Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

USA at the world cup

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Apparantly the US have snapped 130,000 world cup tickets, more tickets than any other nation! Perhaps interest in soccerball is growing accross the pond. I also notice the MLS last season had the 13th highest average attendance in world football.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I can see USA going through as the second team with England in the group. I think the Yanks are finally starting to take an interest in soccerball but it is really the Latino immigrants from South America who are pushing it. I’ve got a season ticket for New York Red Bulls and it works out at about 14 quid per game in a brand new state of the art stadium and the perks and fan services they provide are well impressive.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I find it hard to believe that these are genuine fan purchases, the cynical side of me says that there are probably loads of ticket agencies operating out of the US?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I find it hard to believe that these are genuine fan purchases, the cynical side of me says that there are probably loads of ticket agencies operating out of the US?

OR Perhaps its Al-Qaeda buying the tickets so they can plant pot bomb the stadium? Cynical I know.:laugh:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
OR Perhaps its Al-Qaeda buying the tickets so they can plant pot bomb the stadium? Cynical I know.:laugh:

Or the US forces have bought them under the guise of invading another country.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I can see USA going through as the second team with England in the group. I think the Yanks are finally starting to take an interest in soccerball but it is really the Latino immigrants from South America who are pushing it. I’ve got a season ticket for New York Red Bulls and it works out at about 14 quid per game in a brand new state of the art stadium and the perks and fan services they provide are well impressive.

I hope they do well and I think they will.

Good to hear you still get to take in some football over there, I know the stadium is fantastic but what's the experience like, does it even come close to English football fr atmosphere?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can it ever take of in the USA? 45 mins tv without a break..unthinkable.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I hope they fail abysmally. The US dominate too many sports as it is.

Down with the Great Satan :lol:

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
They had about 55,000 in for their last warm up game yesterday against Turkey, which isn't bad. It was in Philidelphia, I think.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I know they get decent crowds at home, but the average US sports doesn't travel to support his team. They think twice about leaving the city limits let alone travel to South Africa!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
The population of the USA is about 120 million greater than that of the next largest World Cup participant. On that basis, I'd expect them to sell more tickets than any other nation.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I hope they do well and I think they will.

Good to hear you still get to take in some football over there, I know the stadium is fantastic but what's the experience like, does it even come close to English football fr atmosphere?

Overall the atmosphere is definitely lacking but Withdean ain’t exactly electrifying is it. You just don’t get the standard of singing and chanting you get in England but every so often you hear a chant started by someone who has obviously been to some European games. But in some ways it’s the same as the UK – you still spend ages queuing up for the bogs and burgers! What does impress me is the way MLS fans travel to support their clubs – Albion fans whinge about some of the away games like Carlisle and Hartlepool but these guys do New York to Seattle in their stride.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Overall the atmosphere is definitely lacking but Withdean ain’t exactly electrifying is it. You just don’t get the standard of singing and chanting you get in England but every so often you hear a chant started by someone who has obviously been to some European games. But in some ways it’s the same as the UK – you still spend ages queuing up for the bogs and burgers! What does impress me is the way MLS fans travel to support their clubs – Albion fans whinge about some of the away games like Carlisle and Hartlepool but these guys do New York to Seattle in their stride.

I bet it's a hell of a lot easier to get a flight from new York to Seattle than from Brighton to Carlisle!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Soccer was always quite well played at college level in the US.

It was only after that it fell away, but with the MLS it's changed that about.

So many US tv shows with mothers and kids have the moms taking the kids to soccer practice.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The population of the USA is about 120 million greater than that of the next largest World Cup participant. On that basis, I'd expect them to sell more tickets than any other nation.

And not forgetting the miriad of different nationalities that live there. Just because 130K tickets have been sold in the US doesn't necessarily mean all 130K are US supporters.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Soccer was always quite well played at college level in the US.

It was only after that it fell away, but with the MLS it's changed that about.

So many US tv shows with mothers and kids have the moms taking the kids to soccer practice.

It's generally much tougher for a high school sportsman to get a MLS scholarship at college - so generally a kid who may be good at soccer and American football will take up the NFL offer. Also the average MLS player is on a much lower pay deal than the big 3

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I think things are changing slowly mainly as there is such a large mexican population who love proper football. The Yank attitude has always been wrong in sports if they can't win they are not interested thats why they call the baseball the "World Series" yet its only Yank teams that play in it, they hate losing and would rather not play than lose.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think things are changing slowly mainly as there is such a large mexican population who love proper football. The Yank attitude has always been wrong in sports if they can't win they are not intrested thats why they call the baseball the "World Series" yet its only Yank teams that play in it, they hate losing and would rather not play than lose.

How sore were they in the 90's when the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series...if it hadn't been for the strike pretty much destroying the game for a couple of seasons there was every indication the Canadians would have dominated it for years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here