Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U2's greatest song

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
"Far away, so close" runs "One" pretty close too. Fantastic lyrics, beautiful music.

I like most of their stuff, from the early days through to today - not many bands can evolve their sound so dramatically between albums and still sound fresh.

Love the old rock 'n' roll stuff, but the slow, emotional tracks get the hair standing up on the back of my neck!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
In regards to BAD, it is a good track but that is to me their best "LIVE" track.

They always play it for ages but The Edge with his lead guitar is mesmerising on that track live!!

:clap:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surrender
Far Away, So Close
One Tree Hill
Running To Stand Still

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Nobby Nomates said:
"Far away, so close" runs "One" pretty close too. Fantastic lyrics, beautiful music.

I like most of their stuff, from the early days through to today - not many bands can evolve their sound so dramatically between albums and still sound fresh.

Love the old rock 'n' roll stuff, but the slow, emotional tracks get the hair standing up on the back of my neck!

i agree i love that song always makes me tingly.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Spanish Eyes or Elvis Presley and America

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I really like "The Fly". Inventive, interesting lyrically, not their normal sort of song, and keeps going right to the end without getting repetitive.

"One" is the best of their more normal kind of songs. Though I prefer the Johnny Cash version.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wembley stadium 1987 ,The Joshua tree tour and they crank up to 'Where the streets have no name'.It dosnt get any better than that.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
kinkygerbil said:
Where The Streets Have No Name

How can you argue with the GERBIL.

Yoda

English & European
gazwag said:
With or Without You
Pride
Bad

Thank you for putting me out of my misery. I’ve been trying to remember the name of that song.

With Or Without You & I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For are two for my favourites. :clap: :clap2: :clap:

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
I can't narrow it down to one but here's a few of my favourites:

New York,
Surrender,
Wire,
Until The End Of The World,
Elevation,
Vertigo (I know it's new but it's a classic already)
Gone,
Beautiful Day,
Twilight
Bullet The Blue Sky,
Like A Song,
Love Is Blindness,
The Electric Co.,
Boy/Girl,
Electrical Storm,
Discotheque,
Indian Summer Sky,
Seconds,
The Three Sunrises,
Zooropa,
Even Better Than The Real Thing,
October,
Do You Feel Loved?,
Desire.

In fact I can feel a compilation coming on......

I know that (justifiably in some cases) they have their critics but they are the one band that I have kept returning to for the last 20+ years. If Vertigo is anything to go by then "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" should be a brilliant album.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
New Years Day. Incredibly moving for me at least - was played at the funeral of an acquaintance of mine who killed themselves, was their favourite song.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is haunting, particularly for an Irish listener

Don't like the new stuff much.

GVR

Aug 28, 2003
Philippines
So many to choose from but my top 3 would be:
1. Pride (the song that got me into U2)
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. With Or Without You

(Although this is subject to change depending on mood!).

Best U2 lyric is from 'Running To Stand Still':
You've got to cry without weeping.
Talk without speaking,
Scream without raising your voice'
- the depths of despair from which there is no escape.

Best U2 live moment:
Cork, Parc Ui Caoimh (I think!), August 1987, last concert of The Joshua Tree Tour - darkened stage, soundtrack of the intro to 'Where The Streets...' then BANG, FLASH, WALLOP - bass kicks in, the band are on stage and the lights come on and the crowd goes absoultely bonkers.

Best U2 Video Moment:
Sunday Bloody Sunday on Rattle & Hum. Half way through the song Bono starts talking about the Troubles back home and as the ignorant US fans start cheering, Bono suddenly lays into the Republicans...'f*** The Revolution'. It was the day after the Enniskillen Bombings. Very emotional stuff for a confused half English/half Irish Catholic!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bullet The Blue Sky
With or Without You
I still haven't found what I'm looking for

In fact The Joshua Tree in full

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I have seen U2 live 12 times now, cant wait for the 2005 tour, plan to add 4 or 5 more to that list!

From memory I have seen them at

Milton Keynes Bowl - June 1985 (Unforgettable Fire Tour) with REM, Ramones & Billy Bragg
NEC Birmingham - June 1987 (Joshua Tree Tour)
Wembley Stadium - June 1987 with the Pogues and Lone Justice
Celtic Park, Glasgow - August 1993 (Zoo Tour)
Wembley Stadium - August 1993
Wembley Stadium - August 1993
Cardiff Arms Park - August 1993
Feynoord Stadium - July 1997 (Popmart Tour)
Wembley Stadium - August 1997
Murryfield - September 1997 (the day after Di had her car crash - MLK was dedicated to her and they had her picture on the giant screens - very moving)
Earls Court - August 2001 (Elevation tour)
Earls Court - August 2001

I first got into them after my Sister saw them at the Birmingham Odeon in 1982 (and my other sister had seen them at Greenbelt in 1981!). I wasnt allowed to go as was only young, finally got to see them on the Unforgettable fire tour when i was old enough to go on my own.

Favourite tracks "live" are (not in any order)

End of the World
Please
Bullet the blue sky
Out of control
Fire
Streets - stunning live song!
Sunday bloody sunday
Bad
Kite
An Cat Dub

I could keep adding to the list. They are one of the few bands who have changed musical direction several times and i have liked each albumn. Roll on the next one, i like "Vertigo".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here