Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Used Car Prices

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We saw this as

a. He is really focused on passing his test and owning a car, and,

b. The right time to teach him if you want it you've got to work hard and save for it, but you're right a lot of his mates are saying this but the other way around. I'll get it and get a job to pay for it, bad lesson in life IMHO.

Maybe, but it's the way of the world these days. In addition to the other examples I mentioned, there are more are people renting, so they never actually 'own' a property (even though a mortgage is a type of finance anyway).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I didn't learn to drive until I was 18-19, couldn't afford it and was happy on a scooter . . . TBH I only did it because A: I could get a bass amp around and B: girsl weren't interested in scooters. :rolleyes:

when I bought my flat @ 20, I was back on 2 wheels for several years, it wasn't until the late 90's I got into cars per se. I still see modern cars as an utter waste of money.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I didn't learn to drive until I was 18-19, couldn't afford it and was happy on a scooter . . . TBH I only did it because A: I could get a bass amp around and B: girsl weren't interested in scooters. :rolleyes:

when I bought my flat @ 20, I was back on 2 wheels for several years, it wasn't until the late 90's I got into cars per se. I still see modern cars as an utter waste of money.

Similar to you, I had a motorbike for a couple of years but fell off it a few times. Got a licence and car as I thought it may hurt less.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think we’re alike in this. Give me an analogue preferably classic car over new ones everyday of the week. The newest car I currently have is 13 years old and one was built in 1977. I often hire cars and even nice ones bore me within 30 mins, they almost drive themselves now :shrug:

I went in a Tesla big **** off taxi in Portugal a few months ago. Everything about it was better than any car I have owned from acceleration to comfort, screen size etc. I hated it but my wife loved it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Unsurprisingly I definitely agree modern cars are such a con.

They're great, safe, smooth, quiet and most of the time not used for purpose.

'it does 0-60 in 8 seconds and 100 in little over 15'.
'Great, but how's it's idling for 10 mins, stop/start and squeezing into tight parking spaces'.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Unsurprisingly I definitely agree modern cars are such a con.

They're great, safe, smooth, quiet and most of the time not used for purpose.

'it does 0-60 in 8 seconds and 100 in little over 15'.
'Great, but how's it's idling for 10 mins, stop/start and squeezing into tight parking spaces'.

That's the problem, I haven't been a great example in terms of the cost or type of cars I've had over the years, that said he's far more sensible than me at 16 coming on 17.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here