Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Used Cars in Sussex for under £500

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Down in Sussex for the weekend with my girlfriend and she's looking to try and buy her first car - she has £500 cash and just wants a little hatchback to get mobile for the time being. Looking for something like an old Fiesta or Ka.. low insurance group (already being quoted £1700 at the cheapest for a 1.2 1998 hatchback).

Most used car dealerships seem to start their used cars from almost £2k upwards. Best to just phone around and see if they've got cheaper used stock that they don't feature on the websites?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Look at private ads

Dealers have a certain number of obligations (which the public are more aware of these days) regarding faults, sale of goods acts etc. and there is no money in £500 cars. It's just a potential nightmare for them so they understandably shove them off to auction.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
tbh if she's only got £500 to spend she'd be better off using public transport as the safety aspect of a car for that price is very questionable.
Saying it's only a runabout doesn't stop her getting hit by other vehicles or needing to stop in an emergency. All motoring organisations will admit that the MOT test is no guarantee of safety.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Look at private ads

Dealers have a certain number of obligations (which the public are more aware of these days) regarding faults, sale of goods acts etc. and there is no money in £500 cars. It's just a potential nightmare for them so they understandably shove them off to auction.

That's why I'm a bit more wary of private sales since there's likely less guarantee that the car will actually make it home, much less last for a year or so. I was hoping that we might find something that a dealer has accepted in part-ex that they just want to get a quick sale on..

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
£500 tbh isn't going to anything that won't be a drain on future resources cash wise

Bump up to a £1000 and the choice will be much bigger and ultimately better value in the long term

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
tbh if she's only got £500 to spend she'd be better off using public transport as the safety aspect of a car for that price is very questionable.

are you serious? my cars probably worth that and is no less safe than it was the day it was new 15 years ago for 15-20k. bar rust to structural points (which the MOT should find and get fixed), any car is as safe as it was new if maintained properly. tyres can be bald on a 30k BMW just as easily as a £300 Ford. you can get ridiculously good spec older cars for £500, a mate of mine has had a couple of Mercs for that sort of money and a Porshce 924 for £100, nothing wrong with them safty wise (now engine managment, exhausts, scrappy interior and paint works, thats another matter...)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
That's why I'm a bit more wary of private sales since there's likely less guarantee that the car will actually make it home, much less last for a year or so. I was hoping that we might find something that a dealer has accepted in part-ex that they just want to get a quick sale on..

You will get very little if any warranty on a £500 part ex motor

At that end of the market, you really need to budget properly. One you've set aside the cash needed to cover maintenance, repairs, insurance and tax, how much can you afford? I've known lots of people who think they can "afford" a £500 car, but find that, just a few weeks later, they've run out of the funds to keep the vehicle on the road.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
(already being quoted £1700 at the cheapest for a 1.2 1998 hatchback).
s?

I have just managed to get insurance for my daughter for her first car 1.2 Clio with Admiral for £1075 - with me as a named driver reduced it by £1k and my Dad as well another £200 - well worth trying adding relatives to see what happens)

We have done a multi car policy and I will transfer mine over (saving £150) next July when my current policy finishes).

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011

Which is why they don't as they have legal obligations so they shunt them off to auction. There's no more likelihood, at this price range, that a dealer car will be any better.

Also, when someone part-exes a £500 banger, it's often because they know there's bills on the way.

Get someone who knows a bit about checking cars if you don't. Check all the usual (documentation all adds up, HPI check if all else looks good and you want to take it further, tyres, brakes, suspension, dash lights all come one/go out, exhaust not blowing etc., MOT not from long ago or make a fresh MOT a condition of sale). Check service history (more importantly, the recent service history).

At the end of the day, there will be NO guarantee at this price point. To reduce your chances of getting a bad car, you need to spend more. That's not to say there aren't good £500 bangers out there, just far a fewer in between. Far more choice at £1k/£2k. That said, spending £500 means that the most you lose is £500! Spend £1000 and find something terminal and that's twice as much down the drain.

Don't worry too much about cosmetics, air con working, stereos etc., just get something where the mechanics are sound. Consider cars that aren't "desirable", there should be a few basic Jap cars (Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas) about.

I think you need to be prepared to write off the car after the year, so look at something with a fresh MOT, run it until it breaks properly and buy a replacement. If you get lucky it will run for a few years, if not just replace it. Budget another £500 per year (on top of your £500 purchase price) to repair or replace. If you can't afford this then I say she probably can't afford to drive.

It's always a gamble at the lower end, that's why they're all cheap!!! Obviously the more you know the easier it is to get a bargain but that only comes with experience and research.

As an aside, this is partially the result of the stupid labour scrappage scheme which has taken thousands of half decent cars off the road. Those bad bangers that people don't pay to maintain are the ones left (as their owners are far less likely to bad able to afford a new replacement car etc.).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Some shit advice here. Can get some great bargains for that price. Younger years used to only buy £100 cars and yeah was a few duds but also several absolute gems. Get a years ticket and do the basic checks and should be ok

Check Gumtree / local papers etc

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
You can get a car for that price but be prepared to have to fork out a bit more to keep it roadworthy in the case you get a lemon. Can get lucky though.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Check Gumtree / local papers etc

I agree, I bought a Vauxhall Astra from Gumtree a few years ago, sold cheap (£300) because couple were emigrating and wanted to sell. I got 3 years out of it and paid very little repair work before giving to son-in-law.

He had it about 8 months before head gasket went.

Should be able to get a Golf or Corsa for a few hundred quid with a decent MOT on it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Seems to be some scare mongering on here. I'd have absolutely no concerns about spending £500 on a little car to run about in. These cars don't only come on the market because of potential costs, it could be because a larger car was needed or company car was acquired.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Saying it's only a runabout doesn't stop her getting hit by other vehicles or needing to stop in an emergency. All motoring organisations will admit that the MOT test is no guarantee of safety.

What a pompous load of rubbish. The MOT says that the car is basically safe and will not rust away soon. It matters not whether you pay £2000 or £500 for a car the basic safety aspects like brakes and tyres steering etc will need attending to and keeping an eye on.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
If you have the time,forget the usual dealer/newspaper/online means of getting a car.
get down to Shoreham car auctions(funnily enough in Lancing).£500 quid will get you a decent runaround , most of the dealers will have bought their stock from them and added a heafty premium to the price you pay.

Wherever you get a £500 car from you are taking a risk on getting a crock of shit,at least at the auction YOU are getting the car at the lowest price possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here