Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA Retract Eduardo Diving Ban

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Notice they've knocked it on the head JUST BEFORE the first round of CL games started. How utterly transparent. UEFA knew damn well that if they'd stuck to their guns over this (as they should have done), then they'd have had a RAFT of dives to wade their way through and scrutinise after every single night of CL football.

UEFA, now they've had time to THINK about it, have quite clearly thought "naah....f*** that", and so we go back to diving players going totally unpunished (or at worst getting a yellow).

Once again, the tail wags the dog and its the big clubs calling the shots. Platini should resign, he is not fit for purpose.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Oh well that's the green light to cheat then. What a bunch of crap. He should have been made an example of and as many cheats as needed punished until they get the message.

And as for his comments..."I'm very pleased that we have finally arrived at the truth," said Eduardo in a statement on the Arsenal website. "I just want to say that I am a fair player. To score goals you must take your opportunities and I'm not the type of player who needs to be dishonest to score goals." ...quite frankly that makes me want to puke.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
There was contact from the goalkeeper.

It was a penalty.

The referee was right.

The decision is right.

Arsene told me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or getting a penalty and possibly getting the keeper sent off!

Indeed.
And the thing is, Eduardo and Arsenal can now carry on this RIDICULOUS charade of pretending that the keeper actually brought him down. It insults the intelligence, it really does.

Eduardo knows he dived.
Arsenal know he dived.
Anyone who has seen the footage knows he dived. WE'VE ALL SEEN IT YOU IDIOTS.

But no. Lets carry on sticking to the AGENDA eh, cos UEFA have just ok'd it so it MUST have been a foul.

Truley, truley pathetic.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
The problem of ' diving ' ( or simulation ) is so deep rooted and so natural to so many players now,that only the most drastic action will now have any effect.
How do you turn the clock back to a time, when the only thought in most players minds was, first and foremost, to stay on their feet and score. The sight of Greaves or Best racing into the box, drawing the keeper and slipping the ball into an empty net has receded into the mists of time.
There are two main problems....
1) Most players today are not skillful enough to dribble around the keeper and therefore the dive is the easy way out. Make sure you reach the ball a split second before the keeper, toe it miles pass him, trail a leg and go flying, face down. Easy.
2) The rewards for the attacking side are too much. The award of a penalty is often accompanied by a sending off.

Drastic action....suspend all penalty kicks from the game of football, for an indefinite period.
You have to change the mindset of everyone within the game.
Defenders will still be punished inside the box but I guarantee you will start to see attackers riding tackles, goalies winning more 50-50 balls and technique within the penalty box improving immeasurably.
Outrageous, I know, but it would work. Only problem is...the authorities wouldn't have the balls to introduce it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry Horney, but thats madness. It'd send it too far the other way, with defenders given full licence to take a player out without the punishment of conceding a pen. You'd just end up with strikers being cut down every single time they were in the box.

No, UEFA were on the right track with this. There SHOULD be restrospective video review of incidents where there is a suspicion that a player dived, and if a panel decrees that he dived, then there should be a ban given out. Where they screwed up is the arbirtary decision, out of the blue, just to punish Eduardo for it and then say "but we won't be doing it ALL the time guys". That was plain idiotic.

UEFA just need to get this rule down in black and white. "Video evidence can and will be used to punish players suspected of diving". THEN start handing out the bans. But you can't just start doing it without getting the proper rules in place first - thats why this whole case has collapsed and left them looking like the fools they are.

Sorry Horney, but thats madness. It'd send it too far the other way, with defenders given full licence to take a player out without the punishment of conceding a pen. You'd just end up with strikers being cut down every single time they were in the box.

No, UEFA were on the right track with this. There SHOULD be restrospective video review of incidents where there is a suspicion that a player dived, and if a panel decrees that he dived, then there should be a ban given out. Where they screwed up is the arbirtary decision, out of the blue, just to punish Eduardo for it and then say "but we won't be doing it ALL the time guys". That was plain idiotic.

UEFA just need to get this rule down in black and white. "Video evidence can and will be used to punish players suspected of diving". THEN start handing out the bans. But you can't just start doing it without getting the proper rules in place first - thats why this whole case has collapsed and left them looking like the fools they are.

Agreed on all points. I said when they announced the ban that it needed to be backed up with a new law which stated that they had the power to ban all diving (or simulation, or whatever they want to call it) retrospectively. As soon as they didn't do that (in fact they said 'oh we're not going to punish anyone else') they were always destined to end up with egg on their face.

Stumpy Tim

Over here, in Ozzie rules & Rugby League, players often don't get sent off... the ref puts in a report to a disciplinary panel - and every week they look at ten or so incidents. Why can't each top division do the same for diving? And not just penalty decisions... but all blatant dives

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very simple what happened here. A well-intentioned UEFA were trying to do the right thing - they just picked the wrong example, this one wasn't easy to nail and maybe they took a bit too much notice of Gordon Smith's outburst. Ultimately they had no real option but to back off. There will be other, far more blatant examples so we'll see what they do then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think they've had their fingers sufficiently burnt after this fiasco.

Until or unless they actually put something down in the rules about retrospective action, then the diving will go back to being ignored by UEFA. It'll just be down to the refs to try to spot it and call it.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Yup, some worms escaped from the almighty great can they opoened, so they rapidly backtracked and closed it before any more CL games could be played.

What a f***ing shambles that mob at UEFA are. Utter, utter dickheads.
I wouldn't trust them to run a bath.

Easy?

What is the likelihood of Sepp Blatter striding into your lounge and asking you if he can turn the old taps on in your bathroom and run some Badedas under the gushing water so that you can soak your aches and pains away in your tub?

:wrong:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy?

What is the likelihood of Sepp Blatter striding into your lounge and asking you if he can turn the old taps on in your bathroom and run some Badedas under the gushing water so that you can soak your aches and pains away in your tub?

:wrong:

Thankfully minimal. But its PLATINI I've chewing out at the moment.

UEFA have egg all over their face with this. Even when they TRY to do the right thing, they royally nouse it up and end up meekly climbing down. You can't just arbitrarily make up rules on the hoof, randomly clobber someone, and then say "but we won't be doing this all the time". It was never going to stand up under those circumstances. Notice the timing of this announcement - on the EVE of the full resumption of the Champions League. UEFA knew full well that if they hadn't desperately backpeddled on this, then by Thursday morning they'd have at LEAST a dozen requests from managers for video review and rulings over various dives and dubious decisions over the next two nights games.

Utter shambles. All they needed to do, right from the outset, was say something along the lines of "video evidence can and will be used to analyse any cases of suspected simulation, and if found guilty by our panel, then players will be subject to a ban". Simples. Everyone knows where they stand (or fall), everyones had fair warning, now lets get on with it. But no, they can't even get that right.

Whats also been particularly nauseating after all this, is Eduardo's and Arsenals smug reaction at arriving at "the truth". Do they honestly think we're all STUPID or something ? Eduardo knows he dived. Arsenal know he dived. Anyone who has seen the replay knows he dived. But they still maintain this absurd, tedious charade to try to claim that what we all saw in glorious HD didn't actually happen, and that he was in fact taken out by the keeper. Absolute cobblers. It really does insult the intelligence.
We've all SEEN THE EVIDENCE FOR OURSELVES you lying, self-serving bunch of cheating toerags.

I dunno whts worse. UEFA's rank incompetence or Arsenals pathetically transparent bleatings. Normally I don't hold much of a grudge against Arsenal. But after this, I sincerely hope they get brutally buttfucked in the group stage this year.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Thankfully minimal. But its PLATINI I've chewing out at the moment.

UEFA have egg all over their face with this. Even when they TRY to do the right thing, they royally nouse it up and end up meekly climbing down. You can't just arbitrarily make up rules on the hoof, randomly clobber someone, and then say "but we won't be doing this all the time". It was never going to stand up under those circumstances. Notice the timing of this announcement - on the EVE of the full resumption of the Champions League. UEFA knew full well that if they hadn't desperately backpeddled on this, then by Thursday morning they'd have at LEAST a dozen requests from managers for video review and rulings over various dives and dubious decisions over the next two nights games.

Utter shambles. All they needed to do, right from the outset, was say something along the lines of "video evidence can and will be used to analyse any cases of suspected simulation, and if found guilty by our panel, then players will be subject to a ban". Simples. Everyone knows where they stand (or fall), everyones had fair warning, now lets get on with it. But no, they can't even get that right.

Whats also been particularly nauseating after all this, is Eduardo's and Arsenals smug reaction at arriving at "the truth". Do they honestly think we're all STUPID or something ? Eduardo knows he dived. Arsenal know he dived. Anyone who has seen the replay knows he dived. But they still maintain this absurd, tedious charade to try to claim that what we all saw in glorious HD didn't actually happen, and that he was in fact taken out by the keeper. Absolute cobblers. It really does insult the intelligence.
We've all SEEN THE EVIDENCE FOR OURSELVES you lying, self-serving bunch of cheating toerags.

I dunno whts worse. UEFA's rank incompetence or Arsenals pathetically transparent bleatings. Normally I don't hold much of a grudge against Arsenal. But after this, I sincerely hope they get brutally buttfucked in the group stage this year.

You clearly feel strongly about this matter.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Whether or not he dived is immaterial. The referee awarded a penalty and the goal stands. end of debate.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Ok?

Attachments

• cake.jpg
    cake.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 43

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have not seen it in HD - but there did look to be doubt. You are stretching for the ball, the 14st keeper is piling out of his goal towards you. Do you:

* touch the ball and stay on your feet and take the hit, and sod the consequences you want it to be a clear decision
* forget the ball and simply hurdle the keeper to avoid potential injury
* touch the ball and get off the ground so that when the keeper hits you it minimises any injury, and you know that will get you the penalty

Unfortuntately for Eduardo the keeper managed to pull himself back - so he looked a goon. But from my viewing there was some contact (or at least sufficient doubt) so he just about got away with it.

EUFA (as pointed out by Rootin' Tootin') chose the wrong incident. The fools. Eduardo did not do an awful lot wrong for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here