Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Use by dates - a con?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just opened some cheese. There's nothing like a nice slice of mature cheddar... but according to the packaging I have to eat the whole lot within three days or bin it. Even though, unopened, it was going to last until mid-January. I don't especially want to have a heart attack by Sunday, so I was quite hoping it might last a bit longer.

Now, I can understand with stuff like chicken that you can't mess about. But cheese? Is this just a swizz so Tesco can make more money by selling more 'fresh' stuff?

How long do you keep food once you've opened it?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
depends what it is...

i once got told you could keep a chicken in the freezer for 5 months.
TOTAL BULLSHIT...i put one in on monday, and it was dead by tuesday ???

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Its like bottled water, supposedly running through the mountains for thousands of years, Best before next month:angry:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told by a chap at a large Wine gum manufacturer, that make them for most of the supermarket chains, that by law they can only put 12 month date on packets of wine gums. When they are nearing that date they are removed sent back to factory and repackaged with another 12 months and a code to show that this is the 2nd time of packaging. They do this the following year so in effect you could buy a packet of wine gums that are in date but actually nearly 3 years old. If they dont sell by the end of the third packaging they are binned.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I bought some Stilton today and it was mouldy despite being well within its sell by date, should I complain?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I never look at use by dates. If the food looks, smells and tastes ok then I eat it.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Göttingen gull said:
i cooked some chicken fillets yesterday, was nearly a week out of date...
it was delicious! never believe what they write on the packets.

I once opened chicken thats supposed to be in date that stank to high heaven so rather you than me eating a week old! :sick:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Skint Gull said:
I once opened chicken thats supposed to be in date that stank to high heaven so rather you than me eating a week old! :sick:

So you're proving the point that the date on the packet makes no difference then.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Rangdo said:
So you're proving the point that the date on the packet makes no difference then.

Fair point! To be fair I sniff every bit of fresh food i use whether it's in date or not, but i wouldn't eat something like that a week out of date cos it only has about a weeks shelf life in the first place!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Skint Gull said:
Fair point! To be fair I sniff every bit of fresh food i use whether it's in date or not, but i wouldn't eat something like that a week out of date cos it only has about a weeks shelf life in the first place!

I doubt I would either with chicken although I would probably have put it in the freezer a couple of days before it went out of date :)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Grate the rest of the cheese, stick it in a bag and freeze it.

When you need some cheese on toast etc.. just take out what you need and cook it from frozen - its fine.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
clapham_gull said:
Grate the rest of the cheese, stick it in a bag and freeze it.

When you need some cheese on toast etc.. just take out what you need and cook it from frozen - its fine.

Now THAT is a genius idea!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Guinness Dave said:
depends what it is...

:clap2:

Have you been taking a sneak peek at the Xmas crackers?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
BensGrandad said:
I was told by a chap at a large Wine gum manufacturer, that make them for most of the supermarket chains, that by law they can only put 12 month date on packets of wine gums. When they are nearing that date they are removed sent back to factory and repackaged with another 12 months and a code to show that this is the 2nd time of packaging. They do this the following year so in effect you could buy a packet of wine gums that are in date but actually nearly 3 years old. If they dont sell by the end of the third packaging they are binned.

Sounds like more hassle than making new ones to me.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Guinness Dave said:
depends what it is...

I thank you.

Gee - you're a tough audience ...............

that was a good one.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We're always eating food that's past it's 'use by' date, I maintain Worcester Suace doesn't start to get any flavor until it's sat at the back of the cupboard for six years.

I think we got the record a month or so ago when Mrs Brovian found an unopened bag of pasta in our larder with a 'use by' date of, wait for it, 1992! It was ok.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I remember a Wagon Wheel in the food bar on the East Terrace that was on sale for about 6 years. Nobody dared to buy it just in case it couldn't be replaced. Each home game we checked nobdy had bought it! Towards the end the wrapper had fadded badly!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here