Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two points from six - hardly play off form?

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Att his stage of the season, would you have preferred a win and a defeat (mpre points but presumably one iffy perfoamnce for the defeat) or two draws - less points but with decent performances?

Am I alone in thinking that we hmay have missed a trick here.

Aren't Leeds and Forest both playoff rivals?? :thud:

I really don't see the problem with two draws. A few months back we would probably have come away with nothing!

I'm surprised Storer68 can get so worked up about it all to be honest. I wouldn't be able to if I'd posted this a few months back

and if you want more little gems and predictions of doom and gloom from NSC's very own cheery chappie you'll find lots more nuggets here:

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?t=116927

True but that was after Christmas when we were knocking around lower mid table.

Just curious to knoiw whether people think that getting three points (but losing a game) out of six against close rivals would have been a better return than two although unbeaten.

But nice to see people firmly putting the rose tints on and biting so enthusiatically.........

In theory I would have agreed but the confidence gained from two very decent performances cannot be underestimeated!

Besides at Forest we could have won it and at Leeds almost definitely. on another day we may have got 4 or even 6 points.

but didn't.

And barely looked like scoring a goal.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
but didn't.

And barely looked like scoring a goal.

...apart from the offisde goal against Leeds, and the missed sitter at Forest.

You have spectacularly missed the point (unlike Brighton) with these two games. Quite pertinently, we stopped Leeds and Forest from winning. So no, a win and a defeat would not have been better as we would have lost ground on one or both of them.

You're a little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Where are you going for your holiday this year? The airing cupboard?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

Just curious to knoiw whether people think that getting three points (but losing a game) out of six against close rivals would have been a better return than two although unbeaten.
I think it would have made very little difference, we'd be ONE point better off but one of our rivals would be TWO points better off, the playoff race would still be just as tight as it is now.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Att his stage of the season, would you have preferred a win and a defeat (mpre points but presumably one iffy perfoamnce for the defeat) or two draws - less points but with decent performances?

Good point, and about time someone spoke up. I'm constantly amazed as to why we don't just win every game we play – then we wouldn't have this nonsense about other teams, worrying about promotion and so on. Haven't we missed a trick here too?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
...apart from the offisde goal against Leeds, and the missed sitter at Forest.

You have spectacularly missed the point (unlike Brighton) with these two games. Quite pertinently, we stopped Leeds and Forest from winning. So no, a win and a defeat would not have been better as we would have lost ground on one or both of them.

You're a little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Where are you going for your holiday this year? The airing cupboard?

Way to go Al :bowdown:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The airing cupboard :D

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

How fairweather are you? why not carry on not being "interested" in BHAFC for a couple of years when hopefully we will have a nice stadium for you to sit in and watch us thumping Chelsea and Man Utd while you munch on a prawn sandwich.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Good point, and about time someone spoke up. I'm constantly amazed as to why we don't just win every game we play – then we wouldn't have this nonsense about other teams, worrying about promotion and so on. Haven't we missed a trick here too?

Jesus, He's got it...fetch me the batphone, I must ring Dean immediately...:D

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Looking at every other post in this thread it would appear that YES you are alone in thinking we've missed a trick.

Its an exciting time to be an Albion fan just now, why don't you try and embrace that. In the words of Oddball, 'Stop hitting us with your negative vibes man.'

What "trick" have we missed then? That Dick Knight didn't thrash out some sort of agreement with the 2 other clubs to negotiate an extra point?

And anyway, we'd have been in a worse position with a win at forest and a loss at Leeds IMO.

had we beaten Forest, we would be fifth with 63 and them seventh with 60

IMHO wins are better than draws (especially against close rivals). Wilkins seems to set his team up for these games to get draws at best rather than try to win.

Last month I saw these games as crucial to determining whether we could get into the play offs or not. It just sems to me that we needed to be brave to try and win one of them............

Not getting a win puts more pressure on us now because I think the play off situation is going to determined by the odd point here aor there, and I worry that we chosing a "safe" option may come back to haunt us..

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
f*** me, you're a tough crowd.

We've had a fantastic March, only slipping up against Walsall, playing Donny off the park, holding our own against Forest and Leeds and this with a makeshift defence including Mayo.

Thank f*** we didn't lose. You'd be calling for Wilkins head.

:clap: i'd have taken 5 points off Wallsall Donny and Forrest away while only conceding one goal

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
IMHO wins are better than draws (especially against close rivals). IMHO, Wilkins set his team up for tyhese games to get draws rather than try to win.

Last month I saw these games as crucial to determining whether we could get into the play offs or not. It just sems to me that we weren't brave enough to try and win one of them............

Not getting a win puts more pressure on us IMHO because I think the play off situation is going to determined by the odd point and I fear that we may miss out because we chose a "safe" option..
I don't think he had any choice. He's got injuries to key players, Westlake was unavailable at Leeds, and Whing was suspended at Forest. He's reshuffled the pack and been forced to bring in two squad players who have been around for a decade!

Besides which, a defeat at Leeds would have meant no play-offs for us. I'd say our chances of a play-off place (with our favourable fixture list) must now be put at 50/50. That'll do me.

Let's see where we stand after Tuesday night. Donny v Leeds, Carlisle v Forest.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

IMHO wins are better than draws (especially against close rivals). Wilkins seems to set his team up for these games to get draws at best rather than try to win.

Last month I saw these games as crucial to determining whether we could get into the play offs or not. It just sems to me that we needed to be brave to try and win one of them............

Not getting a win puts more pressure on us now because I think the play off situation is going to determined by the odd point here aor there, and I worry that we chosing a "safe" option may come back to haunt us..

Sorry, but I disagree with every single word.

I am delighted with those two draws because I expected us to lose both games. I really cannot see how anyone can be criticised for those performances. It is so easy to say we should have done this, or we should have done that, but the opposition teams can say the same.

We have not been let down by anyone.

The team have not depressed me at all, but your comments certainly have.

How fairweather are you? why not carry on not being "interested" in BHAFC for a couple of years when hopefully we will have a nice stadium for you to sit in and watch us thumping Chelsea and Man Utd while you munch on a prawn sandwich.

Fairweather enough to buy a THREE YEAR SEASON TICKET- THAt's £1200 TO YOU.

2500+ games

and sometimes I go off it.

(<ind you its not as bad as the 86-7 season!)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, we'd have 62 and so would they.

And if we'd beaten Forest and lost to Leeds, this is what the table would have looked like:

5 Nottm Forest 39 +23 62
6 Tranmere 41 +9 62
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 Brighton 40 +8 61
8 Leeds 39 +27 60

So actually, we'd have been worse off with a win and a loss IMO, in that Leeds would only need a draw in their game in hand to jump above us, with a draw still insufficient in our game in hand over Tranmere to see us jump above them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here