Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Us veggies are the cleverest !!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Intelligent children are more likely to become vegetarians later in life, a study says.

A Southampton University team found those who were vegetarian by 30 had recorded five IQ points more on average at the age of 10.

Researchers said it could explain why people with higher IQ were healthier as a vegetarian diet was linked to lower heart disease and obesity rates.

The study of 8,179 was reported in the British Medical Journal.

Twenty years after the IQ tests were carried out in 1970, 366 of the participants said they were vegetarian - although more than 100 reported eating either fish or chicken.

Men who were vegetarian had an IQ score of 106, compared with 101 for non-vegetarians; while female vegetarians averaged 104, compared with 99 for non-vegetarians.

We've always known that vegetarianism is an intelligent, compassionate choice benefiting animals, people and the environment
Liz O'Neill, of The Vegetarian Society

There was no difference in IQ score between strict vegetarians and those who said they were vegetarian but who reported eating fish or chicken.

Researchers said the findings were partly related to better education and higher occupational social class, but it remained statistically significant after adjusting for these factors.

Vegetarians were more likely to be female, to be of higher occupational social class and to have higher academic or vocational qualifications than non-vegetarians.

However, these differences were not reflected in their annual income, which was similar to that of non-vegetarians.

Lead researcher Catharine Gale said: "The finding that children with greater intelligence are more likely to report being vegetarian as adults, together with the evidence on the potential benefits of a vegetarian diet on heart health, may help to explain why higher IQ in childhood or adolescence is linked with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease in adult life."

Intelligence

However, she added the link may be merely an example of many other lifestyle preferences that might be expected to vary with intelligence, such as choice of newspaper, but which may or may not have implications for health.

Liz O'Neill, of the Vegetarian Society, said: "We've always known that vegetarianism is an intelligent, compassionate choice benefiting animals, people and the environment.

"Now we've got the scientific evidence to prove it. Maybe that explains why many meat-reducers are keen to call themselves vegetarians when even they must know that vegetarians don't eat chicken, turkey or fish."

But Dr Frankie Phillips, of the British Dietetic Association, said: "It is like the chicken and the egg. Do people become vegetarian because they have a very high IQ or is it just that they tend to be more aware of health issues?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6180753.stm

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If they're so clever, how come they think chicken and fish are vegetables?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
dougdeep said:

Catholics are the same. Back in the 16th Century the Pope officially decreed that the capybara - a giant rodent - was a fish, so that the Venezuelans and Colombians could still eat it when meat was banned during Lent.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cheeky Monkey said:
You just cannae beat a nice Quorn 'Southern Style' burger

Veggies rule

:clap2:

Bacon sarnies and Roast Turkey beats a Quorn burger and a few peanuts welded together

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
dougdeep said:

That is ridiculous, I agree, but it's the case with veggies and the rest of you.

I'm a vegetarian, and yet I'll often get asked what I do and don't eat, when it seems fairly obvious to me. I don't eat meat, therefore any animals are off the menu, I do eat dairy products, otherwise I'd have said I'm a vegan.

But for YEARS, and I mean about 10, my MUM would still offer me sausage rolls because "there really isn't much meat in them."

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Normal Rob said:
f*** vegetarians.

No thanks mate, you're not really my type, I'm strictly butter-side up.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's another fact that left wing people are more intelligent than right wing people. Most debates on here bear this out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gritt23 said:
That is ridiculous, I agree, but it's the case with veggies and the rest of you.

I'm a vegetarian, and yet I'll often get asked what I do and don't eat, when it seems fairly obvious to me. I don't eat meat, therefore any animals are off the menu, I do eat dairy products, otherwise I'd have said I'm a vegan.

But for YEARS, and I mean about 10, my MUM would still offer me sausage rolls because "there really isn't much meat in them."
But surely you can eat wafer-thin ham?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
dougdeep said:

We don't...real veggies don't do fish.

And if Redland's so clever then how come he writes "Us veggies are the cleverest" instead of (the correct) "We veggies are the cleverest"? :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... ok, I realise that last post invalidated my first post ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here