Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How’s Christian Burgess playing?

Interesting (relatively!) fact about him I found out from an agent who acted for him when he moved to USG.

When we were scouting Matt Clark at Pompey, Burgess was playing for Pompey alongside him. Burgess actually impressed our scouts more and his stats were better than Clark but Burgess was too old for us by that stage so we suggested him to USG and he’s now playing European football at 31 after a 10 year, journeyman lower league career.
A positively Steele-like renaissance then!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This question has probably been asked here before, but here goes anyway.

Now that we have a possibility of getting into Europe ourselves, how does it work if we end up playing USG at some point? Surely a conflict of interest with TB's involvement, no?

I don't really follow European football enough to know, but highly likely this ownership issue has come up before? It just seems wrong to me for owners to be involved in more than one club in the same football federation.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

Now that we have a possibility of getting into Europe ourselves, how does it work if we end up playing USG at some point? Surely a conflict of interest with TB's involvement, no?

I don't really follow European football enough to know, but highly likely this ownership issue has come up before? It just seems wrong to me for owners to be involved in more than one club in the same football federation.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

Tony owns a majority stake in RUSG but only holds voting power at between 25 and 49% so doesn't have majority voting power.

This essentially means there is no "conflict of interest" and both teams can compete.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Just seen Wirtz scored for Leverkusen - he is an outstanding young talent. Hope he doesn’t make the same mistake as Havertz who I also thought was a brilliant young player in Germany and leave Leverkusen for Chelsea.
Havertz probably my favourite modern non Brighton player. Absolutely huge talent wasted at Chelsea where he has been used out of position and in the wrong system constantly.

Wirtz is even better but had an awful injury last season putting him out for pretty much a year. He's really fun to watch and only 19 (for a month more).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Havertz probably my favourite modern non Brighton player. Absolutely huge talent wasted at Chelsea where he has been used out of position and in the wrong system constantly.

Wirtz is even better but had an awful injury last season putting him out for pretty much a year. He's really fun to watch and only 19 (for a month more).
Never rated Havertz here - but as you say doesn’t seem to be in correct position. Too lightweight for me.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Yeah that was a shocking injury. Hopefully he’ll stay injury free now and maintain the promise he’s shown as he’s a real talent.

It is painful watching Havertz play for Chelsea, he was amazing for Leverkusen, so talented and did some incredible things on the pitch for them for one so young, plus a likeable kid. Premier League only watchers just wouldn’t recognise him.

I remember when he signed for Chelsea telling my mates who didn’t watch Bundesliga that Chelsea had signed a superstar and he would take the Premier League by storm. Other than the Champions League final goal, it’s really not worked out for him though, as you say, largely because he’s been consistently played out of position.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for this :thumbsup:

I missed that thread, and so now having just read through page one, a lot of questions have now been answered already. Cheers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tony owns a majority stake in RUSG but only holds voting power at between 25 and 49% so doesn't have majority voting power.

This essentially means there is no "conflict of interest" and both teams can compete.
Thanks. I've now kindly been pointed to the relevant thread that answers lots of the questions, including answers like you've just given. Cheers :thumbsup:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Never rated Havertz here - but as you say doesn’t seem to be in correct position. Too lightweight for me.
His best play at Leverkusen was as a false 9 with the wingers running into space beyond him so he could playmake and have space or as a second striker behind Volland.

Don't think he's ever had that at Chelsea as he's been asked to be the main striker or one of the many similar players. Mount, Felix and a few others want to do the same thing he does so it doesn't work.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Yeah that was a shocking injury. Hopefully he’ll stay injury free now and maintain the promise he’s shown as he’s a real talent.

It is painful watching Havertz play for Chelsea, he was amazing for Leverkusen, so talented and did some incredible things on the pitch for them for one so young, plus a likeable kid. Premier League only watchers just wouldn’t recognise him.

I remember when he signed for Chelsea telling my mates who didn’t watch Bundesliga that Chelsea had signed a superstar and he would take the Premier League by storm. Other than the Champions League final goal, it’s really not worked out for him though, as you say, largely because he’s been consistently played out of position.
During the covid period where Volland was injured he was absolutely unplayable as a false 9 with the wingers running behind him. His movement and interplay was unbelievable for a player so young.

And I rate Wirtz even higher, absolute gem of a player.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not going so well for former RUSG player Dante Vanzeir…..

New York Red Bulls forward Dante Vanzeir has been suspended for six games by Major League Soccer for using a racist remark during Saturday's match against the San Jose Earthquakes.
Play was stopped for 15 minutes after a confrontation involving Vanzeir.
He issued an apology on Tuesday and it was later announced he would "step away" from the club until further notice to avoid "distractions".
The Belgian, 24, has also been handed an unspecified fine.
The league also stated that it would "require Vanzeir to participate in additional league-mandated training and education sessions, as well as a restorative practices programme."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here