Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw The Ringer the other night.

Johnny Knoxsville (of JACKASS fame) stars as a guy who pretends to be mentally retarded so he can enter the Special Olympics and win loads of cash. Mildly amusing in places, and the downs syndrome actors put in some good performances (not sure how they got retards to act so well actually). Bit of a dodgy subject field obviously, but I quite enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The new superman film is meant to be the dogs bollocks

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I've never been a fan of superman - all a bit one dimensional all american hero for me. A comic book hero for republicans. I always prefered Batman and Spiderman.

had a bit of a comic book weekend Fantastic Four on dvd and X Men 3 at cinema ( in Crawley - which is so much better than Brightons cinemas)

Fantastic 4 was ok 5/10, passed the time. X-Men I enjoyed more, liked the casting of Frasier as the blue guy but not as good as the first two imo 6.5/10.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Superman Returns (2006)
Directed by
Bryan Singer

Writing credits (WGA)
Michael Dougherty (screenplay) &
Dan Harris (screenplay) ...

Genre: Action / Adventure / Fantasy / Sci-Fi (more)

Plot Outline: After a long visit to the lost remains of the planet Krypton, the Man of Steel returns to earth to become the peoples savior once again and reclaim the love of Lois Lane. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: In the 28 known galaxies, there is no better film (more)

User Rating: awaiting 5 votes.

Credited cast:
Brandon Routh .... Superman/Clark Kent
Kevin Spacey .... Lex Luthor
Kate Bosworth .... Lois Lane
James Marsden .... Richard White
Frank Langella .... Perry White
Sam Huntington .... Jimmy Olsen
Eva Marie Saint .... Martha Kent
Parker Posey .... Kitty Koslowski
Kal Penn .... Stanford
Stephan Bender .... Young Clark Kent
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Marlon Brando .... Jor-El (archive footage)
David Fabrizio .... Brutus
Rob Flanagan .... Bank Robber/Gattling Gunman
John Ghaly .... Metropolis Police Officer
Ashraf Ghebranious .... Deli Owner
Raelee Hill .... Paramedic
Adrian Jarrett .... Deli Robber
James Karen .... Ben Hubbard
Jack Larson .... Bibbo
Mirren Lee .... Daughter of Gertrude Vanderworth
Mike Massa .... 777 Pilot
Ted Maynard .... News Anchor
Noel Neill .... Gertrude Vanderworth
Ian Roberts .... Riley
Jennifer Sciole .... Paramedic
Paul Shedlowich .... News Anchor
Vincent Stone .... Grant
Jeff Truman .... Gil
Peta Wilson .... Bobbie Faye
Warwick Young .... 777 Co-Pilot
(more)

Trivia: While the project was under Brett Ratner's supervision, actors Josh Hartnett, Paul Walker, Matthew Bomer, Brendan Fraser, Ashton Kutcher, David Boreanaz, Ian Somerhalder, Henry Cavill and Jerry O'Connell were considered for the part of Superman. Brett Ratner left the project primarily because he and Warner Bros. executives could not agree on whom to cast as Superman. (more)

Quotes:
[From Trailer]
Perry White: What do you got Olsen?
Jimmy Olsen: Look, in the sky, Chief.
Lois Lane: It's a bird.
Perry White: It's a plane
Jimmy Olsen: No, look it's...
Clark Kent: Uh, you wanted to see me?
(more)

SUPERMAN...

User Comments:

In the 28 known galaxies, there is no better film, 18 June 2006

Author: davidsimmons from United States

I just caught a screener and am so blown away. The original came out when I was 6, so I have been a fanatic most of my life. I don't think the legacy of Superman has yet to leave any small boy unimpressed and forever moved to tell the truth, seek justice, and well, you know the rest.

I will tell NOTHING of the story. It would rob you of everything good. Besides, I don't think there is anything I could write to make you not go see it. I just have to say that my hat is off to Bryan Singer for making so many important right choices. Sticking with the original John Williams score and having Ottman build from it, the re-working of Brando's archive footage, and most of all, the casting of Brandon Routh makes this such an amazingly familiar bridge from the 80's films with all thew wonder of what can be done with film today. All of the components that are necessary to accommodate your past feelings and emotions bridging them forward to this movie are present and in tact. Great job!!!! Let me say that I was on the fence about Routh from all of the trailers I had seen. I was so thankful that it was not Nicholas Cage donning the blue suit poised to ruin my childhood hero, but I wanted what seemed impossible, I wanted Christopher Reeve back in his prime heroic form. The trailers give no hint of the amazing performance that Brandon Routh has turned in. There are moments that just gutshot you right into Reeve's performances. The half cocked smile, the timbre of his voice, the Clark Kent mannerisms perfected by Reeve are echoed here in Routh's delivery as both an homage and as a great device to tie the past generation into this new ability to tell a story with all of the technology at hand.

A big Kudos must go to Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey who are awesome as Lex and Kitty. Not too much humor, but some, not too much banter, but enough, and all of the evil you need to see in order to make him truly the enemy of Superman. Perfection! I know it'd be easier to enjoy if I just told you it sucked completely and didn't try to build it up to something you may not think it is, but I have no doubt about it. The story itself is too rich and wonderful and the trailers give away nothing of what's in store for you. There is no way to be disappointed. Take it from me. 10.0

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Superman Returns (2006)
Directed by
Bryan Singer

Writing credits (WGA)
Michael Dougherty (screenplay) &
Dan Harris (screenplay) ...

Genre: Action / Adventure / Fantasy / Sci-Fi (more)

Plot Outline: After a long visit to the lost remains of the planet Krypton, the Man of Steel returns to earth to become the peoples savior once again and reclaim the love of Lois Lane. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: In the 28 known galaxies, there is no better film (more)

User Rating: awaiting 5 votes.

Credited cast:
Brandon Routh .... Superman/Clark Kent
Kevin Spacey .... Lex Luthor
Kate Bosworth .... Lois Lane
James Marsden .... Richard White
Frank Langella .... Perry White
Sam Huntington .... Jimmy Olsen
Eva Marie Saint .... Martha Kent
Parker Posey .... Kitty Koslowski
Kal Penn .... Stanford
Stephan Bender .... Young Clark Kent
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Marlon Brando .... Jor-El (archive footage)
David Fabrizio .... Brutus
Rob Flanagan .... Bank Robber/Gattling Gunman
John Ghaly .... Metropolis Police Officer
Ashraf Ghebranious .... Deli Owner
Raelee Hill .... Paramedic
Adrian Jarrett .... Deli Robber
James Karen .... Ben Hubbard
Jack Larson .... Bibbo
Mirren Lee .... Daughter of Gertrude Vanderworth
Mike Massa .... 777 Pilot
Ted Maynard .... News Anchor
Noel Neill .... Gertrude Vanderworth
Ian Roberts .... Riley
Jennifer Sciole .... Paramedic
Paul Shedlowich .... News Anchor
Vincent Stone .... Grant
Jeff Truman .... Gil
Peta Wilson .... Bobbie Faye
Warwick Young .... 777 Co-Pilot
(more)

Trivia: While the project was under Brett Ratner's supervision, actors Josh Hartnett, Paul Walker, Matthew Bomer, Brendan Fraser, Ashton Kutcher, David Boreanaz, Ian Somerhalder, Henry Cavill and Jerry O'Connell were considered for the part of Superman. Brett Ratner left the project primarily because he and Warner Bros. executives could not agree on whom to cast as Superman. (more)

Quotes:
[From Trailer]
Perry White: What do you got Olsen?
Jimmy Olsen: Look, in the sky, Chief.
Lois Lane: It's a bird.
Perry White: It's a plane
Jimmy Olsen: No, look it's...
Clark Kent: Uh, you wanted to see me?
(more)

SUPERMAN...

User Comments:

In the 28 known galaxies, there is no better film, 18 June 2006

Author: davidsimmons from United States

I just caught a screener and am so blown away. The original came out when I was 6, so I have been a fanatic most of my life. I don't think the legacy of Superman has yet to leave any small boy unimpressed and forever moved to tell the truth, seek justice, and well, you know the rest.

I will tell NOTHING of the story. It would rob you of everything good. Besides, I don't think there is anything I could write to make you not go see it. I just have to say that my hat is off to Bryan Singer for making so many important right choices. Sticking with the original John Williams score and having Ottman build from it, the re-working of Brando's archive footage, and most of all, the casting of Brandon Routh makes this such an amazingly familiar bridge from the 80's films with all thew wonder of what can be done with film today. All of the components that are necessary to accommodate your past feelings and emotions bridging them forward to this movie are present and in tact. Great job!!!! Let me say that I was on the fence about Routh from all of the trailers I had seen. I was so thankful that it was not Nicholas Cage donning the blue suit poised to ruin my childhood hero, but I wanted what seemed impossible, I wanted Christopher Reeve back in his prime heroic form. The trailers give no hint of the amazing performance that Brandon Routh has turned in. There are moments that just gutshot you right into Reeve's performances. The half cocked smile, the timbre of his voice, the Clark Kent mannerisms perfected by Reeve are echoed here in Routh's delivery as both an homage and as a great device to tie the past generation into this new ability to tell a story with all of the technology at hand.

A big Kudos must go to Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey who are awesome as Lex and Kitty. Not too much humor, but some, not too much banter, but enough, and all of the evil you need to see in order to make him truly the enemy of Superman. Perfection! I know it'd be easier to enjoy if I just told you it sucked completely and didn't try to build it up to something you may not think it is, but I have no doubt about it. The story itself is too rich and wonderful and the trailers give away nothing of what's in store for you. There is no way to be disappointed. Take it from me. 10.0

Nothing like some fanboys review to get the juices flowing, or put you off. I have no interest in seeing this film, I think Bryan Singer is quality but Superman is boring.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The critics reviews have been superb as well.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

You'll like this website Les, lots of slagging off , of films, especially Spielberg's no doubt.

Rottentomatoes is pretty shit, too many American reviews. I slag films off that are shit, if there were more good films I wouldn't have to slag them off.

For reviews I used to get Empire, Total film and Sight & Sound occasionally but now usually only get the Guardian on a Friday. Peter Bradshaw is a shit reviewer but I can usually get a good idea of what films are out and what they are gonna be like.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle Spielberg's film recommendation this week

An excellent little horror film, inventive, interesting and well worth a look.

Cube (1997)
Directed by
Vincenzo Natali

Genre: Drama / Horror / Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller (more)

Tagline: Fear... Paranoia... Suspicion... Desperation (more)

Plot Outline: 7 complete strangers of widely varying personality characteristics are involuntarily placed in an endless kafkaesque maze containing deadly traps. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: One of the most original sci-fi films of the last decade (more)

User Rating: 7.5/10 (21,373 votes)

Complete credited cast:
Nicole de Boer .... Joan Leaven - The Math Student
Nicky Guadagni .... Helen Holloway - The Doctor
David Hewlett .... David Worth - The Architect
Andrew Miller .... Kazan - The Autistic Man
Julian Richings .... Alderson - The First Victim
Wayne Robson .... Rennes - The Fugitive
Maurice Dean Wint .... Quentin - The Cop

Trivia: The handles on all the hatches are industrial die holders used for cutting threads on rods and available in any hardware shop. (more)

Quotes:
Quentin: Somebody has to take responsibility around here.
Worth: And that somebody has to be you?
Quentin: Not all of us have the luxury of playing nihilist.
Worth: Not all of us are conceited enough to play hero.
(more)

Awards: 13 wins & 6 nominations (more)

CUBE

User Comments:

One of the most original sci-fi films of the last decade, 2 July 2000

Author: hippiedj from Palm Springs, California

If you were to think about what situation would terrify you the most, Cube would be the ultimate challenge. In a way, it is a predecessor to TV's "Survivor" in which the people each have a skill that can help them survive and possibly get them out. It all comes down to human emotions and confrontations that get in the way of progress. It's a talky film, but that's the point-- figuring situations and dealing with different personalities is inevitable to any group. The solving of problems becomes very complex, but the viewer doesn't have to worry...let the characters figure it out as we go along for the ride. While so many sci-fi films want to wow you with effects, this film does something more challenging--it makes you think. With its limited budget and digital effects in use even before Titanic glorified them, Cube still proves itself as one of the more original and intelligent sci-fi films of the last decade, with a cult status already going strong. It is truly a nail-biter.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Les Biehn said:
I have no interest in seeing this film, I think Bryan Singer is quality but Superman is boring.

I have to agree there. Even with Bryan Singer directing I find it very difficult to get worked up about some effeminate bloke in red underpants.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
'Superman' Gets Stamp of Approval From Critics

The first Superman film in nearly 20 years, Superman Returns, has received rave reviews from America's leading movie critics. Superman Returns stars Brandon Routh as the Man Of Steel, Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, and Kevin Spacey as villain Lex Luthor. Trade paper Variety praised director Bryan Singer's film as "grandly conceived, sensitively drawn and never self-consciously hip. It is sincere, with an artistic elegance and a genuine emotional investment in the material." Writing in Newsweek, critic David Ansen writes: "From the start of this gorgeously crafted epic, you can feel that Singer has real love and respect for the most foursquare comics superhero of them all." The Hollywood Reporter says Superman Returns is "a heartfelt Superman movie that plays to a broad audience." Writing on influential website Ain't It Cool News, Harry Knowles writes: "Just as Batman Begins relaunched an ailing Batman, it sends Superman into the stratosphere." Superman Returns, the first Man Of Steel movie since 1987's Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, opens in the US on June 28.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
'Superman' Gets Stamp of Approval From Critics

The first Superman film in nearly 20 years, Superman Returns, has received rave reviews from America's leading movie critics. Superman Returns stars Brandon Routh as the Man Of Steel, Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, and Kevin Spacey as villain Lex Luthor. Trade paper Variety praised director Bryan Singer's film as "grandly conceived, sensitively drawn and never self-consciously hip. It is sincere, with an artistic elegance and a genuine emotional investment in the material." Writing in Newsweek, critic David Ansen writes: "From the start of this gorgeously crafted epic, you can feel that Singer has real love and respect for the most foursquare comics superhero of them all." The Hollywood Reporter says Superman Returns is "a heartfelt Superman movie that plays to a broad audience." Writing on influential website Ain't It Cool News, Harry Knowles writes: "Just as Batman Begins relaunched an ailing Batman, it sends Superman into the stratosphere." Superman Returns, the first Man Of Steel movie since 1987's Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, opens in the US on June 28.

But the Americans are bound to love it, working their patriotic shafts up to a seedless orgasm.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You really are a cynical old bastard arn't you Les ???

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Les Biehn said:
Rottentomatoes is pretty shit, too many American reviews. I slag films off that are shit, if there were more good films I wouldn't have to slag them off.

For reviews I used to get Empire, Total film and Sight & Sound occasionally but now usually only get the Guardian on a Friday. Peter Bradshaw is a shit reviewer but I can usually get a good idea of what films are out and what they are gonna be like.

RT can be good to get a concensus opinion. And generally anything that gets below 40% is a good warning sign that it shouldn't be touched with a bargepole (the Da vinci Code scored 24%, for example).

Empire's reviewing capability has gone drastically downhill in recent years. It used to be reliable (except in a few notable cases - I remember they gave Interview with the Vampire 5 stars). But nowadays they must be getting sponsored by the big production companies as they just spend their whole time slavering over forthcoming "event" movies just like all the other film comics, proclaiming them as "brilliant" and "unmisable" months before the damn things are even finished, let alone released. Hardly informed journalism...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
When does one ever get to watch films during a world cup, unless you're fortunate enough to be on the dole?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This film looks truely repulsive doing the seemingly impossible of making people feel sorry for Paedophiles. A cheap shot only appealing to sicko's who want to see a bloke have his nuts cut off without anaesthetic.

Hard Candy (2005)
Directed by
David Slade

Genre: Drama / Thriller (more)

Plot Outline: A mature 14-year old girl meets a charming 32-year old photographer on the Internet. Suspecting that he is a pedophile, she goes to his home in an attempt to expose him. (view trailer)

User Rating: 7.3/10 (1,356 votes)

Credited cast:
Patrick Wilson .... Jeff Kohlver
Ellen Page .... Hayley Stark
Sandra Oh .... Judy Tokuda
Odessa Rae .... Janelle Rogers
Gilbert John .... Nighthawks Clerk

Awards: 2 wins & 2 nominations (more)

HARD CANDY

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Comments:

Wow, 31 January 2006
Author: johno-21 from United States

I saw this at a late night screening at the Palm Springs International Film Festival and of the 35 films I saw there I would rank this #4. for about the first 10 minutes I didn't know if I was going to like it or where it was going to go but man once this roller-coaster starts moving it's a psychological thriller. Great stylized look to this film too. The acting and story is intense and you can't avert your eyes from the screen even though there are times where you think you might have to. I like movies that have the feel of a stage play and the emotional volleyball between the two principal actors is amazing. A little far-fetched but so what. This is a good movie. I give it a 8.5 out of a possible 10 and would recommend this film.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
You really are a cynical old bastard arn't you Les ???

err..not really, I just like good films and am a bit of a realist.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Les

What are your 5 best films ???

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Les

What are your 5 best films ???

Memento
Cement Garden
Narc
Donnie Darko
La Haine/Last Resort/Buffalo Soldiers/Rules of Attraction/Usual Suspects etc...

Those 4 are definately my top 4 though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here