Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unusal and interesting music venues.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Mine would be earlier this year when I saw Glenn Branca play in a multi-storey car park in Peckham.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Saw Chumbawamba on the bank of the Alster in Hamburg. It was the same weekend that Princess Diana died:(

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Crass and the Poison Girls at Field Place in Worthing 1981.

£3! I remember when I first started gigging and Hammersmith Odeon was £5 and you obtained tickets by sending them a cheque and SAE.
It was only 50p when I saw Jimi Hendrix at Sussex University.

19671111sussex.jpg

... and I suspect it was a lot less than 50p when I saw the Beatles play at Maney Youth Club, Sutton Coldfield.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/02/01/live-maney-hall-sutton-coldfield/

... and the discussion on that page reminds me that I was once involved in booking Carl Wayne and the Vikings (later to become The Move) to play at a dance at the school I went to.

Last edited:

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
St George's Church in Kemptown is a beautiful setting for gigs. I've seen Lambchop, Emiliana Torrini, Brighton Beachboys, Beth Orton there. St Bartholomew's has hosted Daniel Johnston with Texan Sea Power supporting (aka BSP).

Nick Cave's Abbatoir Blues tour saw him play at the Ally Pally and the lighting made for a 20 foot shadow of his figure on stage. It was an incredible sight.
I saw Johnny Flynn at St George's church a few years ago. It was a nice little venue for some folk music. The odd thing about it was having a bar at the back of a church.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I saw Turin Brakes at a cafe in Worthing a few months ago - can't remember the name of the place but it's that big church like thingy opposite the post office?!?!? :)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I saw Turin Brakes at a cafe in Worthing a few months ago - can't remember the name of the place but it's that big church like thingy opposite the post office?!?!? :)

St Paul's - The Blockheads are playing there soon.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
The Cult -Moulsecoombe Polytechnic , 1984. The same day Everton beat Watford in the FA cup final and astbury would not stop going on about it.

Meatloaf -in a lounge/bar in Mississagua , Ontario, mid eighties. The ceiling was so low , he spent most the gig supporting himself against it , in an attempt to avoid falling onto one of the tables in front of the tiny stage. He was still a bit of a chubber in those days . Actually thought it was a tribute band until I got in and and saw it was the man himself.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I remember playing the Collonade Bar in Hastings in the mid 1980s.

Nothing really unusual there except that the only way to the gents was through the stage and as the evening progressed, and drink was taken, the number of people who stood on my effects pedals increased to the point that I didn't haven't a clue what sort of noise was going to be coming out of my amp after audience toilet breaks!

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Just concentrating on venues, three spring to mind for me.

The Crypt (Brighton) in was precisely that. Del Strangefish will remember it better than me. Punk Heyday!
Another was a festival in U-boat factory near Hamburg, where a band i was with played.
Finally Berkeley Amphitheatre (Calif.) - Ramones with Social Distortion supporting

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

My mates supported them (a 5 piece), hope they did themselves proud?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Babyshambles at Lush nightclub in Worthing

boik

Saw Sad Among Strangers play both The Embassy in Mayfair, and The Hippodrome (complete with topless girls). Drinks prices were at mortgage levels (as it seemed to me) and neither venue served pints. Not sure who their manager was, but obviously had up-market contacts!

Saw House of Love at The Albert Hall. Whilst not an unusual venue for music, it did seem a bit incongruous for HOL.

Missed The Cure at the bandstand in Crawley as I was working.

Seen Bombay Bicycle Club and Mark Kozelek in Brighton churches, although this seems to be becoming more usual.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Was anyone at those Arcade Fire gigs they did in London Churches before the release of Neon Bible? I remember trying to get tickets but not being successful...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Long Tall Texans busking in Worthing one Christmas in the mid-80s.

The story about the tiny stage/access to the loos reminds me of the Free Butt pub back in the day. I don't think I saw anyone famous there but it was apparently the smallest pub in the area to start with and then at the (not so) far end there was the 'stage' for the band right by the ladies' loos. It was always fun to watch the guitarists get the hump when being asked to move out the way so that people could use the loos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here