Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

United..

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Am i being ridiculous or is Fergie finally losing his marbles?
So they're signing Owen (although i doubt he'll pass a medical), who will play at most 10 games a season and probably has one or two seasons left.
Apparently their two main transfer targets are now Klaas Jan Huntelaar from Real Madrid and Emmanuel Adebayor from Arsenal.
???
Three very very average players, replacing two world class players in Ronaldo and Tevez.
Liverpool/Chelsea for the title?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Am i being ridiculous or is Fergie finally losing his marbles?
So they're signing Owen (although i doubt he'll pass a medical), who will play at most 10 games a season and probably has one or two seasons left.
Apparently their two main transfer targets are now Klaas Jan Huntelaar from Real Madrid and Emmanuel Adebayor from Arsenal.
???
Three very very average players, replacing two world class players in Ronaldo and Tevez.
Liverpool/Chelsea for the title?

:yahoo:thats the hope , ruddy marvellous

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Owen is a good signing, its supposedly a pay as you play deal so its not that bigger gamble, he is a proven goalscorer at premiership level and if he gets service he is absolutely lethal in front of goal.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I doubt there is much risk here. Owen doesn't need the money, so has probably put together a relatively cheap pay-per-play deal to Man Utd in the hope of resurrecting his England career in WC year. What better way than to play with Rooney week in week out.

From Fergies perspective, he's on a free, and if Owen is offering his services cut-price for the chance, and it's largely pay-per-play, then there is minimal risk for ManUre.

I was surprised at first, but thinking about it, it's quite a logical move .... unless Owen turns out to be on £100k a week that is!

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I think we have as much clue about who Fergie wants to sign as we do with Russell Slade. I don't get all the doommongering about them- indeed I expect them to continue to do well next season. I think they'll change from the strange formation they have been playing around Ronaldo to a straightforward 4-4-2. Even if they don't sign any more players, they can still play this side

GK: Van der Sar

Def: Vidic, Ferdinand then either the Da silva twins (I think) or Evra, O'Shea, Brown

Midfield: Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Nani, Anderson -the two highly rated serbians (think they're serbian anyway), park + probably reinforcement

Strikers: Rooney, Berbatov, Owen, Wellbeck, Macheda + probable reinforcement

Concidering they currently have that ^^ + 100ish mill to spend + arguably the best current manager in the world, I don't see why people are mocking them.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think we have as much clue about who Fergie wants to sign as we do with Russell Slade. I don't get all the doommongering about them- indeed I expect them to continue to do well next season. I think they'll change from the strange formation they have been playing around Ronaldo to a straightforward 4-4-2. Even if they don't sign any more players, they can still play this side

GK: Van der Sar

Def: Vidic, Ferdinand then either the Da silva twins (I think) or Evra, O'Shea, Brown

Midfield: Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Nani, Anderson -the two highly rated serbians (think they're serbian anyway), park + probably reinforcement

Strikers: Rooney, Berbatov, Owen, Wellbeck, Macheda + probable reinforcement

Concidering they currently have that ^^ + 100ish mill to spend + arguably the best current manager in the world, I don't see why people are mocking them.

Their squad looks so weak when you put it like that.
Mind you, it did to me last season :/
Agree that Fergie is the best manager in the world, maybe of all time, but he has made some questionable signings in the past..
Jesper Blomqvist, Eric Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Berbatov?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I doubt there is much risk here. Owen doesn't need the money, so has probably put together a relatively cheap pay-per-play deal to Man Utd in the hope of resurrecting his England career in WC year. What better way than to play with Rooney week in week out.

From Fergies perspective, he's on a free, and if Owen is offering his services cut-price for the chance, and it's largely pay-per-play, then there is minimal risk for ManUre.

I was surprised at first, but thinking about it, it's quite a logical move .... unless Owen turns out to be on £100k a week that is!

Think you'll find that Owen does need the money. He's spunk most of his fortune on his love of race horses and gambling. :nono:

Anyway, he is a goal scorer, something that Manure don't have so could be a master stroke from S'ralex.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
You think? I think their defence is one of the best in the league, Van der Sar is probably past it now- but it wouldn't suprise me if he was replaced. Up front they can score goals and there are a lot more players than i wrote there am just at work and having to type quick! :thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think if anyone has earned the right to sign whomsoever he chooses it would be Fergie. Personally I wouldn't sign Owen (purely on fitness grounds), but it may be a gamble worth taking if the financials are right. I don't like Adebeyor, but I am slightly biased against the Arse and he does bag his share of goals. I'd like to see more of Huntellar before I make my mind up, but I suspect Taggert may have seen him play once or twice.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Erm, yeah.

World Class Tevez
Started: 18
Sub: 11
Goals: 5
Assists: 3

Adebayor
Started: 21
Sub: 5
Goals: 10
Assists: 4

Huntelaar
started: 23
Sub: 7
Goals: 14
Assists: 2

But let me guess, Tevez does a lot more than just score goals and get assists, right?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Hunterlaar is a good finisher, a lot better than Berbatov. Owen, in my eyes, would be a good signing for United and he'll bag more than 15 goals per season for them.

The only downside is that Rooney will still be used on the left side and not in the centre where he is most effective, which would benefit England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here