Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Undercover care: The abuse exsposed.

Anybody who ever had any doubts about whether Auschwitz or Srebrenica could ever happen here, should be made to watch that film. The capacity for treating fellow human beings like animals is alive and well in living in a leafy suburb near you. Wouldn't take much.

Not so sure about the Auschwitz or Srebrenica connection but you are 100% RIGHT about so called human beings being able to act in this way. The mixture of emotions I felt watching the programme ranged from disbelief, anger and massive sorrow / sympathy for the victims.

Having taken various courses in child protection it is always made clear that one of the most vulnerable groups are the 'disabled' and that programme made it crystal clear why. The victims just can't defend themselves and if they do they get treated even worse. The shocking thing was that not only had the management been made aware by a former staff member but the regulatory authority completely ignored the allegations.

IMHO all the victims and their families should receive serious compensation, the company running the home should lose its license, the staff involved should do serious time, their families should be made to watch the programme and share the pain that was inflicted and the government need to take a very careful look at how private companies are regulated and monitored to try to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Sadly and going back to your original point, it probably already is because every town, city and country has people like those who are sadistic bullies who don't give a shit.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I started watching this last night feeling like a voyeur and disgusted with the BBC that they chose to make television of this. And then they stated that the whistleblower had reported this to the authorities and was ignored.

After that I came to realise just how powerful and important a free media is in this country that they can investigate and expose situations like this. Hopefully this will be one of those game changing circumatances where real long term positive improvements follow.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
This was without doubt one if the saddest things ever to be broadcast. It is terrifying that Scum like this are the same human race as the rest of us, and anyone who wasn't moved by watching Simone's parents in that clip is almost as worrying as the thugs who carried out the assaults

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Unfortunately I don't reckon this is an isolated case and there are many who want to threaten and attack vulnerable people in such situations. I read an article which outlined how Simone had told her parents how badly she was beingtreated and they told her not to be silly because such things would not be allowed. I hope those responsible get what is coming to them.

Unfortunately I don't reckon this is an isolated case
Hopefully the extreme abuse shown in the programme is relatively rare. But low level abuse is very widespread indeed. As an NSC moderator, I still find myself having to intervene to deal with phrases like "mong", which reveal just how casually some people can show disrespect for people with disabilties.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Society can be judgemental about the mentally ill or those with disability and I agree low level abuse is very widespread. The sad thing is that families trust people in what are grandly described as caring organisations to do just that, care for their loved ones, but there appears to be little respect in this type of care despite the extortionate amount of money charged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here