Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ukraine v England - internet only

Sportsnight would only pick it up for midweek games. Saturday nights? Not sure I remember International highlights popping up on Match of the Day, I think MOTD probably just dropped down the divisions and covered Brighton at Leyton Orient, or similar ..... but my memory may be letting me down there.

Internationals wern't played very often on Sarurday afternoons as they interrupted the League programme, The England -Scotlans match in the Home Internationals atr the end of the seaon was usually (?????) live ona saturday afternoon but that was after the league season had finished. Most internationals during the season were played midweek.
So it was Sportsnight highlights

or the live second half (ONLY) commentary on Radio 2 via a crackly telephone line................

Kid today eh! Don't know they're born.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hark at the OLDIES banging on about the radio and that. Give a f***. This is a bona fide England international in a game that counts towards rankings and as such should be available on the telebox. No **** is gonna go to the cinema or watch on a computer. f*** about.

Ridiculous.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Since I've cancelled my Sky subscription I actually feel like I've gone back in time (which is very liberating) and I'm looking forward to watching MOTD and The Football League show a bit like I did back in the 70's and 80's and actually enjoying the football a bit more.

Now all I need is a good old dose of Sportsnight on a tuesday night.

Less is definetly more, but trying telling that to todays kids.....:down:

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hark at the OLDIES banging on about the radio and that. Give a f***. This is a bona fide England international in a game that counts towards rankings and as such should be available on the telebox. No **** is gonna go to the cinema or watch on a computer. f*** about.

Ridiculous.

Well beyond the BBC, I'm struggling to think of a broadcaster that (it could be argued) have a moral obligation to show it.

The other thing to remember is that there is a sizeable (and can't be ignored) chunk of the audience who think there is far too much football on the television anyway.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nobody has a moral obligation at all and there may well be too much football on tv (though a lot of the games are championship or coca cola cup games and boring Premsiership games), however this is an ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL and should be available on the tv.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nobody has a moral obligation at all and there may well be too much football on tv (though a lot of the games are championship or coca cola cup games and boring Premsiership games), however this is an ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL and should be available on the tv.

But again we go back to fact that the rights are owned by the foreign football organisation, whilst you may disagree with the oldies, the opportunity to watch these type of games live is a relatively new thing.

They've become available since international football (like the premiership) has become an increasingly profitable business.

If the agent wanted too much and SKY / BBC didn't think them worth it, it isn't surprising that an internet only "broadcaster" has stepped in now the technology is catching up.

I'm only surprised it hasn't happened before.

I'd imagine the top Premierships clubs are watching closely, because it totally fits in with phase two of their plan for world domination.

They'd just love to be able to sell their games themselves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd imagine the top Premierships clubs are watching closely, because it totally fits in with phase two of their plan for world domination.

They'd just love to be able to sell their games themselves.

They'll end up killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
Look at boxing. That used to get HUGE coverage in years gone by. Bruno, Eubank, Benn etc, these fights became national events. Nowadays all the high-profile fights are all on PPV going out to a (relative) handful compared with the audiences before.

Hattons career has largely passed me by, as has Amir Khans. I might catch the knockout or the result on the news, but thats about it. If their fights were on terrestrial then I'd DEFFO be tuning in. But I'm not paying for it.

And I'll not pay to watch football on a PC. The whole concept of that is a complete and utter turn-off.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They'll end up killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
Look at boxing. That used to get HUGE coverage in years gone by. Bruno, Eubank, Benn etc, these fights became national events. Nowadays all the high-profile fights are all on PPV going out to a (relative) handful compared with the audiences before.

Hattons career has largely passed me by, as has Amir Khans. I might catch the knockout or the result on the news, but thats about it. If their fights were on terrestrial then I'd DEFFO be tuning in. But I'm not paying for it.

And I'll not pay to watch football on a PC. The whole concept of that is a complete and utter turn-off.

Unfortunately I'm not so sure. It won't kill the goose, it will just morph into a goose twizzler goose flavour snack.

The older people will eventually forget what goose tastes like, and the young kids won't care anyway because they've never experienced the taste of real goose.

The big clubs will increase their viewing figues and will have an audience of millions globally, which they totally control.

The other clubs will survive on the crumbs of the television rights, from playing the big teams and the big teams throwing a small percentage into a central pot.

It's what they want.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Couldn't agree more. It doesn't matter who bought the rights or whether we have to pay to watch or it's free...

Sitting at a table or desk watching a PC screen has no appeal whatsoever. That's not the way I want to watch football. And how do more than one watch a PC screen in comfort?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All this guff from Kentaro about it being a "new exciting opportunity" and how "sophisticated" consumers are is a load of patronising bollocks. I wouldn't care was FREE to watch on the internet, I just don't want to watch it on a computer screen because it'll be SHIZER.

They have even had the cheek to say it gives people choice !!!!

As some have mentioned, watching on a PC screen doesn't come close to watching in HD - something the broadcasting industry is keen to persuade us to take up - how does watching football on the internet drive the HD plan forward ?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
for the price of two and a half pints and a bag of Nobbys Nuts, you can pay for the subscription and purchase one of these, which will then connect your laptop/pc to a telly box and every one is a winner

connector_dvi.jpg

you can watch the game and MSN your mates at the same time, and if the game is shit, flick to boysfood.com for 19 seconds of pleasure!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
for the price of two and a half pints and a bag of Nobbys Nuts, you can pay for the subscription and purchase one of these, which will then connect your laptop/pc to a telly box and every one is a winner

connector_dvi.jpg

you can watch the game and MSN your mates at the same time, and if the game is shit, flick to boysfood.com for 19 seconds of pleasure!

Yeah sure...if your laptop has a DVI port, how many of those are there?

My laptop has one USB port, one Ethernet port and an RS232 port - not so easy to connect from these.

I wonder what sort of reception people with 1Mbit/s would get - particularly if the contention ratio is high. Better hope not too many people in the street are watching it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They have even had the cheek to say it gives people choice !!!!

As some have mentioned, watching on a PC screen doesn't come close to watching in HD - something the broadcasting industry is keen to persuade us to take up - how does watching football on the internet drive the HD plan forward ?

I wouldn't say the broadcasters are that keen by the lack of HD programmes and their vast back library of non HD content that they all fill the channels up with.

I have no idea whether the Ukrainian Television companies are even shooting the game in HD are you ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm not gonna watch it ANYWAY!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here