[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Through to the next round of the cup...

Reactions: cjd

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Yes but a reduced one due to UEFA? rules about ownership conflict as we’re both in Europa League - meanwhile other clubs with links to Saudi et al ……..
...is fine because Saudi aren't part of UEFA (yet).

Will be interesting to see the absolute zero action on ownership that takes place once Saudi clubs pay are invited to be part of UEFA club competitions.

Dec 29, 2011

Will be interesting to see the absolute zero action on ownership that takes place once Saudi clubs pay are invited to be part of UEFA club competitions.
He means the multiple clubs owned by Saudi interests. I.e Sheffield United and Newcastle

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The name UEFA will go, it will soon become the Soccer Union of Europe + the Middle East, or SUE-ME
I mean, if you can call a competition the Champions League, when you can get in it for finishing 5th having never got near winning anything ever I reckon you can extend the fiction that Saudi is in Europe. Especially as they already have Azerbaijan, Israel etc in the confederation

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

It has nothing to do with where the owners are based, it's because the clubs they own are UEFA affiliated.

Aston Villa's owners are American and Egyptian and they had to reduce their shares in Portuguese club Vitoria de Guimaraes so both could play in the Conference League this season (although Vitoria got knocked out in the 2nd Qualifying Round).

I'm not sure what other clubs the Saudi Public Investment Fund have a stake in but it will be interesting to see what happens should Newcastle and another club they've invested in both get into European competition in the future and what UEFA will do. They'd surely have to apply the same rules applied to us, USG, Villa etc or face legal action from those owners. The same applies to Man City who's owners have majority shareholdings in 4 other European clubs but none have qualified for European competition since being taken over as far as I can tell.

Genuine question - have UEFA been as tough on Red Bull as they were when Brighton managed to get a place in Europe?

They investigated the ownership of both Red Bull clubs and decieded the structures and shareholdings meant there was no conflict of interest.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Hmmm ....................!

But thanks for answering. :thumbsup:

I've added a link to the post that does qualify several structural changes were made before UEFA allowed both to compete in the Champions League. So they were treated in a similar way to how Tony Bloom was in regards to his USG ownership.

I originally thought that UEFA gave the ok without any structural changes I didn't realise some where made during UEFA's investigation into the two clubs to make sure they complied with the rules.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've added a link to the post that does qualify several structural changes were made before UEFA allowed both to compete in the Champions League. So they were treated in a similar way to how Tony Bloom was in regards to his USG ownership.

I originally thought that UEFA gave the ok without any structural changes I didn't realise some where made during UEFA's investigation into the two clubs to make sure they complied with the rules.
Good job you were quick enough to do it within the new time limit!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It’s just been reported on Sky News Sports that Premier League clubs are going to vote on banning loan moves between clubs within the same ownership structure.

It appears in the first instance the ban will just cover this coming January window, so it won’t affect us and USG as we’ve already got a ban in place for this season. But they are looking at a long term solution so we may have seen the last of players joining USG to get their work permit points.

Dec 29, 2011
It’s just been reported on Sky News Sports that Premier League clubs are going to vote on banning loan moves between clubs within the same ownership structure.

It appears in the first instance the ban will just cover this coming January window, so it won’t affect us and USG as we’ve already got a ban in place for this season. But they are looking at a long term solution so we may have seen the last of players joining USG to get their work permit points.
Annoying, but in the grand scheme of things probably good for the integrity of football.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

From what I’ve read in The Guardian it seems to be primarily designed to stop Newcastle getting loans from the four Saudi clubs that are also owned by PIF.
If so, it’s a good thing (although yet another reason to despise what the Saudis are doing with football).
Using Saudi clubs to buy up talent then loan them to Newcastle is obviously one very simple reason NUFC get round FFP rules. It seems the rest of the EPL have sussed that out.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
From what I’ve read in The Guardian it seems to be primarily designed to stop Newcastle getting loans from the four Saudi clubs that are also owned by PIF.
If so, it’s a good thing (although yet another reason to despise what the Saudis are doing with football).
Using Saudi clubs to buy up talent then loan them to Newcastle is obviously one very simple reason NUFC get round FFP rules. It seems the rest of the EPL have sussed that out.

Definitely right to do that in that respect but it’s a ball ache for clubs like us who are using it as part of a genuine player development strategy (not that aren’t a host of other clubs wanting our players) as well as for the work permit points. Although the changes coming to the work permit rules may mean we are less reliant on loan moves for that work permit points in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here