Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unreciprocated rivalry...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
...is always a bit sad, IMHO. Just look at those desperate turds from Leyton Orient, for example.

But - and sadly I doubt this being more widely known would change the behaviour of any of the Ingurland knuckle-dragging element one bit - I wasn't at all surprised to see a poll of German fans that a certain country - clue: they're managed by a Swede and will have a child up front - are by miles the most popular OTHER team that German fans want to do well this summer. England got 20%, no-one else (other than "no other team") got more than 10%.

It was only a poll of one club's fans but I don't see any reason at all why Munich 1860's fans shouldn't be typical. It's generally a bit of a one-way thing, this hatred - they like the atmos and passion that goes with England games. Sad but true.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
they like us as we are very similar to them. Their hooligans still want to fight us and vica versa though

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Nothing against the Germans, I just like to see most of our rivals do shit. Do have a soft spot for the Dutch though, total football, love an argument...

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Can't say I feel any animosity towards the Germans, I've not met a German who wasn't friendly. Only dislike there habit of nearly always beating us at football.

I would think our rivalry should be far more with either France (proximity) or Argentina (unfortunate recent history and tasty matches since).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If it's any consolation it's not very, er, ciprocated on my behalf anyway. I held a frustrated dislike of them due to their semi-final shoot-out wins and the fact that they kept winning games and tournaments without being very good. Plus the klinsman era team just weren't very lovable.

But, after we beat them in Euro 2000 and then humiliated them in the w.c qualifiers I can safely say they are an itch that has been thoroughly scratched...

Unless they fluke their way past us this summer:angry: :angry: :angry:

I think our rivalry with Germany is of the friendly variety (on the whole). I think very few English would claim to hate Germans, but most would enjoy taking the mickey. I think football without any sort of rivalry would be less interesting. I for one cannot wait to go over there. A beautiful country, friendly people with a genuine like of the British and bloody good beer. Won't stop me singing 10 German bombers though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
My (German) uncle's regard for British football and the atmos etc. is a bit overdone, to be honest. "Must be great over there, a brilliant atmosphere every game, singing all the time, just wish it was like that here" etc etc etc.

I don't think I should disillusion the poor sod by taking him to, say Reading (or, er, Withdean).

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Les Biehn said:
Nothing against the Germans, I just like to see most of our rivals do shit. Do have a soft spot for the Dutch though, total football, love an argument...

I hate the Dutch Leslie. I really do fecking hate them. Remember Ronnie Koemann?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well the germans hate the dutch and vice versa so i understand.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Well the germans hate the dutch and vice versa so i understand.

It's more the Dutch hating the Germans. Friendly rivalry it is not.
I think the Dutch celebrated almost as much as the English when we beat Germany 1 - 5.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Perry Milkins said:
I really don't like any oriental teams. Dunno why. Always fear that if there is a ruck all the flying kicks will come in.

Whooo-eeeee, you should see the state of Tokyo when they have the asian cup games and the chinese and koreans come over. It's like the rape of nanking...

except there's no raping. or killing. or violence. or disorder. some of them wear scarfs and replica shirts though. The bastards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here