Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

URGENT! car MOT's

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I need to get my car MOT'd, the only problem is that i got the dates mixed up and it acctually ran out over the weekend, rather than this weekend like i thaught! My normal garage cant fit me in any earlier than friday which is taking a bit of a risk! Anyone know of any decent garages in the southwick-hove area that could do it?

Thanks in advance

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Rapid auto centre, Portslade, (you'll have to google it for the address) run by Albion fan called Gary Stevens, he'll sort you out.

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I had a feeling you would reply with that, you sugested him to me a few years ago and he is the guy I normally use, but there booked out until Friday!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I had a feeling you would reply with that, you sugested him to me a few years ago and he is the guy I normally use, but there booked out until Friday!
I stand to be corrected but I'm certain as long as you have booked the car in you're be ok. Oh and I would also recommend Rapid Auto, Gary is a good guy.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you are driving direct to a booked appointment you are ok but not otherwise and the risk with ANPR cameras is more than it has ever been! One option is to hire a car for a few days - about £90?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
You are ok if you have booked it in and only drive it to the MOT place.

If you happen to book it into a garage in say, Inverness, then you are covered for the reasonable journey to there also..

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Is that true? If that the case then that would be great, i am a big fan of gary and the rest of the guys and always use them so that would be great if i can wait until Friday!

I stand to be corrected but I'm certain as long as you have booked the car in you're be ok. Oh and I would also recommend Rapid Auto, Gary is a good guy.

Thats only acceptable if you are actually driving to the place of MOT when you are stopped. In other words, the only time it is legal to drive a car without an MOT is to or from a booked MOT.

However, the reality is that you will be fine for a few days.;

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Ive booked it in for tomorrow morning at a diffrent garage to rapid fit, thanks to the advice guys. Its ok to leave my car parked outside my house isnt it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats only acceptable if you are actually driving to the place of MOT when you are stopped. In other words, the only time it is legal to drive a car without an MOT is to or from a booked MOT.

However, the reality is that you will be fine for a few days.;

Unless something happens and he tries to claim on the insurance....

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Ali there used to be a place on Kingston Broadway (Wadurs, Rayleight shop area) just round the back of the old Pet Shop, dunno if either are there anymore but they did MOTs.......the car shop that is not the Pet Store!

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
or the motshop in north rd portslade ..same road as rapidfit

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ive booked it in for tomorrow morning at a diffrent garage to rapid fit, thanks to the advice guys. Its ok to leave my car parked outside my house isnt it?

Should be ok unless the police are doing vehicle checks in your area, very uncommon but a friend has been caught that way, and if the insurance company find out the mot has run out and say someone runs into your car you are likely to find out your insurance is invalid

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Ali there used to be a place on Kingston Broadway (Wadurs, Rayleight shop area) just round the back of the old Pet Shop, dunno if either are there anymore but they did MOTs.......the car shop that is not the Pet Store!

Yes they are still there.Other half goes there,said to be very good.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In reality, if I came across someone whose MOT had run out a matter of days previously and they could show they'd already booked the appointment, I'd just be giving them a few gentle words of advice, not a ticket, and I suspect most of my colleagues would be the same.

Obviously so long as there was nothing else obviously wrong with the car...I mean if it had no tax, no insurance and was generally a heap of crap with little chance of passing the MOT anyway it might be different, but then there are more significant offences there anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here