Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uruguay bans football

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Just seen this.

Uruguayan Football Association president Sebastian Bauza announced the ban after the incident at the end of Wednesday's "clasico" between arch-rivals Penarol and Nacional at the Centenario.

A young man was also still in intensive care after being shot during fighting between the teams' rival hooligan gangs in a street close to the Centenario in Montevideo before kickoff.

"We have agreed (with the Interior ministry) that we have to take decisions and send out signals that there are limits that must be respected," Bauza told a news conference.

"The acts that occurred outside and inside the Centenario stadium must not be repeated," he said at the announcement of the ban.

Police officers had come onto the pitch to shield the referee from protests by Nacional players after the final whistle in the match, part of a mid-season summer-recess tournament.

Bava's arrest was immediately ordered by Judge Alejandro Guido, who was watching the match on television, in a phone call to the ninth precinct police whose office is beneath the Centenario, Uruguay's biggest stadium.

The goalkeeper, who spent the night in jail, was released on Thursday after making a statement along with witnesses and was reported to have apologised for his actions. He had claimed he lashed out after being hit by police shields and a truncheon.

Penarol will not be able to play the final against Argentine second division side Atletico Tucuman, which had been scheduled for Saturday, due to the ban.

Uruguay is attempting to curb violence in the game with the worst incidents involving the hooligan element among fans of Penarol, winners of the Apertura championship in the first half of the season, and Uruguayan title holders Nacional.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
that was more out of a panic reaction rather than two firms going head to head not saying it wasn't tragic though ,no one deserves to die . same thing at Hillsborough.

And Bradford, more unfortunate negligence/accidents than toe to toe as you say. Remember watching the footy factories with Danny Dyer and there are some serious nutters in these other countries, especially South America.

Jan 30, 2008
And Bradford, more unfortunate negligence/accidents than toe to toe as you say. Remember watching the footy factories with Danny Dyer and there are some serious nutters in these other countries, especially South America.
you're right they seem to have a big influence at the clubs they support , corruption is rife , i'm not saying it's a no go place but when was the last time England played an international on South American soil ???

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
you're right they seem to have a big influence at the clubs they support , corruption is rife , i'm not saying it's a no go place but when was the last time England played an international on South American soil ???

My girlies Brazilian, not been there myself yet, but probably will this year for a build up to 2014... I want to go watch Corinthians, but remember on the footy factories they showed Corinthians going to Rio for a game, supporters on a coach, and they got ambushed with firearms and the tv crew were on the coach! That is serious stuff, not the slap around the face we get banned for in the UK!

Jan 30, 2008
My girlies Brazilian, not been there myself yet, but probably will this year for a build up to 2014... I want to go watch Corinthians, but remember on the footy factories they showed Corinthians going to Rio for a game, supporters on a coach, and they got ambushed with firearms and the tv crew we are before christmas someone i know went to Buenos Aires before christmas and said he had no problem apart from being told not to go across the river plate as there were reports of tourists being mugged in Montivideo.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
that's South America for you,WERE WE EVER THAT BAD ???

Err.......Heysel?

I agree with both these statements. During the time of Heysel, we were very bad! But at the same time you have "passionate" (I say that term very loosely) South American football fanatics that like throwing flares, rockets, knives, guns and whatever they can get their hands on.

And Brazil are hosting the next World Cup and Olympics :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here