Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two tier league proposed ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He comment about Welsh Teams playing in "English Football", somewhat contradicts the actual history.

As far as I was aware there isn't an "English Football League", it's "The Football League" comprising mostly English teams with some from Wales.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
No David...instead of the bigoted two joining the premiershite why don't you f*** off back north of the border.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He only wants a two tier Premier League as he fears Everton will get relegated this season!

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
What a load of old bollocks, I f***ing hate the prem attitude. Football is about all of us not the select few. The Celtic Rangers thing is a total non starter, they would be a problem fan and trouble wise as well. They are scottish end of.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This keeps getting raised every now and then but, as far as I can see, it's a complete non-starter.

As I understand it, to change the PL needs two-thirds of the clubs voting for that change. But I don't understand why the Big Four plus clubs that are safe (Aston Villa, Spurs, Man City) would vote for a system that gives them less money - it's just not going to happen.

The same would apply for the FL - why would clubs in the lower reaches vote for a system that would give more money to the teams at the top end of the league?

Am I missing something?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I thought Scotland wanted to be independent? Spend most of their time and energy hating us, and now they want to join us! :shrug:Anyway we already have a 2nd tier. Its called the Championship.:rant:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
What a fantastic idea, let Rangers and Celtic into the Football league...the first time the Huns had a game in Manchester it would be absolute carnage...like a trip back to the 70's.

Never, never, never! (said in the style of Ian Paisley)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I love the quote in one article that i read this week about this saying that Celtic and Rangers would challenge the top 4 in the Premiership.

They couldnt touch the top 4 and be very surprised if either of them finished in the top 8 to be honest.

They can f*** off as far as im concerned, they dont want to be involved in the GB team for the olympics but want to be involved in the premier league.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I love the quote in one article that i read this week about this saying that Celtic and Rangers would challenge the top 4 in the Premiership.

They couldnt touch the top 4 and be very surprised if either of them finished in the top 8 to be honest.

They can f*** off as far as im concerned, they dont want to be involved in the GB team for the olympics but want to be involved in the premier league.

What scottish players would make it into the England team though?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This keeps getting raised every now and then but, as far as I can see, it's a complete non-starter.

As I understand it, to change the PL needs two-thirds of the clubs voting for that change. But I don't understand why the Big Four plus clubs that are safe (Aston Villa, Spurs, Man City) would vote for a system that gives them less money - it's just not going to happen.

The same would apply for the FL - why would clubs in the lower reaches vote for a system that would give more money to the teams at the top end of the league?

Am I missing something?

The problem is that there are more and more foreign owners of PL clubs and they respect money, not tradition. If they see it as a way of increasing revenue then it would be something they will look at. At present, I think foreign ownership falls below two thirds but it is getting closer and closer.

The problem for them would be if it were sanctioned by Fifa because that would all but destroy the Scottish Premier League and seriously weaken the SFA.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I thought i read somewhere that if Rangers & Celtic joined any English league then FIFA would insist that we had a Great British team instead of England, Scotland !

Anyway this all smacks of desperation to raise more money for the elite,who at the end of the day have all over spent on players,wages etc. First the prem then a two tier prem what next in ten years when they feel they need extra money. Its obvious a Euro league.

Feck the prem, It kinda says teams like us preparing for the challange of the future might aswell not bother because the doors shut. Complete BOLLOX............Sometimes i wonder about football

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here