Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

uni results, data protection

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
just rang my uni in soton for my results of some resit thingys and not surprisingly they said they could not read them to me due to the data protection act, but they will send.

i then asked whether i could be sent it by email instead and she said no.

maybe im missing something but whats the difference? more chance it getting lost through post, and i want to know NOW:angry:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
They post mine online. I need to enter my password to view them but still can't see how that is much better than reading them over the phone

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
So how come the Data Protection Act doesn't apply when they post all the end of year results on the noticeboards? It's not very fair on the divvy ones either.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We only post results on boards with students numbers next to them, never names. We also do not send out results by email.

You have to be aware that the Data Protection Act ties admin staff down to the point where if they break it they are personally liable.

You cannot do it over the phone because you cannot be sure that whoever is phoning actually is who they say they are. Also you don't want some student crying down the phone at you.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
We only post results on boards with students numbers next to them, never names. We also do not send out results by email.

You have to be aware that the Data Protection Act ties admin staff down to the point where if they break it they are personally liable.

You cannot do it over the phone because you cannot be sure that whoever is phoning actually is who they say they are. Also you don't want some student crying down the phone at you.

Wheres that then?

I went to Sussex (graduated 2005) and they always posted the end of year results on the department noticeboard. They also let you pick up your mates assignments with the marks written on the front. They weren't very data protectitative.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Rangdo said:
Wheres that then?

I went to Sussex (graduated 2005) and they always posted the end of year results on the department noticeboard. They also let you pick up your mates assignments with the marks written on the front. They weren't very data protectitative.

Doesn't sound like they were.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Rangdo said:
Wheres that then?

I've picked up loads of my mate's work and they've all had their marks in big letters on the front. Inever needed to sign anything for them either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here