glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
great watch..............................thats when United were a real team

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The blame for the crash was laid firmly at the door of Alan Hardaker.

Great drama. Sad, sad story. I would love to have seen the Busby Babes - and what a loss to the English game Duncan Edwards must have been.

According to the accident report although the plane was de-iced originally the snow accumulated on the wings again as the plane had to wait for the runway to be cleared of snow. It's a similar story to the Air Florida Boeing 737 that crashed into the Potomac River in Washington DC. No doubt haste to get both planes to their destinations was very much a factor.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Berbotov, Rooney, Nani etc should have watched it so they could appreciate what wankers they are.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I thought it was crap and very disappointing to be honest and not just because of the hilarious straight out of "Escape from Colditz" Germans in the hospital - the missus and I just burst out laughing when the Herr Flick-wannabe in the ward read out the list of players then coldly said..."DEAD", which presumably wasn't quite the intention. A story like that simply doesn't need laying on with a trowel: all that soppy music, everyone on the verge of crying all the time etc. And as has been said, I'm sure there must have been a harder edge to Matt Busby but I doubt was Alex Ferguson in a press conference either. Just cheesy really. Some nice period details though.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I thougt it was very good.

If that lad who played Charlton was once in Skins, what part did he play?

Also, following on from the crash and the makeshift team Utd had to put together, there were 2 who played in that Cup Final who later played their part s in Albion history.

Alex dawson was just 17 and I think he scored 2 in that 1st game v Sheff Weds. he joined us as a verteran and nobody who saw him will ever forget 'the Black prince' Also, Freddie Goodwin went on to a very good season and a half managing Albion before being poached away by a bigger club.

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
I thought it was pretty flawless apart from Dougray Scott's ludicrously OTT portrayal of Busby as Vito Corleone. Tennant was magnificent as were the lads who played Bobby Charlton and Duncan Edwards. The crash scene was incredibly harrowing. I hadn't appreciated that Edwards actually regained consciousness after the crash and before he died.

The Weller track at the end topped it off. Great stuff.

Great summary - spot on

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
now for something no one would ever expect me to say

I loved it

fantastically written and acted , I agree their interpretation of Busby was a little different to how fact portrays him but other then that really good

only negative was I felt that following the crash the "story" felt abit thin. although it was interesting to see how they coped with it ending on the crash would've been better , maybe with a little bit more about the "babes" themselves to keep it the same length, but I'm not a scriptwriter , just my opinion

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought it was crap and very disappointing to be honest and not just because of the hilarious straight out of "Escape from Colditz" Germans in the hospital - the missus and I just burst out laughing when the Herr Flick-wannabe in the ward read out the list of players then coldly said..."DEAD", which presumably wasn't quite the intention. A story like that simply doesn't need laying on with a trowel: all that soppy music, everyone on the verge of crying all the time etc. And as has been said, I'm sure there must have been a harder edge to Matt Busby but I doubt was Alex Ferguson in a press conference either. Just cheesy really. Some nice period details though.

I think you have been diverted by the stereotype German. It probably grates on your sensibility just as much as Tennant's ludicrous accent did on mine - but then we have our own particular experiences to draw on.

I thought the Busby portrayal was one of the more interesting parts actually (weird mafia clobber aside), he was a bit removed from the perceived reality, which I thought added some complexity.

Also, following on from the crash and the makeshift team Utd had to put together, there were 2 who played in that Cup Final who later played their part s in Albion history.

Alex dawson was just 17 and I think he scored 2 in that 1st game v Sheff Weds. he joined us as a verteran and nobody who saw him will ever forget 'the Black prince' Also, Freddie Goodwin went on to a very good season and a half managing Albion before being poached away by a bigger club.

Was the Sheffield Wednesday Wilkinson that we saw briefly mentioned in the programme, Howard (later of this parish)?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I thought it was fantastic. Very emotional from start to finish. The guy who played Bobby Charlton was fantastically acted, I'm sure Bobby would of been proud of that performance of him. That team was very special and if the crash never happened, who knew we could of won the World Cup in 1958.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In responce to the Wilkinson of Sheff Weds, far too early for our Howard, although he did come from Wednesday.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
Saw this last night and thought it was brilliant, I agree about Busby though, I thought he sounded more Italian than Scottish.
I thought Tennants Welsh accent was pretty good.
I even shed a few tears (not helped by the fact that I am pregnant) and saw hubby wipe his eye - well he is a Man U fan :annoyed:

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I had learned about it through Bob Charlton's recounting. He'd been pulled out of the wreckage by a team-mate while still strapped into his seat - and been assumed dead because he was unconscious. The bloke lugged him onto a pile of other stuff just to get as many people out as possible, and that's where he woke up if I remember rightly.

Some of the story might appear surreal because of the whole mess that it must have really been at the time.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009

If that lad who played Charlton was once in Skins, what part did he play?

I think Stan Crowther also played in the cup final against Bolton and then later played briefly for The Albion.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I had learned about it through Bob Charlton's recounting.

Me too, in fact Charlton's recounting of the accident and the aftermath in his autobiography is one of my favourite pieces of sports writing, very moving.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I enjoyed it. Apart from the Chalrton player in the tunnel after the game having just been beaten by the 'Busby Babes'

"You're just kids. How can you beat us like that ? You're just kids" :rolleyes:

Come on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here