Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uruguay 5/1 on Sky Bet

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
So everytime there's a free kick given in every match, that's cheating? Even when it's accidental?

eg, the keeper taking too long to clear the ball from his hands results in a free kick to the oppo - is that cheating?

Yep, if a player brings down another player and a correct free kick is given that is cheating because you are stopping an opposing player from progressing by fouling him. However, there are obviously scales of cheating that have to be classified as to there overall effect on the outcome of a game and to win a World Cup quarter final as Uruguay did is right up there alongside Maradona's handball (because they were punished by the ref is an irrelevance they still cheated). To anyone that says Ghana shouldn't have been awarded the free kick in the first place, two wrongs never make a right.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
There you go. EVERY team cheats.

Get over it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I still want to know how people would feel if the Uruguay Ghana incident occured during Hereford v Brighton and cost us our league place? Bet everyone would be a bit pissed off then

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
When did they cheat? I seem to have missed that bit? Did they score a goal that they shouldnt? Or maybe they have fielded an ineligible player? Or was someone booked in error in order to avoid someone else getting sent off? Maybe They fielded 12 outfield players in one game?

Can someone please elaborate.

I do recall them being PUNISHED WITHIN THE RULES for the handball, which anyone would have done.
It had to happen some time, I totally agree with every word you said there, what the f*** is he on about cheating their way through.
Can everyone who's still bleating on about Suarez's handball just get over it, he took one for his country and he's a national hero now - how proud and pious would you have been if an England player had done that to get through to the semis I wonder?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
They did cheat, because one of their outfield players stopped with both his hands on the goal line a ball that was going to score a winning goal. That is against the rules of the game and is cheating.

Just because his team were correctly punished by the ref and that Ghana missed the subsequent penalty, doesn't mean to say that they aren't still cheats.

Rubbish. Suarez didn't cheat, he broke the rules and suffered the appropriate punishment. Ghana missed the penalty and that is why they lost. Suarez did what every other player would have done and quite frankly the hand-wringing over this incident is pretty pathetic.

Take a look at the diving in this tournament, that is cheating. A deliberate attempt to win a free-kick, pen, red or yellow card to one's own advantage through deception is cheating.

I believe that a Ghanian has been retrospectively adjudged to have DIVED to win the free-kick from which Suarez saved his team, that is a far more dishonest form of cheating, the other is a breach of the rules. Hypocrisy rules!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I still want to know how people would feel if the Uruguay Ghana incident occured during Hereford v Brighton and cost us our league place? Bet everyone would be a bit pissed off then

Pissed off yes.

But I think over time most people would remember the PENALTY MISS by Maskell or Baird as opposed to the handball by the Hereford player.

A GOLDEN opportunity to score and it gets f***ed up!

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham

Well obviously they would be pissed off. If a Brighton player did it and saved our league place everyone would be loving it.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
The verb to cheat: `to violate rules or regulations`.

He cheated!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Rubbish. Suarez didn't cheat, he broke the rules and suffered the appropriate punishment. Ghana missed the penalty and that is why they lost. Suarez did what every other player would have done and quite frankly the hand-wringing over this incident is pretty pathetic.

Take a look at the diving in this tournament, that is cheating. A deliberate attempt to win a free-kick, pen, red or yellow card to one's own advantage through deception is cheating.

I believe that a Ghanian has been retrospectively adjudged to have DIVED to win the free-kick from which Suarez saved his team, that is a far more dishonest form of cheating, the other is a breach of the rules. Hypocrisy rules!

Suarez did cheat, period.

He commited a deliberate foul to stop Ghana from scoring the winner that really is the end of story.

Whether he took one for the team, is a national hero and he got punished etc is not what is at question, or that even if what I think he did was maybe the best thing to do! The question is as to whether or not he and thereby Uruguay are cheats....which they are.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Indeed. I think a lot of people get confused between the different odds available at the moment i.e. win in 90mins, progress to next round, or win the tournament. Who in their right mind would expect to see 12/1 on a straight 90 minute match?! Even North Korea had worse odds than that against Brazil and Portugal.

agreed, when i saw 12/1 at betfred i knew it was to win the Cup. it still seemed generous in that they may (dont quite see it mind) edge into final, so it was worth a 3 quid punt

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Suarez did cheat, period.

He commited a deliberate foul to stop Ghana from scoring the winner that really is the end of story.

Whether he took one for the team, is a national hero and he got punished etc is not what is at question, or that even if what I think he did was maybe the best thing to do! The question is as to whether or not he and thereby Uruguay are cheats....which they are.
It's a good one this, there's a bunch of us who are just never going to agree with each other here - looking forward to them grind Holland into frustration later....

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
It's a good one this, there's a bunch of us who are just never going to agree with each other here - looking forward to them grind Holland into frustration later....

As countrygull has just said

The verb to cheat: `to violate rules or regulations`.

He cheated!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You forgot the bit ......and GET AWAY WITH IT. Or if we have our dictionaries out : and deliberate foul play with the aim of avoiding sanction. (Uruguay WERE penalised/sanctioned)

Which they didnt. If Ghana has scored then there would be no debate.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

And that is ILLEGAL (not cheating) as in against the LAWS of the game and WAS PUNISHED.

If he had got away with it then I would concede that they cheated. However the officials were spot on.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
You forgot the bit ......and GET AWAY WITH IT. Or if we have our dictionaries out : and deliberate foul play with the aim of avoiding sanction. (Uruguay WERE penalised/sanctioned)

Which they didnt. If Ghana has scored then there would be no debate.

If Ghana had scored, there would be no debate only because Ghana would have won. However, Suarez would still have been a cheat and had cheated, whether they scored the pen or not.

And as about your GETTING AWAY WITH IT, what are you kidding me that his team didn't get away with it. Do me a favour tonight they are playing a World Cup semi when if Suarez hadn't of cheated they would have been back in Montevideo already.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Pissed off yes.

But I think over time most people would remember the PENALTY MISS by Maskell or Baird as opposed to the handball by the Hereford player.

A GOLDEN opportunity to score and it gets f***ed up!

The fact would still remain that one of our players would have had a ball heading into the net i.e. scored, only to have that taken away and then have the chance to score a penalty. If you can say there would be no extra pressure on the penalty taker and it's his own fault if he's misses then fine, but in my opinion it is not a fair reward for someone breaking the rules by stopping a legimate goalbound shot with their hand. The added kick in the nuts bit is that is the last minute of the match and so no benefit is to be had by the player being sent off.

It's all about the crime i.e. the handball, being matched by appropriate compensation for the team fouled against and a penalty in those circumstances is not a fair reward in my opinon.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
surely there are different degress of cheating - like cheating on a woman. the penalty incident would come under doing things that are illegal in some american states in your marital bed with your wifes bed friend

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The fact is that Luis Suarez IS a horrible, weasley, slimey little cheat, anyway. Not for the handball, but for spending the ENTIRE world cup DIVING, CRYING and waving IMAGINARY CARDS around. The little twat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here