Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Undisclosed fees

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When Newcastle signed Alan Shearer for £15M it completely f***ed Blackburn Rovers in the following seasons.

They were going to clubs making offers for players and having MAD prices thrown back at them as everyone knew they had a bit of dosh.

I would LIKE to know the fees involved but to be fair the media are normally quite close anyway as SOMEONE always knows something.

But as a fan who wants my team in the strongest position I don't feel I have any right to know. I don't want to weaken my clubs negotiations stance purely out of curiosity.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
When Newcastle signed Alan Shearer for £15M it completely f***ed Blackburn Rovers in the following seasons.

They were going to clubs making offers for players and having MAD prices thrown back at them as everyone knew they had a bit of dosh.

I would LIKE to know the fees involved but to be fair the media are normally quite close anyway as SOMEONE always knows something.

But as a fan who wants my team in the strongest position I don't feel I have any right to know. I don't want to weaken my clubs negotiations stance purely out of curiosity.

I really dont think this is the major issue here, although I am not sure of the benefits of an 'undisclosed fee' so maybe that is the mindset of those that decide.

Players, agents, chairmen CEO's know most clubs circumstances anyhow and ultimately they will sell or buy based on what their own financial position might be and what the market dictates at that time.

Maybe they would prefer not to put any added pressure on a new player when a sizeable fee is involved, but even that suggests that 'undisclosed fee's' are always on the high side ................. ooohh I dont know !!!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
If clubs could get away with not telling anyone transfer fees for any deals, I am sure they would. Trouble is there are so many "insiders" who will leak info and at times it's just best to release the correct details. I don't know the stats but I would guess lower league (by that I mean Championship and below) transfers make up the vast majority of undisclosed transfers due to the less interest and media attention the deals get

Because I'm nosy, because it's 'our' money being spent, to know if a club is 'doing a pompey', to see if a club has overpaid for a player (in my opinion), to do a comparison between players X and Y, to know about things like sell on fees, why not?

Just one point about the above, It's NOT our money, we have exchanged our money for goods and services supplied by BHA, at the point you do this it becomes Their money.

But like you I am nosey and would like to know.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We didn't need to know the stadium cost £100m, we don't need to know that the training ground is costing £15m, but it allows us to get some perspective of value.

If the stadium was a mecanno copy, we would all be asking where the money went.

As for the suggestion that I should put my bank statements on here, my financial wellbeing (or lack of it), has no impact to anyone on here, unlike the football club. If the club overspends it budget there is potential for 10 point deduction and relegation. If I overspend then I eat only cold beans for the next week, no one here cares.

NSC is always beating Pompey and Palace fans with the stick that they did nothing to stop their clubs overspending, if we do not know what the club is spending how can we question it?

If I bought a new car and when I got home the missus asked how much it cost and my response was "undisclosed" she wouldn't be chuffed.

I can easily find out the selling price of any house near where I live, that has nothing to do with me, is a transaction between two parties I know nothing about, yet it is in the public domain.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We didn't need to know the stadium cost £100m, we don't need to know that the training ground is costing £15m, but it allows us to get some perspective of value.

As for the suggestion that I should put my bank statements on here, my financial wellbeing (or lack of it), has no impact to anyone on here, unlike the football club. If the club overspends it budget there is potential for 10 point deduction and relegation. If I overspend then I eat only cold beans for the next week, no one here cares.

NSC is always beating Pompey and Palace fans with the stick that they did nothing to stop their clubs overspending, if we do not know what the club is spending how can we question it?

If I bought a new car and when I got home the missus asked how much it cost and my response was "undisclosed" she wouldn't be chuffed.

I can easily find out the selling price of any house near where I live, that has nothing to do with me, is a transaction between two parties I know nothing about, yet it is in the public domain.

The examples you're putting up don't match up at all; it's like you're comparing apples and oranges.

If you bought a car, (without getting into the intimacies of your relationship), I would suspect your wife has a right to know what you paid for it - it could well have a direct effect on her.

If a house price is in the public domain, it's because those people CHOOSE to put it in the public domain. It's also sound business on the part of the estate agent to do so, to give someone an idea how much they could get for THEIR house.

You on the other hand, do not run a football club. You don't have shares in the football club. If they choose to give you details, that's their business. You do not have the automatic right to know.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
but its go nothing to do with you i think comparing it to a gift.

the player is a gift to our club from the chairman!

you would not get a gift and ask how much it costs to get a value for the item would you?

If you were a share holder then yes you would have a right to know. However, as we are only customers, then we do not have the right to know.
Do you go into Dixons & ask them how much the camera that they are selling cost them?

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
If you were a share holder then yes you would have a right to know. However, as we are only customers, then we do not have the right to know.
Do you go into Dixons & ask them how much the camera that they are selling cost them?

Using that simple logic and letter of the law:
Brighton fans had no right, and quite right so, to know that the Goldstone being sold, or the price. We are ONLY customers. Just as if the local shop closes down, none of our businss.
Agreed?

Or:
Football fans are more than that, the club is more than the current passing shareholders .... and football fans as key stakeholders in a club, and should be informed of key figures.
If Bennett is sold for £0.5m or £2m, what commercial harm does that do Norwich or the Albion, if we are told?
And it's pin prick out of the total Amex cost and new club turnover, so will hardly cause Newcastle or LuaLua to demand more cash, for example.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or:

And it's pin prick out of the total Amex cost and new club turnover, so will hardly cause Newcastle or LuaLua to demand more cash, for example.

It is afair possibility that Newcastle would look at it and say they have sold a player for £2m so we want 75% for them to have our man to replace him. They know that if we want him bad enough we will pay it as we have it. That could make them dig in deeper.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
It is afair possibility that Newcastle would look at it and say they have sold a player for £2m so we want 75% for them to have our man to replace him. They know that if we want him bad enough we will pay it as we have it. That could make them dig in deeper.

On the subject of privacy, do you trust the fees pronounced for Bebe £7.4m, Berbatov £30.8m & Anderson £16m?

There's something strange going on there. Surely a club wouldn't want to publicise being ripped-off like that?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The examples you're putting up don't match up at all; it's like you're comparing apples and oranges.

If you bought a car, (without getting into the intimacies of your relationship), I would suspect your wife has a right to know what you paid for it - it could well have a direct effect on her.

If a house price is in the public domain, it's because those people CHOOSE to put it in the public domain. It's also sound business on the part of the estate agent to do so, to give someone an idea how much they could get for THEIR house.

You on the other hand, do not run a football club. You don't have shares in the football club. If they choose to give you details, that's their business. You do not have the automatic right to know.

Research your facts next time.
Individual and accurate paid house prices covering the last 11 years or so are freely available from the government's LandRegistry.
Use of the word CHOOSE is wholly inaccurate. It's mandatory and the law.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Research your facts next time.
Individual and accurate paid house prices covering the last 11 years or so are freely available from the government's LandRegistry.
Use of the word CHOOSE is wholly inaccurate. It's mandatory and the law.

Fine, but my point still stands.

You have no right to know the transfer fee between two clubs. If they tell you, it's because they choose to.

It's really not a difficult concept to understand.

D

Deleted User X18H

QUOTE]

Rubbish it's called the Land Registry. And are transfer fee's not likely to show up on the clubs (a business) end of year accounts?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You have no right to know the transfer fee between two clubs. If they tell you, it's because they choose to.

It's really not a difficult concept to understand.

No the concept isn't difficult, that at the moment clubs have no obligation to tell it's supporters how much they paid and received for a player.

My point is that I feel there should be more transparency in the game and all transfer fees should be disclosed. I.E. the rules should be changed by the authorities for it to happen.

I think the club may say how it has done in terms of transfers, but I don't think they would do a breakdown of how much was spent on each individual.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
No the concept isn't difficult, that at the moment clubs have no obligation to tell it's supporters how much they paid and received for a player.

My point is that I feel there should be more transparency in the game and all transfer fees should be disclosed. I.E. the rules should be changed by the authorities for it to happen.

I think the club may say how it has done in terms of transfers, but I don't think they would do a breakdown of how much was spent on each individual.

The directors reports within financial statements for clubs normally state info such as £__ was spent on acquiring then the players names so you see the aggregate cost for 12 months. This also appears in the line intangible fixed asset cost of additions in the year.
:amex::smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here