Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] UK's last coal fired power station closes...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
UK becomes first major industrialised economy to ditch coal from electricity grid.

Same day last blast furnaces goes too.

The transition is well underway and is gathering pace

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
What a shame. We still burn coal at home on the open fires and in the Aga, and it's getting more and more expensive and difficult to get hold of.

The end of an era.

I've got a frew friends with traction engines, and a strong interest in the heritage rail sector, and the difficulty in getting quality coal is becoming a real concern.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
What a shame. We still burn coal at home on the open fires and in the Aga, and it's getting more and more expensive and difficult to get hold of.

The end of an era.

I've got a frew friends with traction engines, and a strong interest in the heritage rail sector, and the difficulty in getting quality coal is becoming a real concern.

Hopefully soon it'll be near impossible to get hold of. These things need to stay in the past while the climate is in crisis.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The end of an era.

Isn't Didsbury in an SCA (smoked controlled area)....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is it a good thing that we don't make steel anymore?
It would have been better if the Electric arc furnace was Port Talbot was ready now. But it won't come online for a few years...

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Isn't Didsbury in an SCA (smoked controlled area)....

Bizarre, I don't live anywhere near Didsbury so I wouldn't know.
We are in Cheshire, not a million miles away from the Welsh border, with no near neighbours.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Bizarre, I don't live anywhere near Didsbury so I wouldn't know.
We are in Cheshire, not a million miles away from the Welsh border, with no near neighbours.
Screenshot 2024-09-30 142740.png

:unsure:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The benefit of closing our own blast furnaces and importing steel from elsewhere, is that the carbon emissions count as someone else's quota. It's a negative as far as the planet goes, because it will make more emissions not less, and it's a negative as far as the economy goes because it puts lots of people out of work, but it's a positive as far as government spin goes because it helps them to claim they're getting nearer to net zero.

This was a Tory policy that Labour has enthusiastically taken up. Neither is much worse than the other in this case.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On the whole, I'd say no. It's a strategic asset. Outside of a transformation, the economy is going to need steel. It's very heavy, so moving it further distances is far from ideal on all sorts of levels, including the fuel/energy required to import it.
Need either a public/private arrangement or it to be nationalised as a strategic asset.
All this is further complicated by the green transition, and there are plans to produce green steel, but it'll take a few years to come on board.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hopefully soon it'll be near impossible to get hold of. These things need to stay in the past while the climate is in crisis.
Philistine! A few beautiful heritage trains and a few of the now very rare traction engines which occasionally get taken out aren't going to damage the planet.
Presumably, in your ideal world, barbecues will have to be stopped too? Too right - they produce more smoke than heritage steam trains in this country these days!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
UK becomes first major industrialised economy to ditch coal from electricity grid.

Same day last blast furnaces goes too.

The transition is well underway and is gathering pace
Tell that to China and India.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The end of an era.

Well we should jolly well keep some mines open, just for you and your friends.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On the whole, I'd say no. It's a strategic asset. Outside of a transformation, the economy is going to need steel. It's very heavy, so moving it further distances is far from ideal on all sorts of levels, including the fuel/energy required to import it.
Need either a public/private arrangement or it to be nationalised as a strategic asset.
All this is further complicated by the green transition, and there are plans to produce green steel, but it'll take a few years to come on board.
It has apparently been cheaper to import it from India rather than make it here for some time. Perhaps if we paid the welsh a few rupees a day it would become cost effective.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

The end of an era.

With the last power station closed down there should be more coal around for you to burn :shrug:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The irony, for many, is that Mrs Thatcher was right all along.
Right? She'd no doubt rejoice that her destruction of British manufacturing industry has been carried on even after she's gone. Still, I'm sure the banking and finance sector can keep us all happy and rich, and the country prosperous. We can still get nasty things like coal and steel from Russia and India - it's ecologically fine to ship it half way round the world - I mean, it's not as if those big ship things pump out any sort of noxious gas, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here