Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable - Lucas advocates the use of recreational drugs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry had to go and earn some cash to pay my Brighton and Hove council tax and therefore subsidise many of the Lucas' cronies.

I don't see discussions have moved to a higher level. Although certain posters who gave short three word sentence answers/statements on Monday night appear to have taken 'instruction' later on Tuesday and come out with the most eloborate and colourful suggestions. You know who they are.

Good morning.

Is your life so dull that you log onto here at 05:50 to post something?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Legalising non prescription drugs of any kind is not the way forward and will lead to all kinds of related crime. Things get banned for a reason, some elected 'visionary' who's own party represents 'the alternative lifestyle' deciding we should adopt a more relax attitude to cannabis is totally opposed to what many in society consider decent clean living.

Does no one remember the fairly recent ad campaigns showing the pitfalls and desperate repercussions of regularly smoking cannabis?

Those who agree obviously have the same values in life.

I believe former Kemp Town MP Des Turner made such a suggestion in 2008. He stood down some time later. Oh er...........Carry on Lucas!

Your post might carry some credibility if you also call on Mike Weatherly and Graham Bartlett to resign.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite the opposite - two kids . sunlight - birdsong.

...yet you still post on here at 5:50. Most people have better or more important things to do at this time of the day.

D

Deleted User X18H

...yet you still post on here at 5:50. Most people have better or more important things to do at this time of the day.

Really like what? At that point I'd been up since 4:35am . We all had a little play, then the darlings! Were settled and watching Cars or Toy Story. To keep my self awake I did some work and came on here to see if their was any overnight Albion news. If thats alright with the Police.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Tyrone, glad you're willing to engage directly - could you take up the challenge and answer the question everyone seems to ignore. Why should one drug - alcohol - be selected seemingly at random and treated completely differently? I say "seemingly at random" because there are no scientific, evidence-based criteria for it to be the only one legalised.

If you don't think cannabis etc should be decriminalised, why do you think alcohol should be legal? Do you not "give a shit" about the victims of alcohol abuse either? Or do you deny that there are any victims of alcohol abuse (I really hope your eyes aren't that tightly shut)?

The major difference (for mine) is the chemical properties of drugs as compared to alcohol. alcohol is a major issue, but fermented products chemical composition is far less dangerous in moderation.

One pint of beer isn't the same as one joint or one ecstacy tablet in regards to what it does to the brain.

It's valid you point out alcohol as a real problem, but I ask you this.

Note, i'm playing devils advocate here.

We as societies have shown we can't use alcohol responsibly. What makes you think by making drugs legal and more readily available to a greater % of the population that people aren't going to abuse these substances just as they have alcohol?

Is that not even a consideration amongst pro-legalisation opinons?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The major difference (for mine) is the chemical properties of drugs as compared to alcohol. alcohol is a major issue, but fermented products chemical composition is far less dangerous in moderation.

One pint of beer isn't the same as one joint or one ecstacy tablet in regards to what it does to the brain.

We as societies have shown we can't use alcohol responsibly. What makes you think by making drugs legal and more readily available to a greater % of the population that people aren't going to abuse these substances just as they have alcohol?

This

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

Do you mean short or long term?

Either way - isn't it? Do you have anything to back up that a pint of beer does less to the brain than a joint or a tablet? I think you'll find, particularly in the former case, that it actually does more. As quick examples, it has been proven (I hope you accept) that even one pint has a direct effect on both motor control and reaction times.

You may think it's too small an effect to notice - you may even still drive after one pint - but it's real and has been shown.

I'm not saying that one joint doesn't have an effect, but you can't just arbitrarily say one is worse than the other without some evidence...

It's valid you point out alcohol as a real problem, but I ask you this. Note, i'm playing devils advocate here. We as societies have shown we can't use alcohol responsibly. What makes you think by making drugs legal and more readily available to a greater % of the population that people aren't going to abuse these substances just as they have alcohol?

I've never said the percentage of users will drop. It may well do - if there's less of a "rebellion" aspect to it - or it may, in the short term increase. Boiling it down to the number of users completely misses the point(s) though...

a) When people do start to abuse drugs, a much higher number of them will get the help they need to stop, rather than spiralling out of control. This is evidenced, as earlier in the thread, by both Switzerland and Portugal

b) The availability of the drugs through legal channels (even supported where necessary in respect of addicts receiving medical help) can only cause a reduction in related crime in desperation to get them.

These two together - both addicts and victims are better off.

Same point back to you again though - you suggest that it will be the same as alcohol and that criminalisation keeps the number of abusers down, so this is an argument in favour of criminalising alcohol, isn't it?

fleet said:

...isn't much of a post. Thanks for joining in though. I suppose an equally worthwhile post on my part would be "All of what I've just said".

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
So today we have HB&B on one thread talking about how many properties he has and on this one about how he gets up early to earn loads of cash.

What a molecular, tiny, insignificant little penis you must have.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
are they organic drugs??

f***ing hell i remember pissed buying some herbal ecstacy in jubilee street in the mid 90s will never know if it was that or the umpteen bottles of 20/20 in the gloucester later that done me up gutswise but never again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i dont think anyone is proposing or advocating making drugs "readily available" and only a few advocate making a few of the drug legal. the debate is about decriminalising the possession of some drugs (which are after all natural products used for millenia in the case of cannabis) and some suggest broadening that to regulation and control of supply of others. in fact one of the very arguments is that we could decrease the availablity of hard narcotics such as cocaine and heroin if we seperated them from the cannabis supply channel, and tightly regulated their supply through licencing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They say it kills you, but they don't say when!

Brilliant stuff; so glad I've moved into her constituency from Tory Hove.

It's about time an MP stood up for the overwhelming social and scientific evidence that making criminals of drug users has no positive effects, rather than being stuck in the past.

What would a rational Police Officer with 22 years of experience and educated in Shoreham think about decimalisation of drugs?

Cannabis News - Serving Brighton Police Chief Backs Drugs Change

Graham Bartlett | LinkedIn

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

It's a sign of old age, either that or incontinence. This is that Tim is so full of excreta I don't think it's the latter.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Note, i'm playing devils advocate here.

First of all, there's no medical proof that either marijuana or ecstasy do harm the brain, there's been speculation but no really tangible proof, with alcohol there undoubtedly is. Given that we don't always use alcohol responsibly the same can be said of drugs, legalising won't stop people abusing them any more than it would stop people abusing alcohol if we introduced prohibition. At the end of the day if drugs were legalised at least there would be less crime and more control and maybe tax as well. Better keeping a civil servant in a job than a drug baron in pimped out Escalaides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here