Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable post on TWTD

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The thing that makes it so incredulous is the hypocrisy.

They are protesting about our new stadium, funded not by debt but by a fan, after we had our very existence destroyed by an asset stripper, after we were subjected to 13 years as hobo's through no fault of our fans, and playing in a shit hole. All the while Ipswich had the benefit of a decent ground and revenue stream whilst we were hamstrung by circumstances beyond our control.

Move forward to this year and our policy has been in big part to give a chance to those league 1 players that got us here, to add some other promising and hungry league 1 players in CMS, Harley, Vincelot, Hoskins and by all accounts to pay them modestly by NPC standards.

Not so Ipswich, who have been fueling the never ending spiral of massive wages, by taking overpaid and over rated ex premier league players like Bullard and Bowyer, putting them on massive wages, with no investement in the long term, and blowing huge chunks of revenue in the short term for these overpaid duds not to perform.

Ipswich have had unfair advantage over us for years, no other team would begrudge us our new stadium and most are well read enough to know how we got here, not so much the suffolk country bumpkins.

I would suggest they have a long hard look at themselves and up the road in Norwich, start investing their money in improving the club, its facilites and finding/promoting young and hungry players rather than following the same failed strategy of buying washed up has beens on extortionate contracts that deliver nothing. :tosser:

:amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex:

Ah, but did you casual observers look around their forum?

They didn't mind accusing us of only being in trouble because of supporter apathy, and this chestnut about our lack of support during the Withdean years - basically tarnishing all of us as plastics. I don't mind throwing that right back at them, and if the good ones are embarrassed about the bad, then let them deal with their own.

Ignorant tossers, how dare they be so repugnant after partaking of our hospitality.
Some even called Brighton a shit-hole. I didn't know Ipswich was such a reflection of Paradise.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think some of these posts are a bit unfair. It looks like most of the ITFC fans were embarrassed about the banner, and do not understand why it was directed at us. I spoke to a Town fan in Dicks bar after the game, and he said it was ridiculous. Whilst we were keeping things afloat (just) at Withdean, they went into administration. What does that say about them? I think its a bit daft of us to carry on with all this, when we all know the truth about our shiny new home, and how great it is.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
He starts of with "I thought it was clever". How on earth can that be described as clever, when it was a double negative and thus didn't make any sense at all?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The response from other IT fans on their board to that post should call for pause from those of us here who now profess to "hate" Ipswich. Ignorant they most clearly are not. Aware of their own and football's as a whole reliance on big money? Most certainly.

Sent from my little computer/phone thing using Tapatalk
:thumbsup: absolutely this. Didn't half improve the atmosphere though didn't it? punk:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Shouldn't tarnish the whole Ipswich support just from this. Most seem to disagree with it and the majority of supporters that I spoke to on the way back were a decent bunch.

et viola on TWTD.............................

This is an open letter to the people who put together the banner at The Amex on Saturday. It said "Some Things Money Can't Buy... Football Isn't One: The Amex".

This blog has been submitted by tractorboykent. To view more from this author click here.

I can only presume that this is related to the fact that the ground is named by an American corporate so the suggestion is that the club is bankrolled that way.

A few facts that you might have better checked first.

1) Amex only sponsor the ground

2) There are some money men behind the club but hardly in the Abramovich league and they have been involved in a long and admirable fight to save the club. If you're suggesting that the club has been acquired lock, stock and barrel by rich businessmen and that that's a bad thing then there are better examples a bit closer to home (have a look at the front of the shirt that you were no doubt wearing on Saturday.)

3) Check your history (read Build A Bonfire) Brighton's previous and long standing ground was sold from under them by two ex-directors and the club just about survived by playing at a 6,000 capacity converted athletics track. During this time a group of supporters worked though endless objections by local councils to every suggested alternative that was put forward until, after a feat of amazing patience and dedication, they got their result and their new ground was built. There are few clubs or fans that have been through as much. It's a proper club.

You did us no favours. The number of Brighton fans I heard trashing ITFC proved that. Look at their boards today too. And for what? As a club we have always had a pretty good reputation for fairness and a decent relationship with most other fans so what do we gain by winding people up where there's no point behind the attack anyway?

In the end it worked nicely for Brighton. Their chants of "can we play you every week" at the station afterwards made sense. Their team had played us off the park (not sure how Paul Jewell thinks we were the better side at any point during the 90 minutes) and they had the chance to ram your insult back down your throats. Happy days for some.

Maybe I - and all the Brighton fans - have got this wrong? Why don't you explain it? In the meantime, unfortunately the rest of us have been tarred with the same brush. Thanks.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I was f***ing livid on Saturday about it, now I just think its comical.

Firstly it didn't make sense, and I'm sure most people still aren't sure what they meant by it. Secondly the phrase pot-kettle-black springs to mind in regard to clubs supposedly being 'bankrolled' Also it showed they know f*** all about what's going on outside their own back garden.

I dont care what a bunch of uneducated Ipswich fans think of our club, and I would like to thank them massively for creating an atmosphere pre game that certainly would have helped our 11 on the pitch.

Oh and thank them for the very easy 3 points as well

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
After the game I was talking to a friend of mine who is an Ipswich supporter and was in the south stand. He knew nothing about the banner and could not see it from where he was standing. His comment was "what was all that about?". He loved the padded seats, local beer (to Ipswich) and the pies. Said he would certainly come back next season (assuming we are both still in the same Division!).

Given the double negative it was difficult to understand the point of the banner but most around me came to the conclusion it was based on the incorrect assumption that we are financed by American Express which we clearly are not beyond the stadium naming rights. I doubt the banner represents the views of the majority of ITFC fans. Sadly some fans of some teams feel we are intruding on their personal domains now we are in the Championship and seriously challenging for honours. They forget the years of struggle and have re-written history to suggest we have big financial backers that are buying us the success they once had and still crave. Some take out on us their frustration with their teams lack of progress. If we miss out on the play offs this season and have an attack of second season blues next year how will react?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Banner was wrong place, wrong time. They pissed on our party and that's the most annoying aspect of it all. Completely disrespectful. Just makes them look like a bunch of wankers and hypocrites. I hate Ipswich now. They can FOFF. If they think they are going to get a good reception from us next time they visit they can forget it. I know its not all Ipswich supporters, but that banner has personally pissed me off.

Seriously mate...............get a girlfriend.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
"I thought it was clever. "

Stopped-reading-there.jpg

et viola on TWTD.............................

This is an open letter to the people who put together the banner at The Amex on Saturday. It said "Some Things Money Can't Buy... Football Isn't One: The Amex".

This blog has been submitted by tractorboykent. To view more from this author click here.

I can only presume that this is related to the fact that the ground is named by an American corporate so the suggestion is that the club is bankrolled that way.

A few facts that you might have better checked first.

1) Amex only sponsor the ground

2) There are some money men behind the club but hardly in the Abramovich league and they have been involved in a long and admirable fight to save the club. If you're suggesting that the club has been acquired lock, stock and barrel by rich businessmen and that that's a bad thing then there are better examples a bit closer to home (have a look at the front of the shirt that you were no doubt wearing on Saturday.)

3) Check your history (read Build A Bonfire) Brighton's previous and long standing ground was sold from under them by two ex-directors and the club just about survived by playing at a 6,000 capacity converted athletics track. During this time a group of supporters worked though endless objections by local councils to every suggested alternative that was put forward until, after a feat of amazing patience and dedication, they got their result and their new ground was built. There are few clubs or fans that have been through as much. It's a proper club.

You did us no favours. The number of Brighton fans I heard trashing ITFC proved that. Look at their boards today too. And for what? As a club we have always had a pretty good reputation for fairness and a decent relationship with most other fans so what do we gain by winding people up where there's no point behind the attack anyway?

In the end it worked nicely for Brighton. Their chants of "can we play you every week" at the station afterwards made sense. Their team had played us off the park (not sure how Paul Jewell thinks we were the better side at any point during the 90 minutes) and they had the chance to ram your insult back down your throats. Happy days for some.

Maybe I - and all the Brighton fans - have got this wrong? Why don't you explain it? In the meantime, unfortunately the rest of us have been tarred with the same brush. Thanks.

That is what I would call 'result', because knowing that there was a stupid lot backing those banners, it's better when the cognitive peer at their own lot with some of the disdain they rightly deserve and invited.

I've made mention on their board, of how we have put efforts behind ailing clubs even while we were struggling. Hull and Plymouth had support from Brighton fans, particularly, and we have fostered a pretty good profile with other clubs as well.

That is a good read, and echoes what we have been telling them - with the response that we take ourselves and the banners too seriously!
Well, what is a joke, and what is notable for cocking a serious eye if not their banner effort? They obviously put some prep into it, so they deserve attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here