Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Upgrading Mesh Network

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you want to tune your WiFi to run optimally get the free NetSpot app on your phone and do a signal strength and speed test in each room.

You may find another WiFi (neighbours) is conflicting with yours and a simple channell change can make a big difference.

I ethernet wired every room in the house 20 years ago and have a 16 port switch in the loft. Can't bear visible cables so everything runs in the cavity walls.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree completely but its not always possible or aesthetically pleasing to hard wire the house.

I did it as i wanted a more stable connection in my office for gaming and the WiFi to be stronger upstairs. Out the lounge wall, up the side of the house into the loft, then dropped through the ceiling.

Cable is hid being a unit, otherwise it would look terrible. When i redecorate i might see if it can be chased into the wall or in between the cavity!
Office for gaming?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Turning off the extender doesn’t seem to make any difference. So it looks like they were never configured properly. Well, that certainly explains my TV buffering 😁. Thank you for the general info. All useful stuff. My decision now is whether to use new Lightning Fibre extenders (£4 each per month) or buy a mesh system from Amazon (v roughly £300 or so).
Next step, set the extender up properly. What make/model is it ?

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Next step, set the extender up properly. What make/model is it ?
They belong to Lightning Fibre. They’re Zyxel. They were here when I moved in. The LF guy came round with a new router and checked the system. There were 2 extenders here from the previous owners. The LF guy explained what the extenders did, and recommended where to position them. It never occurred to me until now that they hadn’t been set up properly. They’ve been plugged in, happily flashing away, for 2 years.

I can’t see a way of installing them. I’ve downloaded the Zyxel app but it doesn’t seem to recognise the router or the extenders.

Anyway, I’m now thinking I might just get a mesh system instead. From what I read, they seem to work more efficiently.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
They belong to Lightning Fibre. They’re Zyxel. They were here when I moved in. The LF guy came round with a new router and checked the system. There were 2 extenders here from the previous owners. The LF guy explained what the extenders did, and recommended where to position them. It never occurred to me until now that they hadn’t been set up properly. They’ve been plugged in, happily flashing away, for 2 years.

I can’t see a way of installing them. I’ve downloaded the Zyxel app but it doesn’t seem to recognise the router or the extenders.

Anyway, I’m now thinking I might just get a mesh system instead. From what I read, they seem to work more efficiently.
Before you weigh out your hard-earned ....

from https://www.lightningfibre.co.uk/support :

Step 1:​

Press and hold the reset button on the back of the extender for 5 or so seconds until the power LED flashes and the extender reboots.

Step 2:​

Restart the router.

Step 3:​

Download the MPro Mesh app (MPro Mesh – Apps on Google Play, ‎MPro Mesh on the App Store (apple.com)) on your phone, this will allow you to sign into the router to re-add the extender. Connect to your routers (not extenders) WiFi network, open the app and you will have to sign in using the details on the back of the router (admin and the login password). Then, next to "Mesh Devices" tap the +. Select "Use WiFi" then "Next". You will then need to press and hold the WPS button on the back of the extender for 5 seconds until the LED for the circular key icon flashes amber. Then tap "Start Pairing" on the app.

Step 4:​

After 15 seconds or so the extender should sync with the main router. It will then take a few minutes for the WiFi networks to sync so please wait for this process to complete.

If step 4 fails and the app shows them as failing to sync, please try the steps again from 1.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024

Press and hold the reset button on the back of the extender for 5 or so seconds until the power LED flashes and the extender reboots.

Restart the router.

Download the MPro Mesh app (MPro Mesh – Apps on Google Play, ‎MPro Mesh on the App Store (apple.com)) on your phone, this will allow you to sign into the router to re-add the extender. Connect to your routers (not extenders) WiFi network, open the app and you will have to sign in using the details on the back of the router (admin and the login password). Then, next to "Mesh Devices" tap the +. Select "Use WiFi" then "Next". You will then need to press and hold the WPS button on the back of the extender for 5 seconds until the LED for the circular key icon flashes amber. Then tap "Start Pairing" on the app.

After 15 seconds or so the extender should sync with the main router. It will then take a few minutes for the WiFi networks to sync so please wait for this process to complete.

If step 4 fails and the app shows them as failing to sync, please try the steps again from 1.
Brilliant, thank you so much. I’ll try this later, when back at home. I searched for this sort of info but couldn’t find it. Thanks again.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024

Restart the router.

First of all, thanks again. This has at least allowed me to make progress. After downloading the app I was able to connect to the router and add the two extenders. They appear on the app but my devices still can’t see them. One of the TVs can see one of them but describes it as out of range even though it’s close to it. So I’ve escalated this to LF Support and will see what they say. Maybe I just need upgraded kit or a firmware update.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here