Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US special forces, loose cannons?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Well I take it you are some authority on hostage rescue because if you're not I don't know on what basis you venture to ridicule those soldiers attempting to save her life by your sarcastic comment. I very much doubt those guys set out and carried out the mission with anything but the intention of bringing her out safely but in this sort of warfare those guys, who I may add were risking their lives aswell, were up against a very big ask to bring her out alive in the first place. I say fair play for trying to save her because she would not have come away alive in anything other than a rescue! Total respect to all those troops, from every nation out there doing a job the likes of us have no idea about unless you've been there!!!

If the yanks can't tell the difference between OUR tanks and the enemy is there really any massive surprise that despite their best efforts they may well have killed the hostage they were trying to rescue! Is this the latest version of "friendly fire"?

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Good post by 'Big G'. The military obviously thought that they had a chance at that time to get to her but as has been said elsewhere there are too many imponderables in this sort of situation. My respect to the men that risked everything to take that chance.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Something always goes wrong when you put a gun in a yanks hand and point him in the direction of the enemy.

Dalef65

Oct 12, 2010
If the yanks can't tell the difference between OUR tanks and the enemy is there really any massive surprise that despite their best efforts they may well have killed the hostage they were trying to rescue! Is this the latest version of "friendly fire"?

Have you ever been in the Army or in any comparable situation pal...??

I would guess not from this post......

Lets not all jump on the bandwagon of simply blaming the squaddies(whatever their nationality)for this poor girls death...

Lets not forget that she was kidnapped by the sort of people who like to behead westerners and put the video on the internet.

The US Army were simply trying to rescue her from this fate.
The sad thing is that war is an unpredictable,horrific business and sometimes things do go wrong..
Do you really think the Soldiers wanted her dead....?
People sitting here in comfortable houses and offices trying to second guess the actions of soldiers on the ground,simply show their ignorance to me.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
She knew the risks of being there, and as such why should the forces be blamed when they tried to rescue her?

These things go wrong, as this attempt did, there is no saying that the UK SF would have been any better on this occasion than US SF.

I know patriotically we think that the UK SF are better, but this was probably the US "patch" and so thefore they had the leading hand, there is nothing to say UK SF were not involved. we will never know.

RAF 30 years...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks like they were being economical about the truth, and she was killed by a US grenade. I appreciate it's a dangerous job under testing circumstances and mistakes will happen, but I think it is despicable they try and cover mistakes up.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Have you ever been in the Army or in any comparable situation pal...??

I would guess not from this post......

Lets not all jump on the bandwagon of simply blaming the squaddies(whatever their nationality)for this poor girls death...

Lets not forget that she was kidnapped by the sort of people who like to behead westerners and put the video on the internet.

The US Army were simply trying to rescue her from this fate.
The sad thing is that war is an unpredictable,horrific business and sometimes things do go wrong..
Do you really think the Soldiers wanted her dead....?
People sitting here in comfortable houses and offices trying to second guess the actions of soldiers on the ground,simply show their ignorance to me.

Do i need to somehow apologise for having an opinion?
Do I have an opinion on fish tanks' reputation for killing those on THEIR OWN SIDE, why yes I do.
Did I say "the soldiers wanted her dead", err NO so don't try to imply that I did when it is clear that I did not.
Lets not forget that she chose to go there knowing full well the implications of her actions!
People not willing to accept others' opinions whose differ from their own show ignorance to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here