Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Urgent virus help needed!

warlingham seagull

Jul 28, 2004
Warlingham
I have McAfee (free with O2) and it allowed it through. McAfee's helpline said it was not their problem. Malwarebytes does get very good reviews.....
You pays your money (or not) and takes your choice.
Any way system restore worked in my case

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have McAfee (free with O2) and it allowed it through. McAfee's helpline said it was not their problem. Malwarebytes does get very good reviews.....
You pays your money (or not) and takes your choice.
Any way system restore worked in my case

I have McAfee Security Centre and it did alert me when trying various streaming sites to watch the England game. I also use Spybot , Spywareblaster and Malwarebytes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't know whay I didn't think of that first! Panic I guess! Have just been reading through, and there are loads of people with the same problem. Seems this virus blocks ctrl-alt-del and also your USB ports so you can't get data off!

Bf is bringing home an IT techie from work to try and sort it cos I'm completely lost now!

but you have internet access? suggest you email your important OU files to yourself at hotmail, gmail whatever.

get AVG installed once you are back to running, clearly the Virgin AV doesnt catch this bugger.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
I had one of these some time back from watching live football via a website.
Tried everything and as a last resort did a system restore to a point before the problem occurred. Did it for me -and no more watching dodgy football sites.
Malwarebytes - free - might also be worth a try - it found 5 trojans on mine which all others had failed to find

Yep this is a very good one to use.

Everyone using the internet should invest in a decent anti virus program- Norton, McAfee etc. As they generally save this happening.

Norton!!!! stay well clear of that!

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Massive thanks to everyone who contributed to this with some very helpful advice. It seems to have been pretty much sorted now. Taking SOG's advice, I googled the virus name and came across a thread with loads of suggestions on what has helped others to resolve it. The most popular method was to explore the dodgy file in Windows Explorer, and then change the name of the file from .exe to .txt.

Doing so has stopped the virus operating and I now have full use of my PC back. As I type, I am also running the Malwarebytes scan to clean the PC up. Looking at the log, so far it has picked up 27 infected objects!!

The jury is still out as to whether boyfriend has to sleep in the garden tonight after causing all this hassle by apparently being in IDMB forums before I even woke up this morning :lol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm glad I use Linux, no viruses and no expensive anti this and that.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I had one called personal antivirus and googled a solution. Just make sure you now remove it including from the registery keys.:)

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I had one called personal antivirus and googled a solution. Just make sure you now remove it including from the registery keys.:)

I'm right in the middle of removing that from my missus' PC at this very moment.

What did you use? Currently going at it with Anti-Malware

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
use ZoneAlarm plus Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware & Avast Antivirus....all free and all miles better than the resource-hog which is Norton :)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm right in the middle of removing that from my missus' PC at this very moment.

What did you use? Currently going at it with Anti-Malware

I used spyware doctor which is in itself a bit dodgy and removed spyware doctor afterwards. I removed one with spybot from a friends computer.

The link below has the keys you need to clean up. includes link to spyware doctor if you want that.

How to remove Personal Antivirus rogue anti-spyware | remove-malware.net

The registry entries that need to be removed are as follows:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Personal Antivirus_is1
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ITGRDENGINE
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ITGrdEngine
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer “PrS”
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Personal Antivirus”

Please, be aware that manual removal of Personal Antivirus is a cumbersome process and does not always ensure complete deletion of the malware, due to the fact that some files might be hidden or may get reanimated automatically afterwards. Moreover, manual interference of this kind may cause damage to the system. That’s why we strongly recommend automatic removal of Personal Antivirus, which will save your time and enable avoiding any system malfunctions and guarantee the needed result.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
RM Taylor.

If you have a registry re-install/ reset I suggest you take that route. Depends on your make of puter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here