Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Aren’t the rules that the result stands after about 60-70 mins? Shame if that’s the case.

Yes. Just a point in front of in form Bruges in the play-offs now. The chance of an extra point of they’d beaten Beerschot might come back to haunt them now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s not a bonus for 3rd place. They’ve beaten 4th-6th over the course of 46 games but don’t get the third promotion position. Even worse, they don’t even get to carry a fraction of their points into the playoffs but go into them having parity with 6th position.

It certainly didn’t feel like fun or a bonus when we got knocked out by Sheffield Wednesday, who’d finished 15 points behind us in the regular season.

I think you’re right

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It’s not a bonus for 3rd place. They’ve beaten 4th-6th over the course of 46 games but don’t get the third promotion position. Even worse, they don’t even get to carry a fraction of their points into the playoffs but go into them having parity with 6th position.

It certainly didn’t feel like fun or a bonus when we got knocked out by Sheffield Wednesday, who’d finished 15 points behind us in the regular season.

Since the intro of play-offs in this country were introduced the leagues where they apply have had more games with meaning towards the end of the season than they did before. Every team knows what's required at the end of the season so 3rd place finishers can have no complaints.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You could argue that is the case but then that goes for playoffs in the EFL divisions as well... and I quite enjoy those.

Not really. The champions (and the runners up) are automatically promoted.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
The points difference is halved for the playoffs.

It’s still 2 points as USG finished the regular season on 75 points and Club Brugge 72. Points are halved but rounded up for half points, so USG start the play offs on 38 points and Club Brugge on 36 points.

Edit unless of course the result of the final game is changed and USG would start the playoffs with a 3 point advantage.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s still 2 points as USG finished the regular season on 75 points and Club Brugge 72. Points are halved but rounded up for half points, so USG start the play offs on 38 points and Club Brugge on 36 points.

I thought points were rounded down initially but rounded up if teams finish on level points. Happy to be proved wrong on this.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Didn’t even look bad, you’d have thought the police could drive them back into the away end, didn't look like many playing up

Seen them in the 2nd division taking over a small town a few years back, absolute beer monsters who looked like they could create a bit if needed

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
USG will have a 2 point lead in the play-offs as it stands. This could go down to zero if they lose and Bruges win today (but their 0.5 would be added if they finish level on points with any other team) or up to 4 if they win and Bruges lose.

Good luck USG, especially to B]the 3 Albion stars[/B]!
Who probably won't be playing in the Champions League!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not really. The champions (and the runners up) are automatically promoted.

Of course its the same thing. You say the playoff is bad because USG deserve to win the league as they came first, but why doesnt the third team in EFL leagues deserve to be one of the three promoted if they came 3rd and another team came 6th?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Since the intro of play-offs in this country were introduced the leagues where they apply have had more games with meaning towards the end of the season than they did before. Every team knows what's required at the end of the season so 3rd place finishers can have no complaints.

You’re absolutely right, the English play off system does keep the season going for longer, in the same way that the title play off does in tbe Belgium first division. Everyone knows the rules from game one, so I don’t quite understand why so many people are getting their knickers in a twist over the fact that USG have only got the job half done in terms of wining the title.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Of course its the same thing. You say the playoff is bad because USG deserve to win the league as they came first, but why doesnt the third team in EFL leagues deserve to be one of the three promoted if they came 3rd and another team came 6th?

Yawn, do you really exist on this board just to pick arguments with people? Get a life.

Of course finishing TOP is not the same as finishing 4th or whatever. If you finish top, you should be champions. End of.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yawn, do you really exist on this board just to pick arguments with people? Get a life.

Of course finishing TOP and being CHAMPIONS is not the same as finishing 4th or whatever. If you finish top, you should be champions. End of.

Well I dont disagree that that is the way I prefer it to be (lots of Belgians also dont like the playoff thing) but getting 1st and not getting your reward and getting 3rd and not getting your reward seem pretty similar to me.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Of course finishing TOP is not the same as finishing 4th or whatever. If you finish top, you should be champions. End of.

I'm with you in spirit but that can be caveated. As silly as the rules are, everyone knows what they are in advance s you can 'plan'. A few years back in rugby they had a play off to determine the winners. Gloucester were top after the regular games but were not crowned champions. For a few years in BSB they have done a more complicated thing to keep a championship alive.

Interfering prats.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Clearly not end of, seeing as the Belgiums seem to think that a play off is a good way to decide their championship. No one has forced it on them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Of course its the same thing. You say the playoff is bad because USG deserve to win the league as they came first, but why doesn't the third team in EFL leagues deserve to be one of the three promoted if they came 3rd and another team came 6th?

Empty room fight by you.

I might be thick but usually you get something for coming top after paying everyone twice. It is nothing to do with promotion; Albion failed to get a trophy in 2017 and Newcastle did, if you recall.

The play-off system was introduced in order to avoid a load of meaningless matches towards the end of a season. There are good arguments for weighting the 3rd place team's chance more then simply playing the 6th pace side and having the 2nd leg semi at home (there was much debate on this on NSC in 2016 and PB even publicly weighed in the argument) but I am sure (and it is late and I cant be bothered to prove it) there is evidence that 3rd placed teams have the best chance of promotion.

There has always got to be a cut-off, else why doesn't the 20th team in Championship get promotion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here