Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U-21s Retained List

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
U-21S RETAINED LIST IS CONFIRMED

The club has agreed new contracts with five members of the under-21 squad, while five players have been advised their contracts will not be renewed.

New contracts have been agreed with Benicio Baker-Boaitey, Joshua Duffus, Cam Peupion and Imari Samuels.

Jack Hinchy, Leigh Kavanagh, Brody Peart, Tommy Reid and Bailey Smith have been released.

Ian Buckman, Albion's head of academy said, “Obviously there is good news for those being given extended terms and disappointment for the players not offered new contracts.

"We will continue to offer our support to the five and help them achieve their next steps in the coming weeks and months. We wish them well for the future.

“For those offered new terms, their aim will be to continue their development next season with the ambition of making our first-team squad.”

cc: @AZ Gull

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Very surprised to see Leigh Kavanagh not retained. Featured in a couple of matchday squads this season as well.
Thought he might be the next cab off the rank for the 1st Team football. I guess Ed Turns, Noel Atom and Rauri McConville are head of him in development and potential.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Also Jack Hinchy is a notable non retainee. Was around the first team squad.

Also a bit suprised that Peupion was retained. I know he played first team football, but being a couple of years older, I'd have guessed that it went the other way.

As ever, well done to those who got deals and hope we can find you a decent club, to those who didn't

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Genuine question: How much input might RDZ have had in these decisions had he remained at the club?
Probably very little. I'm sure he'd have had an input on squad planning but the retained list from the U21s would likely be dealt with by Ian Buckman, Shannon Ruth and David Weir.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
As others have said interesting that Kavanagh and Hinchy haven’t been retained, both made first team squads with Hinchy getting on in an Fa Cup game. Wonder if either actually turned down new contracts rather than just being released?

New deal for Cam Peupion is interesting too, he’ll have to be named in the PL squad if he’s to play next season as he’s too old to be an U21. More than likely another loan beckons as he couldn’t move for the second half of this season due to the two club rule.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Killian Cahill and Ben Jackson both offered deals as well (yet to sign) according to the PL retained list. Odd that there is no mention of either of them in the article.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Genuine question: How much input might RDZ have had in these decisions had he remained at the club?
A little bit, in that they were the players that were in and around the first team, but I suspect that was as a result of Ruth, Weir and the others telling RDZ that these were the players who were ready, at least initially.

Also Jack Hinchy is a notable non retainee. Was around the first team squad.

Also a bit suprised that Peupion was retained. I know he played first team football, but being a couple of years older, I'd have guessed that it went the other way.

As ever, well done to those who got deals and hope we can find you a decent club, to those who didn't
I wonder if we extended Peupion so we can get a fee for him in the summer?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
U-21S RETAINED LIST IS CONFIRMED

The club has agreed new contracts with five members of the under-21 squad, while five players have been advised their contracts will not be renewed.

New contracts have been agreed with Benicio Baker-Boaitey, Joshua Duffus, Cam Peupion and Imari Samuels.

Jack Hinchy, Leigh Kavanagh, Brody Peart, Tommy Reid and Bailey Smith have been released.

Ian Buckman, Albion's head of academy said, “Obviously there is good news for those being given extended terms and disappointment for the players not offered new contracts.

"We will continue to offer our support to the five and help them achieve their next steps in the coming weeks and months. We wish them well for the future.

“For those offered new terms, their aim will be to continue their development next season with the ambition of making our first-team squad.”

cc: @AZ Gull
New contracts for four, not five. Alzate also released - shame he never quite made it here - hope he finds a good club; certainly Championship level. I'd've thought.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hinchy had a fairly unsuccessful loan at Shrewsbury - only a few appearances - and has been released. Samuels had even fewer games on loan at Fleetwood - but retained. Will be interesting to see what lies in store for our other returning loanees.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Hinchy had a fairly unsuccessful loan at Shrewsbury - only a few appearances - and has been released. Samuels had even fewer games on loan at Fleetwood - but retained. Will be interesting to see what lies in store for our other returning loanees.
Samuels had been deemed good enough for for a few England youth levels.

However as with a lot of these boys they are being kept up to build a team to help the few who might have a chance of making it to the first team.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Interesting re Kavanagh, good enough for inclusion in six matchday squads but not enough to keep around.
Yup a little surprising. But his presence in the matchday squad could take him a fair bit to a professional contract in other club.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Peupion is the real surprise retention. Looked way out of depth when he played for us.
Got little or no game time when on loan to a Divsion 2 club last season
It was a League 1 club (Cheltenham) - we pulled him out in December because it was such a crappy loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here