Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Farcical goal in the final minute as Bruges break away down the field with the USG keeper stranded having gone up for the corner. Mitoma - on a yellow - brings his man down but other striker on hand to tap into empty net. Mitoma lucky not to see red.

USG have blown 5 points out of 6.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If I was a USG fan, I would be gutted, hardly a fair system is it.

It's probably a fairer (or shall we say, less unfair) system than our own play-off system though. At least their championship play-off system gives the teams who scored more points an advantage before the play-offs start.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It's probably a fairer (or shall we say, less unfair) system than our own play-off system though. At least their championship play-off system gives the teams who scored more points an advantage before the play-offs start.

As I can't be bothered to look it up myself, can I check something. Is this play-off system only to get into the champions league, or does it also decide who gets to be crowned 'champions of belgium'?

I see your point for the former, but not so much for the latter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As I can't be bothered to look it up myself, can I check something. Is this play-off system only to get into the champions league, or does it also decide who gets to be crowned 'champions of belgium'?

I see your point for the former, but not so much for the latter.

Champions of Belgium as well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Have Union still got a chance

Realistically need to beat Bruges away on Wednesday.
But in theory they can still be champions even if they lose as there will be 2 more games (Anderlect and Antwerp) for both USG and Bruges to play after that.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It is stupid really, in theory a team in 4th place, that got 14 points fewer in the regular season could end up league Champions. I get that it adds a bit of excitement, and a chance for teams other than Anderlecht and Brugge to maybe win something, but sheeesh.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It is stupid really, in theory a team in 4th place, that got 14 points fewer in the regular season could end up league Champions. I get that it adds a bit of excitement, and a chance for teams other than Anderlecht and Brugge to maybe win something, but sheeesh.

Yeah - it doesn't really make much sense, halving the advantage.

In the current situation Bruges could finish level on points, but win overall because USG have a "half point" rounded up.
But that is only a half point because the rules of the tournament, cut their advantage in half.

Bruges only have to make up 3 points to overcome a 5 pt gap.
Seems wrong.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
maybe a one off but Mitimo looked poor when he came on

Mitoma doesn't have that extra muscle that the likes of Trossard and March have both added in order to be competitive at Prem level. I cannot see him starting many games for the Albion in 2022/23, although because of the increase from 3 to 5 subs he should get regular game time from the bench.

USG don't play brilliant football through the middle of the park. It is a counter-attacking style based on getting the ball to the front two Undav and Vanzeir very quickly. Mitoma should thrive with Cucurella alongside him and Caicedo behind him.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
usg1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here