Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two games and 16 goals!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
What an incredible week:

Last Saturday I was at Hartlepool to watch an incredible 10 goal bonanza between Hartlepool and Wrexham and this weekend was at Plymouth to watch our lads humiliated 5-1 (anyone noticed how Plymouth always seem to do well against us - still remember that 3-3 draw from last season!) ....

So in 8 days I travelled 870 miles and saw 16 goals ... no feckin good for the blood pressure ....

This coming Saturday it's the Fans United Cambridge v Wycombe game - wonder how many there will be!!!???

Better do some work and earn some pennies meantime

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
And they sayy the premiership is the best league in the world!!!

you dont get many 6-4's in the premiership do ya!!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
H2O said:
And they sayy the premiership is the best league in the world!!!

you dont get many 6-4's in the premiership do ya!!

Yeah ... but I wish we'd won 5-1 rather than the reverse!
:p

seriously I can't think of any time in my life watching football (and that goes back over 38 years that I can ever remember seeing two consecutive matches and 16 goals!!! And not even on TV!

Our 8-2 defeat to Bristol Rovers was probably the closest back in 1973 ... but I can't remember what the previous or next games were, nor the result! Probably too numbed to care! ... think the 4-0 FA Cup defeat to Walton and Hersham was quite close, but can't remember whether it was separated by other matches!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
On the Left Wing said:
seriously I can't think of any time in my life watching football (and that goes back over 38 years that I can ever remember seeing two consecutive matches and 16 goals!!! And not even on TV!

Remember in 1977(?), when the 7-2 win over York was on MOTD? The other game shown that night was between (I think) Stoke and QPR, and ended 5-3. 17 goals was not a bad haul for one programme, considering they only sent cameras to cover two games back in those days.

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
Trufflehound said:
Remember in 1977(?), when the 7-2 win over York was on MOTD? The other game shown that night was between (I think) Stoke and QPR, and ended 5-3. 17 goals was not a bad haul for one programme, considering they only sent cameras to cover two games back in those days.

That 7-2 win i remember well. The following home game we drew 1-1 with the Croydon scum and the Tuesday after that we beat Walsall 7-0.

In between we even beat WBA away 2-0 in the League cup and Tranmere 3-1 in the league.

I went to all but Tranmere so saw 20 goals in 18 days, with only 3 of them being scored against us.

Brilliant being an Albion fan even back then.:lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
The only thing that comes close for total bizzareness is when I took my son Ben to watch Hibs v Kilmarnock about 8 years ago.

We arrived two minutes late (problems parking) and missed the first goal, went for a pie and bovril just before half time and missed the second goal and then left two minutes early to miss the rush and missed the third goal. The game finished 3-0 and we didn't see a single goal!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lewes beating Redbridge 5-4 just before Christmas was an absolute stonker. I missed the first goal (having a slash) which went in after about 30 seconds. I came out, took my place on the terracing with my beer (someone else was looking after it for me...) to be told Lewes were already one down. Half an hour later, Lewes were four down, and proceeded to miss a penalty.

But you could always feel Lewes were going to get back into it. They eventually hit the winning goal after 75 minutes. The last 15 minutes were pretty boring really.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Going right back in time now, but back in December 1977 I saw us lose 3-6 at Bolton, and then 1-6 at home to Sheffield United the follwing week. Happy days.....

Talk of Cambridge reminds me of a remarkable game at Ninian Park in April 1994. A couple of weeks after we'd beaten Albion 5-3 at the Goldstone, we lost 2-7 at home to Cambridge. What made it even more incredible was the fact that the half time score was 0-1!

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
and reminds me of the reporter on a Scottish newspaper (a guy called Mr Duncan) who covered the infamous Peterhead 15 Fort William 0 match ... but he missed the first 8 goals as he was in the bar and thought the supporters were winding him up about the score!!!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
in late summer '89 did the Sheff Utd (lost 5-4) and Wolves (won 4-2) away days in the same week. Lots of goals were being scored at that time. Liverpool scored 9 against someone on the same night as the Wolves game.:lolol:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Talk of Cambridge reminds me of a remarkable game at Ninian Park in April 1994. A couple of weeks after we'd beaten Albion 5-3 at the Goldstone, we lost 2-7 at home to Cambridge.

I remember the 5-3 well... to think I was a mere 15 year old watching that game... Also remember being chuffed to see your 2-7 scoreline not long after! :lol:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
In season'65-66 a sequence of eight games at the Goldstone yielded 46 goals with the Albion scoring 33(including wins of 10-1,9-1,4-3 and 6-4).What I wouldn't give for some of those goals tomorrow night

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:
Lewes beating Redbridge 5-4 just before Christmas was an absolute stonker. I missed the first goal (having a slash) which went in after about 30 seconds. I came out, took my place on the terracing with my beer (someone else was looking after it for me...) to be told Lewes were already one down. Half an hour later, Lewes were four down, and proceeded to miss a penalty.

But you could always feel Lewes were going to get back into it. They eventually hit the winning goal after 75 minutes. The last 15 minutes were pretty boring really.

That was a cracking game.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
I remember the 5-3 well... to think I was a mere 15 year old watching that game.

I have a copy of that game on video. Bought it on eBay a few months ago. Crazy match. City 1-0 down, then 5-1 up, then 5-3 in the end after having Damon Searle sent off. Paul Millar scored an absolute screamer for us from about 30 yards. Kurt Nogan was one of your scorers.

The game also included one of the most amazing misses I've ever seen by none other than Phil Stant - or Stantona as he is affectionately known down here. He was already wheeling away in celebration when the ball hit the post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here