Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uckfield Lewes line to re-open?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lewes station was in a different position in 1868 though.

This is also where part of the problem lies, the current rail network was largely built by the Victorians during a time when it was required to perform in a fairly different manner than today, it was also often the quickest or only alternative for moving freight and people around the country. As a result much of the infrastructure would be better off being replaced, rather than maintained at a cost or constantly repaired, but there appears to be neither the finance nor the will to do this.

I remember someone once telling me that the easiest, and cheapest, way to move coal around the country was by canal. I have to admit that I found it hard to believe, but if you know that you will require a certain tonnage of a material at a certain location every week then the supply is constant and the speed or route it travels to get there is probably irrelevant...I think it was the Victorians who came up with that theory.

These days, of course, the easiest way to move energy around the country is by wire. The easiest way to send messages around the country is by internet. The easiest way to shop is also by internet. And the easiest way to watch football matches is by satellite TV.

A lot of travel isn't necessary. If only people would abandon motoring as a part of shopping or leisure activities, the problem would be solved. We'd then have a transport system that was capable of delivering hassle free access to work.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I agree with you totally LB, the problem is that attitudes to both work and travel need to change...it is necessary to introduce a greater degree of flexibility...technology now means that there are many choices available for pretty much everything, pursuading people to abandon their car in favour of public transport (or none at all) is only part of it.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
If only people would abandon motoring as a part of shopping or leisure activities, the problem would be solved. We'd then have a transport system that was capable of delivering hassle free access to work.

Would it still make it cost effective though? You can't just abandon motoring per-sae for leisure activities, and expect the public transport system to pick it up - that still wouldn't work.

You can't just abandon motoring per-se for leisure activities, and expect the public transport system to pick it up.

But what if you started by TAXING leisure motoring, for example, by increasing parking charges to a level that made it much, much cheaper to use public transport?

If folk don't like being taxed ... how about BANNING non-essential cars from travelling to congested destinations?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It will be interesting to see what happens in 5 years time when all the Southern franchises expire and whether the old Southern Region will reappear as one super sized franchise and then some sort of line rebuilding/reopening might be part of the franchise condition.

The best thing they could do for the good of the railway is get the whole thing back under one company as a non profit making organisation, straight away it would free up the £millions that just floats around the system being passed from one company to another in the way of penalty fines for delays to trains. The system we've got now does'nt work and never will work all the time a price is being put on everything, It comes to something when even a person comitting suicide is going to result in one company or another having to pick up a large bill for delay's and it all being dependant on how and where the person managed to kill themself as to who picks up the bill for it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The best thing they could do for the good of the railway is get the whole thing back under one company as a non profit making organisation, straight away it would free up the £millions that just floats around the system being passed from one company to another in the way of penalty fines for delays to trains. The system we've got now does'nt work and never will work all the time a price is being put on everything, It comes to something when even a person comitting suicide is going to result in one company or another having to pick up a large bill for delay's and it all being dependant on how and where the person managed to kill themself as to who picks up the bill for it.

Unlikely, would drivers accept lower wages ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think the Bluebell may one day reopen as a working line, it's extending to East Grinstead shortly, and just needs to defeat a few nimbys near Cooksbridge to make it to Lewes. It may not be in my lifetime though.

There are bigger barriers than that to extending the Bluebell Railway south to Lewes.
Newick and Chailey where they have built houses where the station used to be.
Barcombe. Same thing.

I hate to disagree with Lord B, but by using the old alignment and linking with the Lewes/Wivelsfield line south of Cooksbridge, access to Lewes could be achieved. If the trains were to continue to Brighton they would have to reverse at Lewes. Otherwise passengers could connect there for Brighton trains.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Never gonna happen because the "strategists" of today only look at the bottom line and the rate of return. Local planners also let railway land be built on, Chailey, Newick, Hailsham, Polegate. It has happened all over the county. East Grinstead to Haywards Heath might happen though.

I hate to disagree with Lord B, but by using the old alignment and linking with the Lewes/Wivelsfield line south of Cooksbridge, access to Lewes could be achieved. If the trains were to continue to Brighton they would have to reverse at Lewes. Otherwise passengers could connect there for Brighton trains.
That's absolutely true ... I don't disagree at all.

The question is - what passengers are we talking about? How many people actually want to travel between Oxted, Crowborough, Uckfield and Brighton?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
That's absolutely true ... I don't disagree at all.

The question is - what passengers are we talking about? How many people actually want to travel between Oxted, Crowborough, Uckfield and Brighton?

I do!

But there are surely some destinations that could be marketed? Tourist trade to Hever castle maybe.

I do!

But there are surely some destinations that could be marketed? Tourist trade to Hever castle maybe.
If it made any sense to use Hever station to get to Hever Castle, they'd be saying so. This is from the Hever Castle website:-

Directions

By Rail

Trains run from London Victoria and London Bridge (via Oxted or East Croydon) to Edenbridge Town Station, and then take a taxi for three miles to the castle. Relyon Taxis are near the station, telephone 01732 863800, or call Edenbridge Cars on 01732 864009. We suggest that you book a taxi in advance.

Hever Station (next on line, unmanned and no taxis) is a one-mile rural walk to the castle.

There are no regular bus services to Hever Castle.

Eurostar terminal at Ashford is 1¾ hours drive by road.

Directions

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
If it made any sense to use Hever station to get to Hever Castle, they'd be saying so. This is from the Hever Castle website:-

Directions

By Rail

Trains run from London Victoria and London Bridge (via Oxted or East Croydon) to Edenbridge Town Station, and then take a taxi for three miles to the castle. Relyon Taxis are near the station, telephone 01732 863800, or call Edenbridge Cars on 01732 864009. We suggest that you book a taxi in advance.

Hever Station (next on line, unmanned and no taxis) is a one-mile rural walk to the castle.

There are no regular bus services to Hever Castle.

Eurostar terminal at Ashford is 1¾ hours drive by road.

Directions

I walked there from the station, it isn't THAT tricky. I do take your point however.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They would'nt have to would they the drivers have allways been looked after when it comes down to pay no matter how the railway's been run.

Hmmmmm... BB

I detect a sense of I don't like train drivers :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here