager or a team with players playing in their proper positions.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Richie Morris said:
Of course I will continue to pay to watch the club because I, like most people on here, love the club.

The point is if the fans are happy to keep shelling out over the odds money like this surely they should expect a little back in return like a decent manager or a team with players playing in their proper positions.

If you'd said that to start with then we would have all agreed with you.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I'm not going to many games next season as i think that the quality of football is poor, where as you can buy dvds over asda for a fiver!
As im going to florida in october the prospect of me spending £20 on watching the albion or spend £5 on a dvd and save the other £15 to my holiday seems a much better use for my cash.
If the sussex game goes in to a 4th day im going to go to that match rather than rotherham.
It is easier to say that other forms of entertainment is much more value for money or not than going to watch brighton, but if the club are not signing any new players apart from some kiddie from nonleague then some fans aren't going to bother going, the more this happens then the more revenue the club is going to lose!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Richie Morris said:

Richie, I have harped on about Charlton in the last few days too. In the Sainsburys at Hastings they are giving away a paper enticing people to the Charlton Bolton game for £20 including travel. It a big A5 colour mag called Charlton news.

As someone said that is probably a loss leader but they are nicking potential Albion support - they also run buses to the valley from Brighton. They are working hard to fill their ground. Are we?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think they should cut the ticket prices by half, buy a well-known but expensive player and go out of business at the end of the season. That'd be GREAT.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Are season tickets for West Ham good value? I don't really like Charlton.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever your view on whether Brighton's season-ticket price represents value for money (and it clearly doesn't for all reasons other than blind fan loyalty, albeit a very strong one) you have to admire Charlton. Again.

Their new Premiership season-ticket of £99 for an Under-11, depriving themselves of income on a seat they could sell for full price most of the time but safeguarding the future of the club, is typical of their attitude.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wozza said:
What's so great about being a Charlton fan anyway?!

You might get the chance to stand next to Kelvin Mckenzie at the urinal...I bet Richie is almost wetting himself at the prospect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here