Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

University v Course

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I went for brilliant University as it would look better on my CV. I had the chance to do theoretical physics at Queen Mary or Surrey which both had very very good professors and lecturers but instead opted for Imperial College.

In hindsight, I'd have liked to have gone to a uni which didn't take itself as seriously as Imperial, had more females and less nerds and I would NOT have done the degree that I did. I'd have done something like philosophy, politics or mathematics.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It doesn't make much difference at all. PWC in london recruited 7 people from University of Kent from my year this Summer - kent is about 35th in the country i think. It makes little difference. Im working for EY now, abroad and i went to Kent. As long as your A levels are decent, and you get a 2.1/first degree, and as long as you don't go to a former poly uni, then an average uni compared to a top 15 uni makes little difference - well thats the case for me and people at the uni i went to anyway.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm glad i'm not a youngster these days with all these university decisions to make! It was far easier in my day when you just chose your line of work, started at the bottom and learned your trade as you worked your way up through the grades. I might be a bit old fashioned on this but I still think it was the best way!

Well that's all quite dependent on what kind of work you want to go into isn't it?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Speaking as someone who has recruited graduates I would say that the university does matter, but not that much, it depends really on the subject. If for example you were to study engineering at a university renown for producing excellent engineers and obtained a decent degree then that would certainly stand in your favour. However, most employers will look beyond the quality of the degree at your character and consider the extra-curricular activities you were involved in...and I don't mean getting shedded every weekend and buiding up a large collection of road cones in your student digs.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Going to Sussex to do Economics. Chose the university as i wanted to stay in Sussex, and also to stay at home so my debt wouldn't be AS bad. Spoken like a true economist

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here