Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKCC14 - Quarter Final TWO: Fawlty Towers vs Only Fools & Horses

UKCC14 - Quarter Final TWO

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
This is a toughie, but gone for OF&H just because of the shear number of funny episodes. Fawlty Towers got out after 2 stunning series (as did The Young Ones)

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Apples and oranges. Story arc-centric v. episodic.

An epic clash between the elephant and the whale.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
That's a big statement. Only Fools and Horses ISN'T funny? Wow. You've put the cat among the pigeons there. I agree that the scene with Del falling through the bar is hugely overplayed, overrated and not particularly amusing. However, there are HUNDREDS of other moments that are.

Plus, Only Fools and Horses has six funny characters: Del, Rodney, Granddad, Uncle Albert, Trigger and Boycie. Fawlty Towers only has three: Basil, Manuel and The Major.

Don't forget Mickey Pearce. He was in 20 episodes, eight more than Basil was in Fawlty Towers.

Loved them both growing up.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
should of been the final

like two undefeated world class boxers

both would piss all other the rest

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't forget Mickey Pearce. He was in 20 episodes, eight more than Basil was in Fawlty Towers.

Loved them both growing up.

Mickey Pearce became synonymous with your daft shifty mate in every group, makes me laugh just thinking about him!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Tough call because they have both produced so many memorable moments in British comedy. If having to choose one though I think I have to come down on the side of Fawlty Towers. There's just so much packed into 12 half-hour episodes and the writing and performances are so sharp. It's a masterpiece.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Voted not the greatest UK COMEDY of all time, but the Greatest TV SHOW OF ALL, by the British Film Institute...

Quite. This is a COMEDY competition. For pure comedy FT is comfortably better.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think this is a good assessment. Fawlty Towers was supremely written and performed, but it was essentially just Basil and/or Manuel ****ing things up, albeit in a very, very funny way.

Only Fools and Horses has far more substance, hence it lasted a lot longer.

Sorry. Faulty towers ended because John Cleese and Connie booth decided to stop it despite pressure from the bbc. They knew is was close to perfection and didn't want to produce a version that might be seen as trading on the success of the first two series.

Ps oddly the two old ladies, miss tibbs and ???, appeared in only fools and horses on one occasion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be interesting to see if OFAH can sneak ahead here and what effect the casual weekend NSC user will have on this poll.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
OFAH coming back. As Delboy might say "Nice and easy Trig, nice and easy, I think we're onto a winner here..."

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Half a day to go. Has Fawlty done it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
10 mins left, will there be a late 'mantis shrimp' like flurry of votes for OFAH, or has the comedy behemoth FT completed it's rout!? ???

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Such a shame, I was hoping OF&H was going to sneak it over the weekend but it wasn't to be. I'm going to go outside and attack my car with a STICK in protest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here