[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But sponsorship goes through the roof for champions league

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

No doubt, but Premier League sponsorship is also huge as every game is televised worldwide. There’s no way that Bloom is going to weaken Brighton’s chances of consolidating PL status for the sake of 6 USG games in the UCL group stage.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Top 2 champions league, next 2 UEFA i'd guess. Belgian league wont get more than 2 CL places. does second place need a play off to get in?

The lines are effectively meaningless at this stage as are the current positions. Half their points carried forward and all to play for as it’s only after the play-off mini-league that European places will be allocated. It could all be turned on it’s head.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
None, because whilst reaching the Champions League group stage is lucrative, finishing 17th and staying in the Premier League is worth far more money. In fact I think that the CL winners will make just under US$ 100m, which is less than the TV money for bottom place in the PL.

But sponsorship goes through the roof for champions league

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

A Champions League place is worth more money for Premier League teams due to all PL teams being "better brands" than a team from a small league like Belgium.

Malmö FF made about £17-18m (200m kr) from playing in the Champions League last time around. No other club in Sweden has above £10m in their bank accounts, so any time Malmö qualifies for CL they make the kind of money that allows them to both grow their bank account as well as sign players no other club in Sweden could even get near.

In Belgium the "leap" will be a little less as some clubs are quite wealthy. But if USG qualify to CL and use the money wisely, they can be ahead of everyone except for the "big 5" on and off the pitch for a very long time.

I dont know how much USG pay in wages but a "big club" like Standard Liege are paying ca €15m per year and I dont think there's any chance USG are paying more than €10m, probably less than that. Qualifiying for the CL would by itself cover all wage costs for about two years... giving the club a lot of room to invest quite heavily in players, if required. Winning the league obviously makes the value of the team go up as well. Brighton paid £7m or something for Undav, Vanzeir is probably worth double that, Nieuwkoop was always considered a great talent in Holland and with the season he has had, PSV or Ajax would probably happily cash up £10m for him.

The future is very bright for this club. I dont think you can expect them to win the league every year... but if they qualify for Champions League, they have a very good chance of remaining a top team. Depending on fan base and what kind of stadium they manage to build, they can establish themselves as a "permanent" big team similar to Club Brugge and Anderlecht.

Will be very interesting to follow their journey. I really hope they win the league. It would be an achievement similar to Leicester winning the PL and Kaiserslautern winning the Bundesliga as newcomers in the 90s.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
None, because whilst reaching the Champions League group stage is lucrative, finishing 17th and staying in the Premier League is worth far more money. In fact I think that the CL winners will make just under US$ 100m, which is less than the TV money for bottom place in the PL.

Funny. When I ask a serious question on NSC I find I very rarely get a serious answer!

We're 9th at the moment, sitting very prettily despite losing two on the trot for the first time (I think) this season - but if we decide that 17th will be OK for next season rather than bothering about top ten (again?), we could probably supply them with two or three!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The lines are effectively meaningless at this stage as are the current positions. Half their points carried forward and all to play for as it’s only after the play-off mini-league that European places will be allocated. It could all be turned on it’s head.

So 2nd place in the end of season play off still goes into the UCL then? USG would have to seriously make a mess of things to finish 3rd with the points lead that they’re likely to carry into the end-of-season playoffs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
So 2nd place in the end of season play off still goes into the UCL then? USG would have to seriously make a mess of things to finish 3rd with the points lead that they’re likely to carry into the end-of-season playoffs.

Winners of the play offs get a spot in the CL group stage, 2nd gets a place in the CL third qualifying round. 3rd go to the Europa League play off round and 4th the Conference League third qualifying round.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Vanzeir got a 5 match ban for his red card, so back for play offs. Might mean that Mitouma and Kozlowskii get a bit more game time.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
That is ludicrous. Looked like he hardly touched him and the defender milked the life out of it.

At least he'll be fresh I suppose.

It really is, the contact was so minimal I had to watch it through twice just to see if he actually touched him!

Embarrassing from the defender! Imagine your mates watching that, you'd get roasted to no end!

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Away to Kortrijk tonight. 1-1 after 20 mins and live on Mola.

Undav back from suspension. Mitouma and Kozłowski on the bench.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
849530da9f5be7eb8029c9c4dcacbca3.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here