Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK inbound air travel ban.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Great that we’ve given them all weekend to fly back with the virus with no test or quarantine upon return for those that make it this weekend. Seems very sensible indeed.

It’s impossible to get a test turn around In a day or two in the countries that still have a corridor - Barbados sends PCR tests to Tobago for results as an example.

Holiday makers have also been tested at midpoint as part of entry

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
UK death rate is 92 per million population in the last week, higher than anywhere else in the world, it’s time we shut up shop, stop exporting our poison around the world.

Then we need to deal with the utter scum who ‘run’ this country for their own gain, whilst allowing us to be the shambles of the world.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It's way too late and probably still not enough. When we are a (mostly) vaccinated country we mustn't let in new strains that might undo all that work without first checking and using the precautionary principle.

But I suspect we will just open the borders when mostly vaccinated and fail on that front.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
.. and of course these people will be rigorously monitored to ensure that they stick to their isolation rules?

Which people? There’s no one travelling unless it’s the small numbers coming home or for emergencies.

I’ve enjoyed people saying there is flights coming in everyday from xyz and posting an arrivals board - 90 percent of these are cargo flights.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which people? There’s no one travelling unless it’s the small numbers coming home or for emergencies.

I’ve enjoyed people saying there is flights coming in everyday from xyz and posting an arrivals board - 90 percent of these are cargo flights.

The people (however small you think in number) who are arriving by air in the United Kingdom (or is it just England).

:facepalm:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The people (however small you think in number) who are arriving by air in the United Kingdom (or is it just England).

:facepalm:

It’s tiny, I’ve spent the last week looking at figures

All the locations enter require some sort of test, I wouldn’t worry to much about the people coming back from places with about 5 cases per 100k

The headline of “flights banned” is flashy, but realistically there’s not a lot to ban.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s tiny, I’ve spent the last week looking at figures

All the locations enter require some sort of test, I wouldn’t worry to much about the people coming back from places with about 5 cases per 100k

The headline of “flights banned” is flashy, but realistically there’s not a lot to ban.

"All travel corridors will close from 04:00 GMT on Monday. After that, arrivals to the UK will need to quarantine for up to 10 days, unless they test negative after five days."
My point still applies. However few there might be, will their compliance to their conditions of entry be monitored in any sort of effective way?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
"All travel corridors will close from 04:00 GMT on Monday. After that, arrivals to the UK will need to quarantine for up to 10 days, unless they test negative after five days."
My point still applies. However few there might be, will their compliance to their conditions of entry be monitored in any sort of effective way?

The same as before, locator form/spot checks

How do you make sure people waiting for test results in the U.K. comply?

Given it’s nearly impossible to get a test result in Barbados (for example) inside 48 in hours - how do you stop people on flights tonight, tomorrow and Sunday getting back?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The same as before, locator form/spot checks

How do you make sure people waiting for test results in the U.K. comply?

Given it’s nearly impossible to get a test result in Barbados (for example) inside 48 in hours - how do you stop people on flights tonight, tomorrow and Sunday getting back?

...... which is why I'm cynically wondering whether it's any good.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
...... which is why I'm cynically wondering whether it's any good.

So what’s the other option?

These are currently the place that have one in place:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav...ories-and-regions-on-the-travel-corridor-list

Most of these places have banned flights from U.K. already/there is currently no flights/they don’t have the ability to turn tests around quickly.

Three days isn’t an issue.

It’s like us banning all flights to South America the other day, there hasn’t been flights for months, a good head line, but doesn’t actually affect much.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Has Tenerife escaped CV19 cases and deaths just now?

No, but not nearly as bad as there and people appear to be more compliant. Difficult to give precise numbers given transient population but currently about 300/100,000.

Cases on way down but island economy in total shreds and lots of very sad sights. Hardship isn't difficult to see, really very distressing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, but not nearly as bad as there and people appear to be more compliant. Difficult to give precise numbers given transient population but currently about 300/100,000.

Cases on way down but island economy in total shreds and lots of very sad sights. Hardship isn't difficult to see, really very distressing

I haven’t been to The Canaries since 1993. Were there still a load of casual worker residents eg Brits, but also Africans selling bits?

How the hell are those people paying their rent, buying food?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I haven’t been to The Canaries since 1993. Were there still a load of casual worker residents eg Brits, but also Africans selling bits?

How the hell are those people paying their rent, buying food?

Lots of winter only residents, from all over. Not so much of the African stuff but it's obviously a heavy cash based economy so those people will not benefit from the local furlough payments.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
The sad irony is that the reason we didn’t ban inbound travel at the beginning of last year is because of the economic harm it would have caused. That’s not directly aimed at the British government, we weren’t the only ones caught off guard, but in this case the benefit of hindsight hurts a lot.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It’s not a ban, it’s the ending of the travel corridors that meant arrivals from certain countries didn’t have to self isolate on arrival. Now everyone who arrives into country has to have had a negative test within the 72 hours before they travelled and will have to isolate for 10 days on arrival (they can pay for a private test after 5 days and if negative they no longer need to isolate). Travel is currently banned from South America and Portugal due to the new Brazilian variant found.

thank you and once again thank you .......not much leeway there is there ....tow the line or **** off.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
MP's say one reason the travel ban takes 72+ hours to implement is that these things take time.
How much notice did France give us when they closed Calais?
Meanwhile you have to self isolate when entering the UK. Arrive at Gatwick and catch a train, bus or taxi home....
Adam Hills (Last Leg) returned to Australia for Xmas. On landing he was immediately isolated and moved, in isolation, to a specific hotel and had to stay alone in his room for 10 days. That's the way to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here