Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Umpa Lumpa Robinson

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
That missed header cost us taht game, in my opinion. I'm not blaming him but that was a guilt edge chance to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

CKR to start next game on Saturday please.

yep

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's be consistent here. Dean Hammond missed sitters against Leeds and Sheff Utd that, arguably, cost us 3 points. Nobody is arguing for him to be dropped.

We are dealing with 2 young strikers in CKR and Jake. You can't just drop them after one bad game, the manager needs to show some faith.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:
Let's be consistent here. Dean Hammond missed sitters against Leeds and Sheff Utd that, arguably, cost us 3 points. Nobody is arguing for him to be dropped.

We are dealing with 2 young strikers in CKR and Jake. You can't just drop them after one bad game, the manager needs to show some faith.

he has been average at best for last 3 games

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Pavilionaire said:

But doesn't Kazim-Richards deserve his chance? It's not so much a case of dropping Jake as finding a way to fit K-R in, and you're not going to leave out Leon at the moment. I think we can afford to rotate them a bit.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
But doesn't Kazim-Richards deserve his chance? It's not so much a case of dropping Jake as finding a way to fit K-R in, and you're not going to leave out Leon at the moment. I think we can afford to rotate them a bit.

Spot on... Jakey has looked a bit tired in the last 2 games, and missed chances... needs a rest... CKR is the obvious choice to replace him, and deserves his chance as a starter... Robinson to come on as sub at Burnley, if needed... not knocking him, but he needs to understand that if he is not firing on all cylinders, then he will be dropped, with the strength in depth we have in our sqaud up-front... same applies to all of our strikers, BTW...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pavilionaire said:

But CKR came on and changed the game and nearly won it with the effort he had that just cleared the bar. Robinson was ineffective as he was against Sheffield United.

He did alright at Leeds but then so did everybody. That's two games on the trot where he has missed changes to score. There cannot be any harm in giving CKR a start now he has his goal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think Robinson has come on leaps and bounds this season and is starting to look a championship striker, in a very similar way to CKR.

However, they are both young and new to this standard. To ask any striker to come into what is a very good standard of football and play continuously is asking a bit much.

Time for Jake to take a break, give CKR his chance and let Jake start to put pressure on CKR from the bench. (Judging from saturday, having had CKR taking a break has worked wonders).

It's not criticism, it's recognising we have 2 talented young but inexperienced strikers.

Last edited:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
CKR did`nt get a fair crack in my opinion mainly due to the fact that we were playing a less expansive game at the start of the season and I cannot remember him getting any chances in front of goal.He did though hold the ball up well in those early games.This is an area where Robinson needs to work on because the ball has hardly stuck with him at all over the last 2 games.You can`t recieve the perfect ball all the time..ie the ball over the top or the ball to feet... sometimes what you get is scrappy and you have to clean it up and lay it off.I do think though that Robinson is going to be a great asset to the club but I would like to see CKR start the next 3 or 4 games.

Is that constructive or hyper critical.

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Jake had a bad game on Saturday and he was average against Sheff Utd. However, it may be that he plays for 4 or 5 games then to the bench and rotate him with CKR. That way they stay in the squad, get experience but not look out of their depth, which has looked likely on a couple of occasions so far.

I think Jake is best used away from home when there is more space behind the back four for him to exploit.

Bottom line is we have two good young strikers that can combine well with Leon, who has been excellent so far this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
binary said:

Bottom line is we have two good young strikers .

Surely you're forgetting Chris McPhee????

Somebody said to me of McPhee, "Watch this lad, his second touch is always a tackle." And he was right.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Since when did everybody get so sensitive on here?

1) The title isn't a criticism of Jake, it's a criticism of the manager - not a big one, just simply we're playing two midgets up front. Fans of Leon never got uptight about him being called a titch.

2) I still don't get it about Jake. That's my feeling, as much the comments ask for constructive criticism, I'm open to objective construction of the case for Jake, honest.

I'm sorry, but I can't go on bleeding heart sentimental comments like he's the best talent we've had in years, or he's better than a a lot of the donkeys that have come through on trial.

Yes he's young, yes he's talented, yes he's learning, but so are hundreds of other strikers. I'm a Brighton fan, a team in the Championship that needs players who can perform at that level.

I'm not a wannabe North stand coach pretending 'I know what Jake was trying to do there, bad luck son' or a father who goes teary eyed at the thought 'Jakey could have been my son' and I'm not a teenager thinking 'Jakey, he's just like me' - I simply objectively look to see how he can make the grade in this division. No need for the fizzy knickers a lot of you have out there about the kid. Calm down.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
twickers said:
Since when did everybody get so sensitive on here?

1) The title isn't a criticism of Jake, it's a criticism of the manager - not a big one, just simply we're playing two midgets up front. Fans of Leon never got uptight about him being called a titch.

2) I still don't get it about Jake. That's my feeling, as much the comments ask for constructive criticism, I'm open to objective construction of the case for Jake, honest.

I'm sorry, but I can't go on bleeding heart sentimental comments like he's the best talent we've had in years, or he's better than a a lot of the donkeys that have come through on trial.

Yes he's young, yes he's talented, yes he's learning, but so are hundreds of other strikers. I'm a Brighton fan, a team in the Championship that needs players who can perform at that level.

I'm not a wannabe North stand coach pretending 'I know what Jake was trying to do there, bad luck son' or a father who goes teary eyed at the thought 'Jakey could have been my son' and I'm not a teenager thinking 'Jakey, he's just like me' - I simply objectively look to see how he can make the grade in this division. No need for the fizzy knickers a lot of you have out there about the kid. Calm down.

People would reply more calmly if you used less emotive language to voice your opinion.

However you look at it Umpa Lumpa Robinson is derogartory.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
twickers said:
No need for the fizzy knickers a lot of you have out there about the kid.

Fizzy knickers?

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life.

I vow to use that term at least 5 times tomorrow, in separate instances.

Marvellous

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Yorkie said:
People would reply more calmly if you used less emotive language to voice your opinion.

However you look at it Umpa Lumpa Robinson is derogartory.

Where there's passion there's emotive language true. It's derogatory by the way.

There is no need for a hand-wringing debate about Robinson being dropped - it's a reflection of the growing strength of the squad.

Carole got left out at Hull and a player like Alexis Nicolas can't even make the bench at the moment.

Next game, one of Henderson or Blayney will be dropped, when Dodd is fit, one of him, Reid and Jarrett will not make it, or OGH might have to make way even though he's done great at RB.

There are just certain positions in the team where we are developing real strength, we should be more worried about those positions were there is currently no pressure on the incumbent player.

Comparing Jake's misses to Hammond's doesn't really stack up either, Hammond's main job is to organise our midfield and he will stay in the team on how well he does that, the goals are just the icing on the cake for him, particularly now he has a more defensive role in the centre. Jake's in the team to score goals, and if he's missing chances, he is not doing his job and we have to look at our other strong options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here